Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • WTF .. starting a new bike build
  • druidh
    Free Member

I shouldn’t really admit this, but there’s something about that frame I really like….

mustard
    Free Member

I know Druidh, the head says kaffenbak (if they would ever turn up!) and the heart is torn between this (I’m thinking the yellow Ortlieb panniers for the subtle touring look) and the Singular Peregrine…

It’s a hard life! 😀

mustard
    Free Member

Gonna bump this until I get a response from Paul!

I did see a Peregrine in the flesh in Rond last night and it does look very lovely, pity Sam is soooo tall or I could have got a test ride 🙁

davidwazz
    Free Member

We have 1 x 53cm / 1 x 56cm / 1 x 59cm WTF frames remaining from our first shipment. Also got a 59cm ss mtb full build available. Next stock is only due in early next year! If you are interested drop me an email info@beardedman.co.uk

http://blog.beardedman.co.uk/?p=512

paul78
    Free Member

This is proving the longest bike build ever .. partly as I was undecided what direction to take the build then after decision was made I had to wait for parts to come along… spec is still not 100% decided but wanna get it finished a few miles done then refine…

I will preempt a few comments .. I have turned the front tyre the right way round .. the spacers are to set up the dirt drops high enough to work as they should 🙂

racefaceec90

love your bike paul78.cannot go wrong with a fluro paint job 😉 (have a skinny tubed fluro green duster)

jameso

It’s looking good! Top rim and tyre combo.

paul78
    Free Member

If only they made skin wall 29er tyres 🙂

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

i love it.it looks fantastic!

schmiken

As you went with black components a black chainring and rims would tie it all together. Nice now it’s built up 🙂

paul78
    Free Member

The rims I got a great deal on.. kind of like the chrome on black .. chainring I will change to black when it wears and needs changing 🙂

RagTi
    Free Member

I think you should go as follows;

3×10 Full ! Deore Groupset / Brakes
    Mavic 717 rims on Deore Hubs
    Easton EA30 finishing kit

😆

Regretably the build will have to be as cool as the frame!

Rik
    Free Member

Funky colour.

But….. Can someone tell me why the frame is super versatile? A Singular Swift looks more versatile.

Its not suspension corrected (very short looking forks) so if you put a sus fork on it will bugger the handling, so 29er is out of the window.
    It’s got an ebb, so have lots of other 29ers.
    You can put drops or risers on, you can do this on any bike and as Cyni-al states one will be a compromise in geometry terms.
    Belt drive capable – well that’s 0.0001% of niche riders accounted for.

Not knocking the bike as I like the curves (although not the singlespeed) but versatile – no not really.

paul78
    Free Member

Rik, I see where you are coming from but to compare the Swift to the WTF isn’t quite right .. the WTF is designed for drop bars primarily hence the long head tube so better to put it side by side with the Singular Gryphon and Salsa Fargo…

Versatility could be viewed simply as the bike can run gears, ss or belt drive … neither the Gryphon or the Fargo can do this… I agree belt drive is such a tiny portion of the bike set up world but nice to see it being offered on a non custom build frame.

Is it a 29er ?? In reality no … no reason why you can’t stick a non suspension corrected 26″ rigid fork on there lift the front end and slacken the already pretty steep head angle and give yourself a 29er .. seen a few guys in the US doing this with really good results but I think it is better viewed as either a monstercross set up with road drops or a dirt drop set up..

I am going to use it for bike packing … asides from the crazy look it really is a practical bike for this application with a bombproof ebb set up and extra down tube bottle mounts plus extra long headtube allowing a dirt drop set up which I really wanted to trial for long distances.

Rik
    Free Member

May I ask – what type of trails do you envisage riding?

A fully loaded bike for biving – singlespeed on proper trails. Doubt that would be much fun in the Peak/Lakes?

Like the idea as a more versatile cross bike but not singlespeed.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have to say it’s sounding less and less versatile and more and more compromised.

Whatever floats your boat.

paul78
    Free Member

Finally finished but run out of weekend to try it …

Rik, I will use this bike for mainly long bike packing trips… Off road c2c in a couple of weeks, Bearbones 200 event in October, longer multi day trips next year … fireroad, tarmac, technical singletrack I aim to ride it all.

