• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by benji.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • xc racing, what's the etiquette these days?
  • Losidan
    Free Member

So, I am a decidedly low rung time trial rider (24 – 25 min tens and 1:06 25’s) and decided to enter an xc race for a change since tt is feeling a little stale of late. Round four of the Nutcracker series is my toe dipping.
    What is the etiquette yhese days. I went for vets category in a mad rush of blood to the head instead of fun, don’t know why.

Is it normal cycling shorts or baggy type? Do you guys normally carry some tools and spare tube with you? Camelbak or bidon?

Thanks

cynic-al
    Free Member

24 is too fast for fun or sport IMO, that would be sandbagging.

Lycra, bottle if you have support, yes to tools.

radoggair
    Free Member

lycra shorts, spare tube, co2 cannister and tyre lever only. Any other mechanical i’d be f*cked and wait till i get to the pits. I bottle, 500ml with new bottle every x laps ( depending on length of lap/thirst)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alexpalacefan

How long is the race? For 2 hrs just a bottle will do, maybe a bladder for a 4hr.
    I’d carry a tube and a CO2 inflator.
    Baggies or lycra? Up to you, you’ll see both.

You’ll do fine, they’re won on the ups, and the trails round there will have plenty of room for passing.

Be polite when passing (or being passed) is all you need to do, except remember to have a good time 🙂

APF

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Vets will be nearly as fast as the elite

it will be lycra rather than baggies

bottle rather than camelback for most

minimal tools, co2 and pump or a sealant can

also can be the grumpiest category so watch out for people with no sense of humour and a potty mouth

big_n_daft
    Free Member

24 is too fast for fun or sport IMO, that would be sandbagging.

depends on how fast you go up hills, I used to TT faster than the OP but would get pasted on a hilly XC course

rsvktm

I’ve done the Nutcracker events for the last couple of years, always in vets and normally finish just in or out of the top 10. Ride in whatever your comfiest in and use whatever your happiest with, however in the main it will be Lycra and bottles. Agree with minimal tools, especially this next race at Sheffield, it’s not like you will be in stuck in the middle of nowhere !
    Doesn’t look like will be a huge turnout as normally iro 50 vets, which can make for an interesting start but the courses generally allow plenty of overtaking opportunities. It is a very competitive category but also I would like to think a relaxed group of people. Enjoy and see you in a weeks time.

DT78
    Free Member

Go like the clappers from the start, if you aren’t in the big ring you aren’t pushing hard enough, get ahead of the main pack before the bottleneck at the first bit of singletrack bunches people up and they have to stop.

After that go at your own pace, keep safe and smooth in the singletrack, flatout on the fireroads and ups.

Fit non mountain bikers in xc races are the most annoying to get past 🙂

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

I went for vets category in a mad rush of blood to the head instead of fun, don’t know why.

Same race last year and the same decision for me. I got slaughtered. 😳

I’m enetering the fun category this year. It is a good race and friendly atmosphere.

LS
    Free Member

Wear what you want, nobody will care. No tools etc. for me in an XC, I’ll just pack if I have a mechanical. As said above, the front end of the Vets will be very fast but with your TT times as a guide you should be aiming for around the middle of the field.

molgrips
    Free Member

lycra shorts, spare tube, co2 cannister and tyre lever only.

Go tubeless. Not only is it a bit faster but you can leave the tube and CO2 at home.

I’d take tools though since whilst you may not be able to fix a mechanical in time to continue your race effectively, you still might have a long walk home.

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Hi All

I’m in a similar position to the OP and wondered do you need a race licence for the Nutcracker races or is it just BC races?

Cheers

TiRed

As above, lycra, bottle and minimal tools, a gel after each lap. I’m of similar speed to the OP and race E123. I raced the Gorrick 100, three laps and finished top third on my SS. But to be honest, bike skills not fitness are what held be back, I couldn’t have gone much faster even if I’d wanted to.

Just enjoy it.

benji
    Free Member

Vets is fine OP, not all of us are sweary mouthed grumps, I tend to make sure I don’t start to well, so get caught in the argy bargy, don’t want it, I’m not the quickest by a long shot, just enjoy riding somewhere different, and trying to race my mates. Just don’t fit your tri bars for the event 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘xc racing, what's the etiquette these days?’ is closed to new replies.