Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • WWSTWD: Car woes
  • rossburton
    Free Member

So we’ve a ~2011 Pug 3008 which is fine but not great and we were planning on part-exchanging it shortly for something different/better.  Estimated part-ex value was ~£4K.

Last week we started getting “gearbox fault” errors when starting it up, I just got back from the dealer who have told me that the clutch, flywheel, and possibly the actuator need replacing.  Including labour that’s a £3K repair bill.

So What Would Singletrack Do?  Repair and partex? Partex for nominal amount with the outstanding repair?  Hunt down a non-dealer garage that will do the work for less?  Burn it in a ditch and never buy a car again?

wwaswas

See what you can get for it PX with the fault – dealer can do the work for parts prices+labour at cost so 50% what you’d pay and should reflect that in what they offer.

Although get some independent quotes – £3k for a clutch + DMF seems quite high.

I traded in an Alfa 156 that had had a cambelt failure and a load of bent valves etc – I was quoted £2.5k repair by a main dealer but got about £1500 less than I’d been told trading it in with someone else. It was delivered to them with the head removed and the parts in the boot.

Dickyboy

+1 for trading it in with the fault

johndoh
    Free Member

Burn it in a ditch and never buy a car again?

Burn it in a ditch and never buy a Peugeot again?

rossburton
    Free Member

johndoh: pretty much, yes.  In one bill its accumulated more repair costs than our ’07 Honda Jazz.  Very tempted to just get a new Jazz, despite their lack of cool they’re actually good cars. 🙂

the-muffin-man

Crash it and get a new one on the insurance. Or drive through a flood.*

(*this may not be good advice!)

nickdavies

Hopefully you’ve not been to the same dealer for the quote as who is selling the new car. Get the codes reset and chop it in as part ex. Selling it privately with a fault like that is bad form but the dealer is fair game!

Cougar

I just got back from the dealer who have told me that the clutch, flywheel, and possibly the actuator need replacing.  Including labour that’s a £3K repair bill.

So What Would Singletrack Do?

Pull the bulb out Get a second opinion.  I’d be highly sceptical that all three of those things had just spontaneously failed.

There’s no way I’d be spending three grand on a car simply to part ex it.  It’ll cost the dealer buttons to fix compared to what they’ll charge you, and you’re already parting with it in a way which will likely net you the lowest possible return.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

See what webuyanycar will give you for it?

A couple of friends of mine have sold cars to them that have needed some expensive work done. WBAC had nothing more than a quick glance at the car when they were taken in to be dropped off.

rossburton
    Free Member

Dealer called back and offered £1.5K part-ex on the grounds that the parts are expensive.  Going for a second opinions now.

Cougar

If the estimated trade-in was £4K, they’ve quoted you £3K end-user cost for repairs, and are now offering you £1.5K for it unrepaired because “parts are expensive,” you’re definitely having your pants pulled down.

maccruiskeen

Including labour that’s a £3K repair bill.

I had the gearbox, clutch and flywheel done for significantly less than that on my sprinter this year so I’d definitely be shopping round for other prices.

Are you actually having issues driving – using the clutch, gears etc? or is the car just telling you theres a problem? What if its just a faulty sensor?

On the strength of faults codes and engine management lights I was told I needed a new fuel pump by a Vauxhall dealer a few year back at a cost of around £2k plus labour. What I needed was a new EDU for £40 which arrived in the post and I fitted myself in 5 minutes.

rossburton
    Free Member

It’s an automated manual, the dash says “gearbox error” and refuses to switch out of neutral.  Giving it a second and trying again works, but the rate of these failures is increasing rapidly.

chestrockwell

I part ex’d my old Focus with a obviously slipping clutch. My mate who worked at the dealer and was selling me a new car said it didn’t matter as long as it could drive on to a ramp as it was just going to be punted to auction anyway so just needed to be able to limp in to the line up.

5lab

can you get the parts second hand if they’re expensive? You don’t really care if the repair lasts forever – I’d be dubious about a second hand clutch, but i’d guess from the pricing that its really a bit more than a clutch being bought – maybe one of the reconditioning places can sort it out

martinhutch

I part ex’d my old Focus with a obviously slipping clutch. My mate who worked at the dealer and was selling me a new car said it didn’t matter as long as it could drive on to a ramp as it was just going to be punted to auction anyway so just needed to be able to limp in to the line up.

Exactly the same for me – clutch plus flywheel etc would have been much more than its value. As it was I barely got above scrap value though. It was so far gone that I was happy to get to the dealer on the morning…

Is it actually showing symptoms of a fault? Would be a shame to lose 2.5K of value if it’s still driving fine.

Is the dealer who is taking it the one who is diagnosing the fault, BTW? I would want a second opinion due to my inherent suspicion that the dealer knows it is just an indicator fault and he can just reset it and sell on for more.

Either way I would be doing the minimum work needed to turn the light off (over and above just putting electrical tape over the display 🙂 and immediately PXing it elsewhere.

blastit
    Free Member

Get yourself a code reader/obd2 scanner. This will enable you to see error code and search on internet what it means plenty of people out there how have had same issue as you so might have a fix. It will also allow you to clear code and see if it comes back and how quickly if it does.   I have one which was for a Toyota corolla and have used it on Fiat Ducato and Nissan Note. Came in very useful when I bought the Note and a error came up saying the cat was iffy and dealer was not wanting to replace it saying it was my driving style and it would clear itself with a bit of fuel additive and  it didn’t. He replaced the cat in the end and the light never came on again.

Knowledge is king

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fits-Peugeot-OBD2-EOBD-CAN-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-diagnostic-scan-tool-UK/172375823399?hash=item2822665427:g:udMAAOSwLF1YAhbc:rk:18:pf:0

bigyinn
    Free Member

If the OP isn’t interested in spannering, I’d get it down to a trusted local indie garage and get them to have a look.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘WWSTWD: Car woes’ is closed to new replies.