Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Xbox one and headset comms…?
  • Kryton57

Some advice please?

Kryton Jnr has been gifted a XBox One headset so I’ve a few Luddite questions if I may, after my own testing. We have the adaptor with it, and the latter model of controller with the added headphone jack – although I’m using the adaptor… He only plays Forza so:

1) I’ve connected to Forza and Battlefield V. I can’t seem to speak to people in a race or squad game – is the right and if not how do I enable it?

2) Is the cause of 1) above because you need to be “mates” with the person or people you are talking with and if so how do you enable this? I’m informed Jnr has a “code” from one of his friends at School.

3) Notwithstanding the questions above is it possible for me to restrict his conversation to Friends Only for general child protection purposes?

Having failed to understand an XBox I declare I’m officially old, so thanks for your understanding and responses… 😀

DezB
    Free Member

I’ll ask my 16 y.o. this evening.

Cougar

Create a party from the (X) menu, generally. He’ll need to add friends to his friends list by entering their gamertag.

For parental stuff, you can have your own login as the primary account and create a child account for your anklebiter. Dunno how that affects comms, if at all, but it’ll restrict what he has access to.

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/browse/xbox-one/security

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/xbox-one-parental-controls,news-17893.html

Kryton57

Thanks Cougar. So you can’t speak to people unless they are on the friends list?

Thats a good things.

I’ve tried creating a child account and although it worked for about 2 days it doesn’t anymore. Refers back to the MS account for the error – where I have not details/email to refer to.

Cougar

Xbox support chat thing on the website is pretty good IME.

Cougar

Oh, and, chat varies between games / settings I think. I only ever use party chat as I have zero interest in playing with the great unwashed, so I’m not sure offhand.

thepurist

Did his headset come with a crown race?

DezB
    Free Member

hi this is dezb jnr and there might be a few problems.

you could be in party chat and therefore cannot speak to people in game or vise versa. this can be changed by pressing the big led x button on the controller going across to the right, i think and then i think you press x. it should say it on the screen.

depending on the headset, the mic might be muted or, if like mine, the actual microphone isnt plugged in.

you can block people manually if you dont want your son to speak to them and being in party chat will stop him from speaking to random people. you have to make a party for this though.

i dont play froza or battlefield so they may have an issue that i dont know about.

hope that helped.

Kryton57

Thanks DezB Jnr, much appreciated.

I remember programming a vhs video on timer for my parents, now I know what they felt like…

DezB
    Free Member

😊

yiman
    Free Member

Can’t remember exactly how I did it but my 7 year old can only voice chat to his “Xb
    ox friends” and I make sure they are only known friends/family.

garage-dweller

Yiman +1

And make sure the microphone is properly pushed into the headset. 😳

Kryton57

Oh er right. My xbox doesn’t have the same interface as shown in the linksa above, I don’t have the “x”.

I went through the menus,with plenty of options to include “friends” or “everyone” but can’t find Party mode.

FuzzyWuzzy

As a PC gamer that’s never used an XBox, some random thoughts:
    Are XBox voice comms push-to-talk or open? if the former are you pushing the button when talking?
    Is there a mic mute on the headset (there is on my gaming one and it’s not obvious if you’ve activated it once you’re wearing the headset
    Are there firewall settings on an Xbox and the voice comm ports aren’t allowed by default?

DezB
    Free Member

Kid say: Xbox Live Gold needed to start-a-party

Xbox button > Select Multiplayer > Start a party.

scuttler

Other ‘basic’ to check is if you have Live and start a party (of one), when you talk does the coloured ring around your user badge light up / animate? That’ll prove at least that the mic is working and voice is being transmitted into the Live service. If that works, then 1) the mic is working and not muted/broken 2) the communications settings for the user just to have voice working are OK. From their on it’ll likely be a permissions issue for the Child account in terms of who they can communicate with. I seem to remember the default config for a child account is NOT to allow in game communications so you might want to initially change it to an adult account just to validate whether it then does work and is therefore just a permissions thing.

I had trouble with a faulty headset once and it was easier to diagnose with an iphone app called PhoneAudioTest than to get caught in the bazillion settings the Xbox has.

Kryton57

Done!

On my account. Originally I was using a 3rd party headset but today Mrs swapped it out for an Xbox original. All works fine on Battlefield…

Jnrs child account is set to “friends only”, but his account has an error I can’t resole which is another story…..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Xbox one and headset comms…?’ is closed to new replies.