Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wye MTB – Steep and Natural
  • Premier Icon tetrode

Has anyone here done this course with Wye MTB? If so how was it?

Once COVID restrictions allow, I’m looking to get some coaching in steep and natural terrain and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Wye MTB. They seem like great outfit and would love to know if other people here have done it. I moved to the FOD in the summer and most of the off piste around here is both steep and natural. Would love to get more confident with it.

Even if you’ve done another course with them I’d like to know how it went, since I kind of also want to learn how to jump! Can you tell I’m daydreaming about MTB while at work?

Premier Icon impatientbull

I’ve done a few days with them, and will do more in the future. Really great bunch of people. A key thing to remember is that I don’t think anyone is insured to guide on unofficial trails, so you won’t get much/any of the typical FoD off piste.

Steep and Natural (2017): 1/2 a day of coaching, 1/2 a day guided off piste but all within Swallowvalents Inclosure. I’m not a big fan of group coaching, but it was good for what it was. The guided afternoon took in a few interesting bits in the area.

FOD Back Country (2019): mostly uplifted day taking in a bunch of interesting descents in the wider Wye Valley area, (almost) all on bridleways. Was a great day out and different to the usual FoD off piste riding. Nice lunch too.

The Good, Bad and the Ugly – Jumps and drops course (2019): did this with a mate, so 2 on 1 coaching ratio, and it was excellent. Great for building confidence.

Also in FoD, I’ve had a couple of coaching sessions with Katy Curd who I would highly recommend.

Premier Icon argee

it’s only steep if you look down!

As above though, loads of coaching goes on at Cannop, Had some courses and all are pretty good for what they do, the issue is when you go to group courses, and if there’s a big difference in ability, it means you can struggle to learn much, sometimes it’s good to get a mate or whatever and do 2:1, or even 1:1, costly but more beneficial in the long run, hunt out the group stuff in FoD, loads go, after lockdown i’ll be back to being there a couple of times a week, same with a load of others, a lot of us just go and learn new stuff and baby step up to it, Mallards is great for that, same with Parkend area.

Premier Icon chrispo
    Free Member

I booked a course with the guy (leading, not skills) and he had terrible communication and eventually let me down with no apology or follow-up.

He might be a fantastic skills coach though🤷‍♂️

Premier Icon welshfarmer

As a local I have ridden all the stuff shown on the pics on Wye MTBs website. I know for a fact large amounts of what they ride are cheeky and not PROWs. While I have no problem with people riding this stuff, since I obviously ride it myself, it does sit uncomfortably with me that someone is getting paid to show the greater public where all the hidden/cheeky stuff is. I m happy to show anyone where stuff is for free BTW.

Premier Icon Bagstard
    Free Member

I did the steep and natural course from the main centre, half day jumps and drops, big lunch, then trail ride on the ‘steep and natural’ stuff, followed by coffee and the biggest piece of cake I’ve ever eaten. It was a good day and pretty good value, I rode a few things I wouldn’t have otherwise had the bottle for.

Premier Icon SirHC

Did the Wye Valley Off Piste day back in 2019, great trails, fantastic lunch. The guiding at the start of the day was a bit meh, bit slow and had to give him quite a bit of a gap, he also had some strange coaching tips which I found quite bizaar. Had Sam leading for the afternoon and he was great ,he knows the trails very well and was a challenge to keep up.

As far as coaching, I’d be looking at Proride and Katy Curd. Given their backgrounds.

Premier Icon fathomer

I did the steep & tech course in early 2019. The actual coaching was ok at best, that’s not to say the coaches weren’t good. The problem was that out of the 8 people on the course, 2 were well out of the depth and it was a bit beyond another couple. I guess that the issue with group courses.

However the lunch and guided ride at the end where good and overall I think the £75 I paid was pretty good value. The 2 above bailed from the ride as they couldn’t manage the first descent.

What I would suggest is speaking to Katy Curd, after having a 3 hour 1 to 1 at the end of last summer, that’s where I’ll be going for any future coaching. Which has reminded me that I got some vouchers for Christmas that I need to spend!

Premier Icon tetrode

Thanks for the info guys! Surprised at how good of a price 1 on 1 coaching with Katy Curd is, that’s very tempting too. Lots to think about.

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer

I’d highly recommend Katy Curd too, should have had a session with her on Wednesday but that was of course postponed.  I find her excellent as a skills coach.

I don’t know about Wye MTB but I’d certainly like to do one of their guided rides as the riding in the area is fantastic.

Premier Icon argee

As above, heard good things about Katy Curd and will book up this year, had a couple of courses, one with proride at FoD, they are good as well, but with FoD it’s all about working your way up, plenty stuff there, so you don’t have to smash the steep and techy stuff at the likes of Wastelands or Mallards, you can work up on loads of the smaller stuff, just need to know where to go and how it progresses unfortunately.

Premier Icon Marko

Wife has done a day with Katy. It was good apart from the slight shock at being told the front triple wouldn’t cut the mustard 😁.

@Rubber Buccaneer. I’m in the Valley and happy to show anybody around when this s**t is over. Looks like (from the Vids) that Wye MTB don’t use (or know) the best stuff 😉

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer

@Rubber Buccaneer. I’m in the Valley and happy to show anybody around when this s**t is over

That is a very kind offer you may regret making 👍

Premier Icon fatbikedog

The Wye Valley is my local area. I was there today. I would agree with all Welsh Farmer says. I am not massively rad but know the area well. Pm me if you want to tag along some time.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.