Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • xbox rant
  • pedlad

This is taking hours, wish I’d never bought the b’ard thing for the mini Pedlads

Surely someone must have assessed this for UX / usability??!!

So initially setting up their accounts was a monumental ball ache needing new emails for them and entering it a million times on the console before putting in a gamer tag and a passkey. Then set up their accounts to be age appropriate and restricted access.

Now want to give them (limited to friends) access to xbox live for a game with their mates and the console keeps telling them their not allowed but the messages on that bear no relation to the options via my controlling account on their accounts or by logging in (via v protracted 2 stage verification) to their accounts.

Why can’t all this parent control functionality be in an iPhone app and
    Why does a f’in games console have to be this complex!!

….or am I doing it wrong??!!!

and relax

weeksy

Yeah, it’s a faff.

Tenuous
    Free Member

It’s not you!

My biggest mistake was setting up the Kinect camera to recognise my daughter. She was very pleased that it said hello to her when she walked into the room, the rest of the family were less pleased that we then had to manually enter passwords to do anything on the Xbox due to it kicking in the age restrictions :p

You can do it on their website, but doesn’t help that different restrictions are on different pages.

https://account.microsoft.com/family/
    and
    https://account.xbox.com/en-GB/Settings

should cover it.

Cougar

Have you got a Gold subscription? Tie that to your account, set the Xbox as the “home” for your account, should then work.

http://www.electronicfirst.com/cheap-xbox-live-codes/12-month-gold-membership-subscription/

or

https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/memberships/12-month-xbox-live-gold-membership-xbox-one-360

survivor

I’m with you OP. Recently set my nephew’s up…….

What a massive ball ache….

longj
    Free Member

It could be the game company restricting access. Ubisoft won’t let my lad play a 12 rated game even though I’ve set up the xbox account to allow him game to play 12 rated games. The only way round it is to set up a new gamer tag thing and enter a flase age.

ampthill

I’m sure it’s really horrible. We had some thing similar with a Windows phone and games.

But I’m not surprised microsoft haven’t launched an iphone app….

pedlad

thanks glad it’s not just me.
    I think I have covered off both the settings choices in the xbox and Microsoft domains separately but will look again.

Specifically my account has the live gold tethered to it and I can play the game (12), but my eldest can’t despite being 12 and having the settings that appear to be for allowing online gaming on to yes..

perchypanther
    Free Member

If the adult account has an xbox live gold subscription but the child account doesn’t, the kid won’t be able to play online unless you get them their own Gold subscription tied to the child account.

Cougar

the kid won’t be able to play online unless you get them their own Gold subscription tied to the child account.

Caveat: I don’t know anything about child accounts.

Non-Gold accounts on the 360 couldn’t play online, you needed a Gold sub for each player. This isn’t the case on the One, you need one Gold account either logged in or with the box set as Home for that account and any accounts on that box can play online.

scruff
    Free Member

I had to set up 3 accounts Christmas morning from scratch 👿
    I have resisted the Xbox live subscription so far, would I have to buy one for each of us?!

core

PS4.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I found a couple of tips to make it more tolerable.

Firstly create your account with your usual MS Live Account (assuming you have one), sign into the Xbox with it so it shows on your MS Family portal (or create one) and then do the rest on a Windows machine, it’s much, much faster and easier and then whack a usb keyboard on the xbox for entering email addresses / passwords.

Cougar

I had to set up 3 accounts Christmas morning from scratch

No you didn’t, you just failed to plan ahead.

I have resisted the Xbox live subscription so far, would I have to buy one for each of us?!

No. See my previous comments.

PS4.

How’s that going to help them play Xbox games with their friends?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Non-Gold accounts on the 360 couldn’t play online, you needed a Gold sub for each player. This isn’t the case on the One, you need one Gold account either logged in or with the box set as Home for that account and any accounts on that box can play online.

I did not know this.

It makes no practical difference to me anyway as both my boys have their own boxes so I still need to splash for two Gold subs.

I might venture online with my own adult account on one of the kids boxes to try it out though.

Cougar

It makes no practical difference to me anyway as both my boys have their own boxes so I still need to splash for two Gold subs.

Set each account’s Home box to be the other console. Only one gold sub needed, and they’ll share each other’s game libraries so you only need to buy one copy of a downloaded game in order for them to play together.

You’re welcome.

twistedpencil

Ps4 same issue, my lad is now using my account as it won’t let him on to play on overwatch.

I can understand why they block young players but if parents allow them to play then I’d suggest that trumps a multinational organisation.

Blooming annoying, the ps3 was such a joy to use in comparison, glad to hear the xbox is equally as annoying.

Drac
    twistedpencil

Yep, tried that Drac but still having issues, pretty sure it’s related to actual birthday on my lads account shows that he is 9, so I think he can play older games offline no problem but not online, which is an issue for Overwatch.
    Overwatch looks pretty awesome mind, I just don’t have the reaction times required 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Overwatch looks pretty awesome mind, I just don’t have the reaction times required

Fortnite: Battle Royale is where all the kids are at these days.
    Free to download too.

nosedive
    Free Member

I just set my 11 year olds up as if it was me and didnt tell him the password so he couldnt buy stuff. No way would I tell the machine how old he is otherwise he wouldnt be able to level up my battlefield one stuff for me

sbob
    Free Member

So what’s the problem here, that the consoles are better parents than you are?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

You’ve gotta love Cougar’s “I know how to get around this” smuggery.

The fact it isn’t friendly, or obvious, shows that is basically a flawed design.

Playstation by comaprison seems to do it all for you.

I’ve never had to google “error code 116” on Playstation, it’d just tell you if there was an issue.

Drac

Twistedpencil may disagree with your valuable contribution.

Tiger6791

PS4

Nope – Lego FTFY

ji
    Free Member

My 9 year old plays overwatch on a kids account perfectly fine.You just need to approve each game as an exception.

Euro
    Free Member

Edit their profiles (D.O.B) and make them 18 years old? Not ideal but saves all the hassle.

pedlad

Update – the game is fortnite and it turns out you have to enable seeing other people’s content. I.e which on configuring I assumed simply meant other people’s comments etc. Seems to be their gameplay in the live multiplayer environment too.

So kept age and other restrictions on but allowed this and they’re up and running.

Still a ball ache of a system though !

Cougar

You’ve gotta love Cougar’s “I know how to get around this” smuggery.

Eh? I was answering a question. I made no comment on whether or not it was intuitive.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘xbox rant’ is closed to new replies.