I guess its just down to what you prefer to ride.. for a number of years now I have always ridden fully rigid singlespeed bikes for all forms of racing or riding .. not to be different or ‘niche’ just because it works all the time with the least amount of money being needed leaving more in the pot for travelling to new places to ride …. times I have added suspension or gone back to gears I just didn’t like it or it broke.

Cynic-al, I don’t see compromises with this bike for me just possible options… like I said in the original post its a love or hate machine.. not everyone gets it.

JRTG
    Free Member

Stunning bike!! As an avid singlespeed fully rigid rider for pretty much the same reasons as you, it certainly floats my boat!!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t love it or hate it…it’snot my cup of tea, but I just don’t see how it’s so versatile.

thehustler
    Free Member

weeds in patio and grass needs cutting, nothing more to say really………………

…………………oh the bike looks great

kudos100
    Free Member

Tut, tut, poor choice of bar tape. Other than that, not nearly as bad as I had originally thought.

RagTi
    Free Member

Paul, A truly stunning bespoke bike. Looks kind of useable in many ways too. Well done.

paul78
    Free Member

I apologise for the weeds ( no one noticed the present my dog had left in the background ) ..

.. bar tape was just the cheapest they had in the shop unfortunately .. I may double wrap so will go over the top of itin plain black..

Only thing I am really regretting is not getting a Brooks saddle but they were just too much money

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’ve an antique (it at least looks like it) Brooks you can have it you want it Paul … sat in the workshop doing nowt.

paul78
    Free Member

Ooh Free Brooks .. sounds good to me … mail me as I have something for you 🙂

markenduro
    Free Member

Great looking bike there, I always like the double top tube look.

paul78
    Free Member

First ride report…

… can confirm its alot of fun .. dirt drops definately promote a differing style of riding.. not great for everything.. noticed the lack of pull on some steep inclines but on the whole they realy worked through singletrack.

.. wish I had bought Luxy bars and not midges as midges seem very short in the drop … may change them.

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

What a nice bike,maybe some wood chippers would help.

paul78
    Free Member

Are woodchippers a dirt drop or a cx bar ???

ir_bandito
    Free Member

That’s ace.

How much was the frame and where did you get it from?

Get a belt-drive on it!

What’s the length like? any issue with toe-overlap?

paul78
    Free Member

It came from here…

http://blog.beardedman.co.uk/?p=512

I have been looking at belt drives … just wanted to get it up and running first.

It looks really long but doesn’t ride like that and tons of standover … rode some tight singletrack last night and had no issue with overlap..

Some great build suggestions were offered up to me on MTBR thread..

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/wtf-uk-729310.html

andyl
    Free Member

few things that spoil it for me:

SLX cranks – surely you want something a bit more sculptured and retro-ish?

Silver rims with slx cranks, black post, black stem and black bars. I would like to see what it looks like with all silver parts as think the black doesnt go with the curvy frame, silver rims and bright frame colour.

Sorry 🙁

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Cool.
    what’s the weight like? Did you get frame weight before you built it?

ourmaninthenorth

Like the finished item.

I love the continuous curve from headtube to dropouts. But, I hate the split toptube – I’d want it to be a single tube splitting into separate stays.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Very nice, suits you to a tee. Try not to break this one! 😉

Ed

paul78
    Free Member

All comments welcome..

SLX cranks are just what I had … planning to get them completely polished..

Chrome rims I got for 10 euros for the pair … I was planning on all black parts but couldn’t pass up the opportunty.

Will go chrome bars when I find some second hand luxy bars 🙂

Unfortunately didn’t weigh frame .. bike weight is reasonable but not light .. bordering heavy 🙂

paul78
    Free Member

Never actually broke I bike I owned .. only other peoples 🙁

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’ve just got back from posting your Brooks saddle … it’s a 30 mile round trip to the post office 😉

paul78
    Free Member

thanks fella 🙂

Pro’s and Con’s of living in such a good spot I guess 🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘WTF .. starting a new bike build’ is closed to new replies.