WTF does No1 mean?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • WTF does No1 mean?
  • twinw4ll

Genuine question, when advertisements claim that the product is number 1 and it’s quite clear that it isn’t the biggest seller. W T F does it mean, are they trying to convince me otherwise the dirty scheming lying twunts, or is it just to establish the product isn’t a number 2.
    Bee firmly embedded in my manly no1 bonnet.

Endorsed by the Duke of New York?

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

Look for the asterisk/clarifying statement in tiny text near the bottom.
    Normally it’s along the lines of “based on survey of 137 easily influenced/bribed morons”.

Context is everything, for example: my Car is the Number 1 choice for cars to drive to work in!*

*(of the cars on our drive, being the only one).

Omit the details and your claim can be as bold as you like.

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Waitrose premium brand isn’t it?

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

It means nothing.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Alpecin, the number 1 caffeine shampoo in Germany. What was number 2? Why do I want caffeine in my hair? When I think of Germans and hair the only ones that come to mind are The Hoff’s curly mullet and a Charlie Chaplain mustache.

I don’t get it.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

It means you’re the duke.

Rob Hilton

When I think of Germans and hair the only ones that come to mind are awesome mullets

paton

Pronounced no-one

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

It means you’re the duke.

👏👏 I’ll show that some appreciation Drac, even if no1 else gets it.

forzafkawi

“In tests no ibuprofen product is proven to be better”. That’s because they’re all the bleeding same!

Subscriber

“In tests no ibuprofen product is proven to be better”. That’s because they’re all the bleeding same!

Or better than paracetamol.

jon1973

Or better than paracetamol.

Whether or not ibuprofen is better than paracetamol depends what you’re using it for.

I’ll show that some appreciation Drac, even if no1 else gets it.

See the second post in the thread.

Where’s my copyright lawyer when I need him?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Ah! Bugger sorry PP. 😢

Subscriber

Whether or not ibuprofen is better than paracetamol depends what you’re using it for.

That’s why it’s such a daft claim. They probably put the counter claim in the panadol adverts.

Premier Icon nickdavies
    Subscriber

It’s like new and improved. How does that work?!

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

See the second post in the thread.

Damn it! Sorry, I missed that also.

It’s like new and improved. How does that work?!

All this time you’ve been using old and inferior.

michaelmcc

And how can a book be a number 1 best seller when it’s only been released?

Premier Icon martymac
    Subscriber

‘New and improved’
    Well which is it, is it an old product which has been improved?
    Or a new product, which obviously cannot cannot have been improved, because it’s new?
    Can’t be both.

Premier Icon reluctantjumper
    Subscriber

Look for the asterisk/clarifying statement in tiny text near the bottom.
    Normally it’s along the lines of “based on survey of 137 easily influenced/bribed morons”.

I’ve been one of those ‘Morons’ when I was a student! There used to be a place you could register with (probably online now) and they would send you stuff to try that fitted what you were interested in or your demographic. Random stuff from free razors, chocolate bars to a new hoover. You got to keep the product afterwards and all you had to do was score the product on a few categories. Trouble is people quickly worked out that if you scored a product well you’d get sent more of a similar item, ones you scored badly would be removed off your profile and you’d get less. As the scoring company was in the business of getting their clients good scores you can see how this is going. Good scores = more free stuff!! The best reviewers would occasionally get spot prizes too, everything from a free weekly shop to holidays and the woman who told me about it won a Corsa (with Kingsmill branding..)! Sadly so many people know about it now (mainly bored housewives) that the freebies are few and far between so I stopped a good 10 years ago.

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

Well which is it, is it an old product which has been improved?
    Or a new product, which obviously cannot cannot have been improved, because it’s new?
    Can’t be both.

My mum used to whinge about this, which I though was particularly pointless and pedantic.

It’s could be a “new formulation”, which is an “improvement over the old formulation”. The new is a development from the old.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.