Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • XC tyres for 3/4's of year?
  • dickydownes
    Free Member

Am riding IRC mythos XC but they’re due to be changed. They’re 1.95″. Is there any advantage of going bigger if i’m doing mainly XC stuff, and trail centres? Would like to keep as light as i can. Any recommendations?

cp

Maxxis ADvantage 2.1. brilliant all rounders, relatively light and survive well in peak district rocks. Work well in softer stuff as well.

Struggle a bit in the claggy mud, but you should really be running mud specific tyres anyway when it’s like that.

Been using for years. Much prefer them to nobby nics.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

1.95 are a bit on the thin side regardless of time of year. a all round tread pattern 2.1 or the like can be used most of the year round. I use a 2.25 Racing ralph front and rear on nearly every ride I do these days bar really muddy days.

dickydownes
    Free Member

Yeah 1.95″ are a bit sketchy sometimes but they do roll fast. It is an old bike but more than capable (original Superlight) and is due for a few bits to be replaced. Maybe 1.95″ was a trend back then?

cp

The advantages roll very well – certainly a lot better than the nobby do.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Specialized’s The Captain. Fantastic tyres.

nicko74

Bonty Mud X in 2.0″, assuming you’re riding in the UK. Tbh, with recent weather, it’d do year round really – not too heavy, not too draggy, pretty grippy.

snowpaul
    Free Member

I rate bonty jones acx / mud x and kenda nevegals…

I hated those mythos 1.95s! had them on my race bike and I was prob running them too hard but god they scared me!

paul

Northwind

I didn’t really get on with Advantages, didn’t like how they corner, but that might just be a personal taste thing- I was impressed with the speed and the mud clearing though. Worth considering, anyway.

GW’s head’ll explode if I recommend Nevegals twice in a day.

dickie
    Free Member
    velomanic
    Free Member

Conti X-King RaceSport 2.2

I’ll second that!

njee20
    Free Member

+1 for 2.25″ Ralphs

PJM1974
    Free Member

X-King here too, surprisingly good. The boggo folding jobs can be made tubeless with very little faff, they’re doing sterling service on my hardtail.

Note that they size up pretty large for a 2.2″ tyre.

tomd
    Free Member

Been using the Spesh The Captain 2.0 Control tyres and nothing else for the last year on the hardtail. Good all rounders, but a bit sketchy on the front in mud. For trail centres, they are great all year. They roll fast and grip well in dry and intermediate conditions.

Ladders
    Free Member

I’ve been using the Rocket Rons that came on my Spark and they seem ok.

Don’t seem to roll that fast but fairly grippy. They are useless in the mud though when they seem to clog up really easily. If I was going to keep them I would go for a Racing Ralph on the back, but I’m after a pair of X-kings after my friend reccomended them.

Did buy a pair of Bonty Mud-X 1.8’s and really liked them. Used them when it was soft a month ago and they seem to grip really well and roll quite quick. Not sure how well they would cope on really rocky stuff and I managed to snake bite the rear on a kerb running it at 35psi. Want to get a set of new wheels and run them tubeless on them for winter.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘XC tyres for 3/4's of year?’ is closed to new replies.