Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • XC race wheels recommedation on a budget
  • amedias
    Free Member

Looking to replace wheels on my race bike in the next few weeks before new series kicks off.

Currently running Pro2 with 819s and looking for something a bit lighter, normally would build my own but a bit tight on time, the only spare hubs I have kicking about are Kings, and nice as they are they are not light, my spoke stock is currently low and could do without the faff so looking at prebuilt options to fit the following requirements:

135mm QR rear
    15mm/QR convertible front
    6 bolt rotor fitting
    reasonably quick pickup preferred…
    26 inch!
    < 1500g minimum
    < 1400g would be nicer

Realistically speaking, I’m not too fussed it they only last 12-18 months, they’re for my race day bike so wont get huge miles put on them.

I’m always wary of SS for anything other than things like bars or cheap bits n bobs but these look lke a good weight at a good price:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=83&products_id=692

Any one got any better suggestions?
    Or decent light weight budget hub suggestions that I should look at?

andyrm
    Free Member

You’ll be just fine – the Switch hub is a Novatech, totally bulletproof and nothing to go wrong.

Build quality seems to be more consistent than 6 months ago from what other friends with SS wheels have said – although my last 2 sets have both been spot on in terms of tension and build longevity.

Bloody good price at £169 delivered!!

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

Second hand?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why pay £170 for cheep rims and hubs when you could build some crests onto your kings for the same price?

TBH I avoid superstar on principal after having the pleasure of dealing with their “customer service department”.

njee20
    Free Member

Second hand?

Seems a good shout, plenty of folk offloading 26″ XC race kit!

What’s the budget? The Superstar ones are great value, and you won’t get lighter without spending a lot more, but you could go lighter.

Why pay £170 for cheep rims and hubs when you could build some crests onto your kings for the same price?

Because they’d still come out a lot heavier?

amedias
    Free Member

Second hand?

Is an option, but nothing obvious jumping out at me anywhere at the moment, and if I spend ages looking for SH bargain, still with the possibility of having to service or rebuild, then I might as well look at new as well.

Exactly what Njee said, Kings are nice, but really not light, I’ll just use them on a different bike at some point.

Budget is a bit flexible really, if I can find a decent lightish set for <£250 I’ll buy them, if not I’ll bumble along on the Pro2s for a bit longer and accumulate bits to build over time. If a set of DT 240s come up anywhere at a sensible price they’d be perfect, even if I need to rebuild with new rims, got a soft spot for 240s 🙂

Those SS ones do seem a bit of a bargain for the weight…

lovewookie

I’ve got a set of Bontrager Race X lite wheels I’m selling. DT 240S hubs, DT spokes, and bontrager rims with tubeless strips and valves.

would do them for £120 posted.

nikjohnson74(at)gmail.com if interested.

DanW
    Free Member

I asked JRA about good value wheels and at the time of buying some new Lefty based wheels they were basically giving away Stans Podium rims and builds because most XC Racers on on bigger wheels nowadays. It might be worth getting in touch with JRA to see what they can do for your budget.

I have a pretty much new American Classic front hub (QR and 15mm adapters included) built with Stans Podium rim, red alu nips and DT rev spokes. Only spare as I switched to a Lefty. Weight should be around 580g although I can double check. Save some pennies there then a matching rear from JRA perhaps? 😀

sk8erdj50[at]hotmail[dot]com if interested

amedias
    Free Member

didn’t really mean this to turn into a WTD thread but thanks guys, have mailed both of you!

any other suggestions though keep em coming….

jonnyrockymountain

I have a set of mint condition (literally 200 miles max of use)
    WTB stryker TCS RACE!!!! 1500 g tubeless ready wheels (apparently the hub internals are American classic) spin true and dink free, 15mm front and q/r rear, 6 bolt rotors and yes 26″ £195 posted for the pair (I think these were well over £500 new)
    If interested email me at jonathantraverse@hotmail.co.uk

amedias
    Free Member

thanks for the offer jonny, if nothing else fits I might drop you a mail

jonnyrockymountain

Always open to offers as well!!, but not silly ones

scottfitz
    Free Member

The Superstar ones look a good deal to me.

DanW
    Free Member

Stans Podium rims, American Classic hubs, DT Revolution spokes, red alu nipples and Stans yellow tape also fitted.

All spokes are tight, rim is true and there are absolutely no dents or dings. They are functionally 100% with only a few tiny scratches as I’ve shown in the email just sent.

575g real weight, almost new condition, £125 posted (currently £250.66 to build on JRA). Saves just under 150g compared to the Superstar before even considering the rear wheel weight 😀

If you are near Cardiff, Bristol, Bath then you are welcome to have a look or collect.

adsh
    Free Member

It took me over a year of loitering on here and e bay to get a good lightweight and cheap set of wheels. 26″ might be going out of fashion but most sellers aren’t willing to reflect it on price.

I finally lucked into a new set of American Classic hubs with Stans ZTR 355s (old school but good), DT supercomps, alloy nipples with tape and valves at 1430g and for £200. I only ever saw one other such bargain (DT 240s) but I was a little slow off the mark.

So unless you are very lucky you are unlikely to get a bargain by the time you need them.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Podium rims where on offer with the importer the other week
    Then just add some (used) hubs and build a cheap set

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘XC race wheels recommedation on a budget’ is closed to new replies.