Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • XC racers, what do you ride? (Insiration needed)
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

As title suggests.

I will be racing xc next year and need some inspiration on what frameset to get. Would prefer a carbon hartail unless convinced otherwise.

So what have you got and why did you choose you particular bike? Photo’s are more than welcome.

cp

an on-one slot inbred with gears. having raced for years and years, I’m very much of the opinion that fit is more important than frame material or weight. nice to have light weight if it fits mind!

weeksy

a mate has this for sale

http://www.therevcounter.com/trc-cycling-group/70892-for-sale-cube-hpc-ams-rx-2010-a.html#post1489994

Used twice.

Cube AMS HPC RX Mountain Bike 2010

£1000

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Already have the aluminium version of that thanks. Not really looking at getting another one.

weeksy

OK, i have a Giant XTC 29er… simplest answer is.. my GPS shows me as over 10% quicker on it than any 26er i’ve owned.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’m in the full sus camp at the moment. My Giant Anthem is perfect for the reasonably technical Scottish XC races, and is great for longer 7 hour stints etc too. It is a bit heavier than a nice carbon hardtail, but for me, the help on the descents compensates for an extra 1lb on the climbs.

Giant Anthem X by pixelmix, on Flickr

It is slowly being upgraded as bits wear out, but here is a pic from a few months back.

If I didn’t think I’d miss the full sus, I’d probably be building up a Kinesis Maxlight XC Pro 3 instead.

sefton
    Free Member

I’m going to build my Rock lobster back up

with smaller brakes & new wheels reckon I can get her around 21lb ish

might just go xt groupset?

sebgt
    Free Member

Scott Scale 10, around 19lbs but still descends nicely without feeling flexy, climbs very well too.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Trek 9.9 ssl with XT groupset and American Classic wheels.

Raced the national XC and marathon series this year, great bike.

nomakoman
    Free Member

currently on a kinesis xc 120, weighs about 21 lbs atm even with crap forks! just find the extra bit of travel useful (helps that im fairly tall so front end isnt very high!

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Blur classic with RP23 and a good set of forks, cheap as chips and can hold it with the best £5 k machines.

hammerite
    Free Member

Yet to race, but have my first at the weekend. I have one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49197 carbon frame, SRAM x7 kit, Rockshock Reba, weighs around 10kg, paid a touch less than £1k no longer available though!

Chainreactions BeOne range might be worth looking at, something like this… http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=59237%5D

will
    Free Member

Giant XTC 1 and Giant XTC Carbon.

I want a Giant XTC Composite 29er when they arrive.

In short i woudl look at a hardtail for sure. Personally I’d go 29er too.

DIS

Been racing on singular hummingbird this year, last race it was set up SS and i got my best ever result!

If i had the money would love to get the niner carbon frame, very nice.

Unless your wanting to achieve the best result you possible can then ride what ever you like and just except some bikes / set ups may mean your not quite as quick.

If your fit and have good bike handling skills you will be fast on most bikes (with in reason)

xcneil
    Free Member

This season i’ve raced all the nationals and midland on a custom built whyte 19 but for next season i’m going to the cannondale scalpel 1 29r http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOQZWF5IEVU&feature=related its due into the uk on the 22nd dec cant wait 😀

Alejandro
    Free Member

Not really a racer but dabble a bit. Just built up a Kinesis XC Pro 3 with Magura Durins, mainly XT drive, Magura Marta brakes. Stan’s Crest on Pro 3 wheels, mainly KCNC Finishing Kit.

I love it, accelerates like an absolute rocket, really shines through tight twisty single track. I bumped into a guy at a race the other day who also had one and he made a point that it has very ‘race tuned’ geometry, not a bike you’d give to a beginner and one on which you have to know what you’re doing do get the most out of. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/dsc0220j.jpg/

I went for that over a carbon as a) more budget left over for components, b) it’s my only bike so wouldn’t like to take the risk with carbon as there’s no backup if it fails. If neither of those points apply to you then by all means get a carbon. I’d really recommend this frame though, love it. Oh and I didn’t go full sus as I’m a hardtail man really, and I don’t like the faff and extra maintenence of a full sus.

trickydisco
    Free Member

How about njee’s very light carbon ebay build

This is 19.8lbs with Rocket Rons and ti Egg Beaters:

richmtb

An SC Superlight, its not the lightest but its fun and it tends to be more endurance races rather then out and out XC i do.

As a bonus it makes a great bike for the wife for trail riding too.

njee20
    Free Member

Nice as that Scale is, 19lbs it isn’t, on my scales at least – over 20 without a doubt 🙂

I’ve got a very nicely pimped up Top Fuel 9.9, which I’m keeping for next season, first time since 2005 I’ve not changed!

