Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • XC 29er for £1000?
  • dai3015
    Free Member

I’m starting to get a headache from all the googleing I’ve been doing, but I’m trying find out what would be the lightest xc style bike I could get for £1000 (or less if possible)?
    I’m not going to get carbon for my budget but what do you think would give me the best bang for my buck?
    I’m not planning on doing any serious racing but want something that I can use on the local single-track and some faster rides
    Looking for medium frame 29er – I don’t mind building something either
    Cheers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother looking at weights, for two reasons.

1) It ignores how the bike actually rides, a 26″ bike is probably lighter but you’ve already excluded that, so next step is decide do you really want a 80-100mm travel old skool >69deg HA xc bike, or do you want something a bit more modern with more reach and a shorter stem.

2) Relistically they all weigh the same to within a margin that doesnt matter. 250g either way is naff all. Thats a manufacturer lying whether there are innertubes in the weight or not.

Geometry
    Fork
    Wheels
    In that order because you cant fix a crap frame, forks are expensive and a basic wheel upgrade is cheap.

DezB
    Free Member

Something like this (but smaller)

Latest Classified Ads

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    YoKaiser
    Free Member

Decathlon rock rider xc500? Looks like a fair bet.

13thfloormonk

Whatever Trek X-Caliber is within budget? (was going to say Superfly but they seem to have been replaced with the X-Caliber)

Mine was a first introduction to 29ers (a few years ago) and I was instantly smitten. I don’t think the geometry is especially modern, e.g. not super long or slack, but I think this is a good thing as it feels rapid in the singletrack and just had me pedalling for more most of the time!

It felt fast enough that I didn’t hesitate to stick some CX tyres on and use it for some winter CX also.

Edit:

£1100, but look at that paint job!

null

taxi25
    Free Member
    Kryton57

Would you look second hand?  I might be off loading an upgraded carbon Vitus Rapide for 650 over the next few months.   Its is a large, but is not a big large.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’d look at Cube Reactions and Scott Scales. Both should be competitive for a XC 29er

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

The new wonder frontier looks great.

dai3015
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    I’ll have a look at all suggestions.
    I also saw last night that Halfords are now selling a carbon Bizango – that looks interesting (although no featherweight racer!)

richmtb

The new Boardman MHT 8.9 looks rather nice, lovely frame and a proper fork plus 12 speed for £1000

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The new Boardman MHT 8.9 looks rather nice, lovely frame and a proper fork plus 12 speed for £1000

I was looking at those boardmans last year, slacker and with a short stem, but they’d not increased the reach which seemed an odd design given that it doesn’t look like it was designed with the sit upright and pootle crowd in mind.

jasonm945
    Free Member

The Voodoo Bizango Carbon looks a bargain, though whether it is dropper post friendly isn’t shown.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-bizango-carbon-mountain-bike-s-m-l-xl

chakaping
    Free Member

I was looking at those boardmans last year, slacker and with a short stem, but they’d not increased the reach which seemed an odd design given that it doesn’t look like it was designed with the sit upright and pootle crowd in mind.

Agreed, and they’ve gone from nice 11sp GX & guide brakes to the cheap SX stuff. Bound to be a heavier bike and it wasn’t as light as it could have been before.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Voodoo Bizango Carbon

Very interesting, shame there’s no geometry chart and that it’s got a low-end spec though.

simon_g

Was going to say Boardman too, going from a heavy steel XC30/Recon/Judy to a Reba is going to save you more weight than from a reasonable alu frame to carbon.

That carbon Bizango looks like an interesting way to use up a C2W voucher though if you’d stick a better fork on later.

simon_g

Halfords were nice enough to share the carbon Bizango geometry chart with me – bit longer and slacker than current alu Bizango.

View post on imgur.com

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Felt carbon 29er HT on Planet X for £800

Kryton57
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘XC 29er for £1000?’ is closed to new replies.