Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • XC Hardtail Frames!
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

It’s that fun time again where I get to go shopping for a new build!

Budget is around £1000 for a 29er XC hardtail frameset. Ideally, carbon would be nice but I’m not against the idea of aluminium (sub 12kg build I’ll be aiming for). It has to be boost spacing too so I can use my nice wheels.

Shortlist so far:

Ibis DV9 (XL)
    DV9

Trek Procaliber (21.5)
    https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/bike-frames/trek-procaliber-2018-frameset-black_371454?currency=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAjwq4fsBRBnEiwANTahcHldPmQPNhUtUFYfLF-wy6l3eKqhhtZlt8xDdeYj6q_qT7g65zH5YBoCwgQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Scott Scale (XL)
    https://www.damianharriscycles.co.uk/prod/frh_7660_sc/scott-scale-910-hmf-hardtail-2020-bike-frame

Heart is pulling me to the Ibis, but the look at little short in the reach (but maybe not that short?).

Have I missed anything obvious, or has anyone seen any XL bargains? Keen on good condition second hand stuff too!

johnw1984
    Free Member

I do like the look of the Canyon ton, but it’s well over my budget. In the same ballpark as the Santa Cruz Highball.

Been searching eBay and Pinkbike too to see if there’s anything about.

ton

they do a model at £1300 and at £1600. migtht be worth a look at.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Of course! I was just looking at the paper light frame only 🙂

the £1399 would be top end/max budget, but I’d get a lot of spares with it! Added to the list, cheers ton.

johnw1984
    Free Member

The Niner looks really nice! The only thing putting me off is the narrow seat tube and the PF30 bb. I forgot to mention that I’ll be fitting a dropper, so ideally 31.6mm seat tube for my existing posts, or I’d go 30.9mm and buy a new one.

I’ve seen a really nice Project One Procaliber second hand, but it’s only a 19.5. According to the size charts, I’m right at the end (6’2″)…

Going to have a closer look at the Niner as they’re something I’ve never really looked at.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I did like the look of the Bianchi, but that integrated seat post is awful, it’s not boost and 2.0 tyre clearance kills it.

I always wondered if you could “monster cross” a frame like that?

Looking seriously at the Niner now though. Brand X CX dropper will fit, and I don’t need a massive drop. Just a bit to move the saddle on some descents (more of a luxury than vital).

Scott Scale is nice, but I’ve just sold my Spark frame, so it seems like a bit of a boring choice. Missus has an Alu Procaliber and loves it, so I was considering one as the “safe” choice.

The Niner and Ibis are really pushing my buttons though! Ibis scores more points for being a bit cheaper, bigger seat tube and threaded BB. Niner looks prettier and is lighter…

steve_b77
    Free Member

KTM Myroon would be my suggestion, really light builds are doable with relative ease.

Clink

Here you go – and under budget.

Radon Jealous

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ve not seen any Myroon frames in budget though 🙁 It was on the list, but got bumped off due to the price.

Trying to have a look at the Radon, but that website is a nightmare! Keep trying to click on more info and it just shows me the pic of the frame and no details.

Clink

On another website
    bike discount

swanny853

Arc8 evolve is something I was looking at (although I’m sure it wasn’t that much when I looked a few months ago- currency changes I guess)

johnw1984
    Free Member

Had a good look at the Radon and I think the 22″ will be too big for me. Shame really as it looks like a proper bargain.

The Sin isn’t a boost rear end, so that’s a non-starter for me. I’ve already got some nice wheels and build kit to go on.

I’ll have a gander at the Arc8 too. It’s a nice problem to have, but there’s so much choice! Gutted about the Radon Jealous for that price though as I’d be able to get the rest of the stuff for the build and still be under budget.

Think it’s still Ibis vs Niner at the moment.

footflaps

I used to race on a Scott Scale, lovely frame – builds up very light and super efficient.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I do like the Scale and had a chance to have a good look at one this year, but I feel it’ll be too similar to my Spark. Not really a bad thing, but I just fancy a change.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, especially that Niner!

If it wasn’t for that, I think I’d have already gone for the Ibis DV9. I’m really struggling to choose between the two now though!

The Arc8 was really nice too. A large was spot on geometry wise, but they’re over budget and out of stock.

Onzadog
    Free Member
    johnw1984
    Free Member

I forgot about the Vanquish! Although it looks like I’d need a bigger fork than what I have.

Little update… the Ibis won! Ordered one from Ibis in Bone White/Teal. Just need to gather a few bits for the build now.

footflaps

I do like the Scale and had a chance to have a good look at one this year, but I feel it’ll be too similar to my Spark. Not really a bad thing, but I just fancy a change.

I used to have both, but sold the Scale when I stopped racing as I couldn’t justify keeping two top end race bikes.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Yeah, it would be a good idea if I raced, but I only really do the events like Hope Pre Peaks, Top of The Rock etc.

Missus has started racing and she’s got a Procaliber and a Top Fuel so at least she has a spare for that.

Ibis frame has already been shipped, so hope it arrives tomorrow 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘XC Hardtail Frames!’ is closed to new replies.