Xc single ring set up

Home Forum Bike Forum Xc single ring set up

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Xc single ring set up
  • Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Just stick a single ring on whatever cranks you have, doesn’t need to be anything specific.

I run a 36t ring on XTR cranks.

Premier Icon nickdavies
    Subscriber

I run 1×10 on my bikes, purely for simplicity. It’s fine for XC, you can run any groupset just with single ring, and pick a ring size to suit your riding. I run a 34t front and only miss the lower gears if I’m doing sustained climbing over a couple of days then it starts to get to me. For most XC though its fine.

If you want to try it, chuck on an on one steel single ring and superstar device to try it and then you can go back if you don’t like it. The new clutch shimano mechs are supposed to be a lot better for 1×10 but I haven’t tried one. Maybe look at the larger range rear 10spd cassettes to get a bit of a lower gear, I.e. 11-36.

Premier Icon schmiken
    Subscriber

I run 1×10 on my XC race bike. It works brilliantly as long as you gear it appropriately for the conditions you’ll be riding in. I run a 34T One Key ring mated to an 11-36 cassette on a 650.

smoothwhale

Hi
    It will soon be time to replace the worn out chainrings and cassette on my cannondale f700 hard tail. I like the thought of a 1×10 setup and was wondering if anyone has one with an Xc bias? All the things I’ve found seem to be aimed at enduro/downhill (shimano zee for example) I’m replacing everything but don’t want to spend much!

smoothwhale

Any issues with the chain coming off?

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

I run a top guide and no.

JoB

running XT chainset, cassette and mech with E Thirteen ring and Pauls chainguide here for XC, all fine

as others have said it’s a simple thing to do, doesn’t need anything special although a clutch rear mech can help hold the chain on the ring, and remove chainstay clatter

smoothwhale

I was thinking of getting a shimano zee chainset and shifter and a slx rear mech with clutch. Is it just me or do chain guides seem pricey for what is a bit of plastic attached with a metal bracket?!

crankrider

Any issues with the chain coming off?

These:

From HERE

I got mine in the pre-order, had about 10 rides so far with no chain-guide (clutch mech though) and not lost the chain once, V Happy!

Doesnt look like they have them in stock now though, and i did wait a while for mine…

Premier Icon catfishsalesco
    Subscriber

If you are going 1×10 & not planning on changing to 2×10, then why not get a zee mech? the shortest you can get a SLX mech is medium cage, which is more suited to a double.

Premier Icon Wally
    Subscriber

What are people running 1×10 on a 29er?

gaberin

I have a zee rear mech on my xc bike, it runs great. I wouldn’t bother with a zee chainset as it looks like just a deore with zee on it..
    My full set up, of deore crank, slx cassette, KMC L chain, hope ring, zee mech, mrp 1x and slx shifter cost £130.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Xc single ring set up’ is closed to new replies.