This may be a photo of the whole thing, not sure as I can’t actually view Flickr at work… It’s 19.7ish lbs depending on tyres!

Edit: and thanks to Trickydisco, that is my old eBay hardtail, great little bike, would definitely have another!

Janesy
    Free Member

Im looking forward to racing a little more next year.
    Think its at around 22 – 24lbs. I should realy weigh it…
    Its my only mtb bike so has to be abit of a ‘jack of all trades’ I like it and fits me perfectly.

Spesh Epic Evo finished a weight watchers course.

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah mine’s my only MTB too, these days race bikes aren’t too much of a compromise, I love riding mine!

TheFlyingOx

Not a racer, but if I was I’m all set to go:

It’s bloody phenomenal. And at a shade over 22lbs it’ll do for XC mince-core.

sebgt
    Free Member

Njee, Id like to see you magic scales that reckon your full sus with heavier parts than my scale can be lighter???

flow
    Free Member

Njee always think his bike is the lightest, when in reality it weighs nothing close to what he thinks is does.

njee20
    Free Member

Njee always think his bike is the lightest, when in reality it weighs nothing close to what he thinks is does.

Woah woah, what’s that based on? Have you weighed it!? I certainly know it’s not the lightest, even on this forum, but I can look at that Scale and tell you where it’s heavier than mine!

Njee, Id like to see you magic scales that reckon your full sus with heavier parts than my scale can be lighter???

I caveated my comment by saying ‘on my scales’, and there was a smiley in there. No one’s going to make up a number, so I don’t doubt that you’ve weighed yours at 19lbs, I just said that having weighed hundreds of bikes on mine it would be significantly heavier than that. Not saying mine’s accurate.

But since you’ve gone there, what, save the frame, is heavier on mine though…? I’ve got more than a pound in the wheels alone…

And since you asked, here they are a while ago, mine’s got a li’l bit lighter since:

A friend has the same bike, XTR, SID World Cups, and his is 24lbs (on the same scales), so I’m confident!

flow
    Free Member

What you cant see is the wheels are on the floor

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah, you’re right. Fooled! It’s actually 35lbs, but I’m too ashamed to admit it!

flow
    Free Member

Only joking 😉

sebgt
    Free Member

Maybe half a pound on the wheels (rocket rons with stans tape aswell) but then I gain 2 pounds back on the frame…

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Loving this guess the bike weight game, what do people think my SC Blur weights with 2012 sid xx, xtr brakes, pedals and mech’s and well you can see the rest. ❓ 😛

rp16v
    Free Member

im on a felt q920 hartail and it really is lovley to ride for as long as u like and on any course very under stated brand tbh

Dan67
    Free Member

Look 986 21lbs in current spec. Very very fast and bloody stiff. My back was knackered after my first ride on it on Sunday doing 33 miles. Not sure if I’m going to race it this weekend as its meant to be a wet race as heavy rain is forcasted for the next couple of days. But fingers crossed its not that much rain.

flow
    Free Member

That Look is nice!

njee20
    Free Member

Agreed, nice frames those, their new FS ones look pretty nuts.

Maybe half a pound on the wheels (rocket rons with stans tape aswell) but then I gain 2 pounds back on the frame…

Nope, a Scale 10 frame is an optimistic 1100g, mine’s 1920g, so that’s more like 1.8lbs, then you’ve got a weighty seatpost in there. My wheels are 1260g, plus KCNC rotors and aluminium rotor bolts, in fact it’s half a pound in the rims alone; mine are 286g and 288g IIRC. Keep trying 😉

tazzymtb

19lb 1oz does go to 21 and a bit with bouncy forks on depending on how long an event is not pure xc but is a great enduro bike

are those podium rims njee20? very slinky!

flow
    Free Member

Njee, I hate to say it, but I do think his bike is lighter than yours.

Top Fuel 9.9 SSL is 21.18lbs built with full SRAM XX

tazzymtb

there’s 200g more on the that scale in just the ergons compared to njee’s foam jobbos, he does know a thing or two about weight weenieism

and the scale has xt cranks, which are heavy old beasts.

my vote goes to trek fully!

sebgt
    Free Member

Clearly not up to date with you Scott frame weights as I weighed it out of the box at 990g, but whats 110g between friends? Hope SPXC3 wheelset comes in at 1475g so 215g? seatpost isnt the lightest but 230g is nothing to cry about, but oh wait, them barends on there are 6kg each, so thats where all the weight is…

The 19.5 lbs was weighed a year ago and ‘ive made it ighter since’ 😆

flow
    Free Member

Nothing like a bike weight war

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘XC racers, what do you ride? (Insiration needed)’ is closed to new replies.