Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • XC helmets – is it just me being a wuss
  • stevextc
    Free Member

So lockdown riding is on my 100mm HT whereas I usually ride my bigger bikes… I’ve gone gloveless and padless (not intending to crash) but putting my old* XC helmet on feels naked.
    Usually in a FF or Enduro and I’m wearing the Bell 3R without chinguard.

*Now I’m typing I should chuck the old helmet anyway as its past its ride by date… but then if I bought another XC helmet would I ever wear it?

jd13m
    Free Member

XCers do it in roadie hats…… 🙂

DickBarton

…talking utter mince…sorry.

trail_rat
    Free Member

never mind the helmet.

gloveless….. wierdo.

devash
    Free Member

XCers do it in roadie hats

This. Some of the lycra euro XCers round where I live even carry their bikes down steep stuff, oh the horror!

scotroutes

Yes

Superficial
    Free Member

Full face
    Sunglasses
    Short shorts (leave a skin gap between the shorts and knee pads)
    White trainers

Then mince around some easy trails on either a) a brand new low end hardtail or b) a 20 year old full sus that was decent for its time and in a state of immaculate unridden-ness.

‘Tis the style of 2020!

And yes I’m aware I’m being a snob, so don’t bother pointing it out.

yoshimi

Nino says we are all overdressed for the riding we do………

Claudio's Blabla runs: Hitting the jumps at the bike park with Nino Schurter

Nino just wouldn't get tired – so we recorded a third Blabla run in one day, hitting the few jumps that were already open that day. What do you think – should we go back up and hit them all, now that they're open?@Nino Schurter ALPENBIKEPARK

Posted by Claudio Caluori on Friday, June 19, 2020

stevextc
    Free Member

never mind the helmet.

gloveless….. wierdo.

LOL, yeah never thought I would …. just easier to sterilise hands if I end up touching a gate but I’m used to it now.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes you are.

I wear an XC lid, and no pads. I am fine with that. Bloody pampered modern trail bike stormtropper wusses… 😉

ThePinkster

Yep. I’ve ridden BPW in an XC helmet.

although to be honest it didn’t survive the trip after I landed on it, but I suppose that proves it was up to the job 🙂

footflaps

Now I’m typing I should chuck the old helmet anyway as its past its ride by date

Do they have them, mine just has a manufacture date, May 2007…

hols2
    Free Member

never mind the helmet.

gloveless….. wierdo.

this

alpin
    Free Member

gloveless….. wierdo.

gloveless on the ups. Usually gloved on the way down…. But on Sunday the GF rode into me whilst I was spotting for her which sent me tumbling down the slope into the stream.

Gloveless is fine.

stevextc
    Free Member

Do they have them, mine just has a manufacture date, May 2007…

Different manufacturers say different stuff… I think one agreed age is 5yrs …

Yep. I’ve ridden BPW in an XC helmet.

This was 200m on the road… felt weird so went home and changed helmet

nickjb
    Free Member

I think one agreed age is 5yrs

Only agreed by people that want to sell you a new helmet. Even they only start the clock once you buy it, apparently it’s perfectly fine to sit in a warehouse for any time they like.

molgrips
    Free Member

I do use gloves though. I never used to, then started in about 1993 after a series of falls from which I still bear scars. So I guess you could call it protective gear.

simondbarnes

I would rather ride without any helmet rather than ride offroad gloveless.

ferrals
    Free Member

[boring answer] don’t all open face lids have to pass the same safety standard [\boring answer]

sirromj

This lockdown on the hottest days when I’ve been out for a ride I’ve really embraced the freedom of no helmet, no gloves, and the best, taps aff. Liberational to feel a warm summer breeze over the handful of hairs on my pasty white chest. I wasn’t mincing or pootling either. Sure it was a flat XC ride on farm tracks and lanes. Still, I’m a real man now. (Have even gone without socks, but never ridden in sandles).

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Cowboy hats are where it’s at. Stop you going too fast as it will blow off.

stevextc
    Free Member

Only agreed by people that want to sell you a new helmet. Even they only start the clock once you buy it, apparently it’s perfectly fine to sit in a warehouse for any time they like.

5 yrs is from the testing org rather than manufacturers. Still … didn’t see a good reason and most of my helmets will never get close to 5 yrs before a major crash anyway.

[boring answer] don’t all open face lids have to pass the same safety standard [\boring answer]

Yeah, it just “feels” wrong to me…

Weirdly I’d have thought the same. It was only the impracticability of sterilising gloves led me to try

hols2
    Free Member

Liberational to feel a warm summer breeze over the handful of hairs on my pasty white chest.

I Googled that to see what images came up. You’ll never guess what happened next.

kerley
    Free Member

I ride without a helmet and without gloves and with weather like today no socks either. I only use gloves in winter when my hands are cold.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘XC helmets – is it just me being a wuss’ is closed to new replies.