Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • XC/AM Mud Tyres… Help!
  • ceramicmatt

As the weather has been so bad over the past week, and likely to last through June, I’m thinking about buying a pair of mud tyres this week. My Maxxis High Rollers, which I usually swear by, have been slipping quite a bit and I could do with a bit more grip. Maxxis Medusas anyone, or should I look at other brands? The mud tyres I get will be on standby next weekend for the fully sussed xc event in the forest of dean.

Any advice in the quagmire of tyre choices will be much appreciated!

Cheers

ratherbeintobago

People used to swear by Panaracer Trailrakers, but they had a reputation for being draggy and I have a suspicion they’ve been discontinued.

I’ve been running Bonty Mud Xs all winter (and they’re still on the bike…) – great in the slop; frightening on wet rock.

Newer options would be Schwalbe Dirty Dans (which is what I’ll probably go for when the Mud Xs are done) or Conti Mud Kings (1.8″); bear in mind that whatever you get it’s better going for something narrower than your normal tyres so they cut through the mud to where the ground is firmer.

Andy

jonnyrockymountain

In mud I run maxxis swamp thing 2.35 front with a 2.0 medusa on back brilliant set for me?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ratherbeintobago

In mud I run maxxis swamp thing 2.35 front with a 2.0 medusa on back brilliant set for me?

That not going to be a bit draggy for XC? Sounds good for DH though.

Andy

seanodav
    Free Member

I use swampy up front with high roller on the back,this is becoming nearly all year round unfortunately 😥

ceramicmatt

I’ve been looking at the schwalbe dirty dans, seem more expensive than others, but could be worth a go.
    Thanks the advice on running a smaller width. I run 2.1’s at the moment, so maybe 1.8’s?

grahamt1980

Have a look at the panaracer cg soft conditions. I have been running mine for a few months and they have been great. Not too draggy either.

Northwind

Continental Baron, black chili version… IMO they make the swampthing absolutely irrelevant, they’re comparable in bad mud and enormously better at everything else- they still grip well on harder stuff, and they roll massively better.

What makes them a no-brainer for me isn’t the mud performance, there are others that will do just as well at that, it’s the dry/damp performance- it’s almost as good as a supertacky Highroller, and not much slower. They’re the only mud tyre I’d consider leaving on after things dry up.

I’ve used Mud Xs but I don’t think I’ll put one on the front again, good in mud but appalling at some other stuff, wet rock especially… I’d sooner have a standard knobbly and struggle in mud, than put up with that. Good on the back though.

br
    Free Member

Mud X’s are great and not too slow, but have you not thought of just dropping your tyre pressures to get past the next ‘couple’ of days?

leigh0rough0riders
    Free Member

Northwind – Continental Baron, black chili version…

Would you recommend another Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili to match or another tyre either front or back, for all year all round use?

What tyre is best to pair with Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili?
    Thanks!

Clobber
    Free Member

I have some brand new in box 2.0 dirty dans, brilliant tyre in these conditions, email in my profile if anyone wants some

rewski
    Free Member

If you’re running tubeless then I really recommend the spesh storm controls 2 bliss, easy fit and very similiiar tread to mud x but I find a bit faster on firmer mud.

Northwind

leigh0rough0riders – Member

Would you recommend another Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili to match or another tyre either front or back, for all year all round use?

Haven’t used it on the back of a pedalling bike tbh, though it works well on the downhill bike. I match it up on the trailbike with one of my de-knobbled Nevegals usually, less grip but much quicker rolling, suits me better but ymmv.

leigh0rough0riders
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Continental Baron, black chili version..

I second that. Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili 3ply 180tpi folding tyre. Superb tyre for British off road conditions!

Gotama
    Free Member

Third for conti BC baron. Best tyre I’ve ridden evahhhh.

As for the rear if you think traction will be an issue stick one on the back, work great at either end. Don’t pair it with a rubber queen on the back as they are massively different in volume and if nothing else it makes the bike look shit.

Mud x or specialzed storm on the rear may work nicely if it is muddy and they’re cheaper than the baron.

Vortexracing

I always use the sampy combo 42 front and 60 rear, but it has more drag than Danny la Rue.

you guys that are using swampthings, what compound are you using on the front?

Have a look at the panaracer cg soft conditions. I have been running mine for a few months and they have been great. Not too draggy either.

I Have been considering those as well, thay have had some very good reviews.

Northwind

Conti Baron. I don’t often /thread, but on this occasion, /thread 😉

Oh OK, justification- they grip better in mud than a supertacky swampthing. They work well on all surfaces, not just mud. And they roll faster than a maxxpro swampthing. Expensive but 100% worth it.

If you’re considering swampthings, don’t, they’re no longer relevant tbh.

Arguably a little big/slow/heavy/grippy for basic XC stuff. Now personalyl I’ve never found an XC mud tyre that I trust on the front, they all seem to just lie in wait for a wet rock to crash on. Mud X or Storm Control does well on the back though. I’d sooner just use a standard suitable knobbly on the front- Minion, deknobbled Nevegal maybe.

But I really mean it about the Baron. Really not a Conti fan here but they nailed it, 100%.

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

I’ve been running Bonty Mud Xs all winter (and they’re still on the bike…) – great in the slop; frightening on wet rock.

I’ve been running Mud X’s non stop for the past two years and find them ideal for the kind of riding I do (Lakes and steep local stuff). I’ve never had a problem with them on wet rock. In fact, they’ve gripped admirably compared to other tyre’s I’ve used.

Northwind

Mud Xs seem pretty choosy about what they stick to- that was how mine got me so bad, it worked fine for the first few wet rock sections then it found a big slab of some different rock and bang, wheel went out like I’d hit ice. I’ve ridden that section loads of times and it’s the only tyre that struggled with it (rode it later on the same day with a nevegal dtc and it didn’t so much as twitch)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Minion is normally as far as I would go unless it was proper muddy. At that point I think I would be looking for some rockier routes as you will just be churning up the trails 🙁

votchy
    Free Member

If you need a mud tyre then drag kind of becomes irrelevant surely? Anyway, for proper mud I use a swampy up front and a trailraker on the back. Been running a set of Dirty Dan’s and they are brilliant when gravity is on your side ie downhill but have found them lacking when pedalling, not as much bite in mud as a swampy or a trailraker.

Northwind

votchy – Member

If you need a mud tyre then drag kind of becomes irrelevant surely?

Why?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘XC/AM Mud Tyres… Help!’ is closed to new replies.