Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • X-fusion fork, upgrade or replace? Wwstwd?
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I’ve got an X fusion McQueen with the rl2 damper on my cotic flare max mark 1.

Forks need servicing and I was considering upgrading to the roughcut damper.

Wondering if it would be better to sell the fork and buy a newer fork instead?

Considering dvo beryl or similar. Can’t be spending huge extra money on them.

What is the hive opinion?

bsims
    Free Member

I have both versions In the sweep. I upgraded to a Roughcut because I found the RL2 either too firm mid stroke or it just collapsed at lower pressures on fast descents eg. the end of the Verderers trail at FOD, (low pressure made it too bouncy on the flat). Everywhere else I liked it. The Roughcut has the RL2s strong points and makes them better, the damping is better mid stroke, less firm but you can push off on it still and you can adjust it.

I now use the RL2 at 100mm on my general bike and it is exceelent for that purpose.

If you like the way McQueen behaves I would say upgrade.

BadlyWiredDog

+1 for the Roughcut upgrade, though actually sourcing the damper as a stand-alone part seems difficult, you might be better off buying a complete fork and selling your existing one. I bought a new Sweep RC when Planet X were selling them for £250 and replaced the RL version I was running before. Good fork, particularly at that price and, as above, much better than the RL over repeated, high-speed hits.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Not tried the RL damper but I have both a Sweep Roughcut and Mattoc Pro. I was surprised to find I prefer the Sweep to the Mattoc, as the mid stroke holds up better (mid stroke on the Mattoc feels like it chokes or binds) and can be dialled in easier with less loss of small bump compliance as you ramp up the HSC to deal with bigger hits. The downside is it’s quite a noisy fork (the Sweep) on the rebound stroke, but it’s kind of reassuring as you can here how busy it is during fast rough sections!

IMO upgrade if the price is right.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Thank you all. Cleaned my forks up last night and as in all other respects they’re a good fork in decent condition I’m going to get the upgrade.

It’s 220 at upgrade bikes. Or 200 due the damper from worldwide cyclery, subject to vat and import duty.

BadlyWiredDog

I’d do it then, though it seems a lot for a damper. I guess you could always sell the whole lot it it doesn’t live up to expectations.

Meant to say, the only thing I really miss from the RL is the lock-out. Not a huge deal, but I always found it handy for climbing out of the saddle on road sections.

joebristol

I’d do it then, though it seems a lot for a damper. I guess you could always sell the whole lot it it doesn’t live up to expectations.

£200 ish compares fairly similarly in cost to a charger damper upgrade from Rockshox for a Yari / Revelation etc….so I’d be tempted to give the damper upgrade a go if I were happy with the rest of the X-Fusion package.

BadlyWiredDog

£200 ish compares fairly similarly in cost to a charger damper upgrade from Rockshox for a Yari / Revelation etc…

I guess so. My perspective’s still slightly skewed by buying a complete RC fork from Planet X for £250. I guess they just wanted them out the door.

zerogreg
    Free Member

Is that £220 incl service from upgrade or just the damper?

joebristol

I guess so. My perspective’s still slightly skewed by buying a complete RC fork from Planet X for £250. I guess they just wanted them out the door.

That would do it – those forks were ridiculously cheap. I was eying one up, but only the white ones were that cheap at the time I was looking and I wanted black forks…..I actually paid a similar amount for a secondhand Pike instead. I should have just got over my colour issue!

BadlyWiredDog

That would do it – those forks were ridiculously cheap. I was eying one up, but only the white ones were that cheap at the time I was looking and I wanted black forks

Mine are black! Feeling fortunate and a wee bit smug 🙂

Pike’s are good forks though.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Would an option be an MRP ramp control thingy? I think they do one for X-fusion forks.

martinhutch

Mine are black! Feeling fortunate and a wee bit smug

Mine too. That was a good offer, even though the forks arrived in a plastic bag.

They are good forks, but personally don’t think that 220 is worth it for the upgrade on an older model – I prefer my 2018 Fox Fit4 34s, and I reckon there will be a few offers on that level of fork around before too long.

Meant to say, the only thing I really miss from the RL is the lock-out.

Flicking the LSC knob fully to the right pretty much locks them out.

ifra
    Free Member

I had the same issue and ended up selling mine on eBay and getting a set of DVO diamond for not much more (lad was off travelling). The overall difference is amazing so far. Only real reason I swapped the two was I wanted black stanchions 🤦‍♂️.

transition1
    Free Member

I had a Slant with RL2 which I found would dive under breaking quite a bit, wasn’t a fan so got Upgrade to fit the Roughcut damper, was definitely an improvement on the fork but I had a pair of Devilles which I preferred so sold the forks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘X-fusion fork, upgrade or replace? Wwstwd?’ is closed to new replies.