Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Wtf Charity Chuggers now on doorsteps?
  • hora
    Free Member

Aggressive tactics, wouldn’t take no for an answer. Is this allowed??

Can I complain to British Heart foundation about their partner/business?

There are alot of elderly on our street who might not be aware of this business model.

Drac

Not new at all and why you’re right about the elderly I just close the door if anyone gets pushy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

are they still there waiting for your answer seeing as no did not work or perhaps closing the door worked as a method of saying no?

I need to know in case this happens to me.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Yes you can complain, and you should. Did you note the caller’s details (badge ID, ect) also inform your neighbourhood rozzer, just to be sure they are ‘genuine’ agents, and local authority if they operate a ‘No Cold Call’ zone.

Woody
    Free Member

I find I have no problem being rude to cold callers when they become pushy but you are right about the elderly; for many of them it is not the done thing to tell people to bugger off.

It’s a shame that charities are now forced into these sorts of tactics to survive.

bearnecessities

Really? That’s not right at all.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

We’ve had a bloke coming round, selling dusters and cleaning products, and using a story about just coming out of prison.

Didn’t bother me, but I can imagine my retired neighbours being quite intimidated by this kind of pitch.

takisawa2

I once threw a upvc facia salesmans bag down the drive, with a promise that he was about to follow it, so turning them rsoles away doesn’t pose me any issues. 👿
    If I saw him headed to any of the elderly neighbours I’d follow him round in case they needed him shifting.
    Ckin idiots.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We’ve had a bloke coming round, selling dusters and cleaning products, and using a story about just coming out of prison.

So did we. He was actually on ROTL (day release to you lot) from HMP Kirklevington Grange & being the caring Mr Flipping Barraclough I am, bought some stuff off him. 🙂

Had two Nobheads from Lovefilm at the door a few months ago, one of the useless tossers was still talking as I slammed the door in his face.

Pook

Just whisper to them and say you have a sleeping baby behind the door. Works every time.

Olly
    Free Member

we get LOADS around these here parts. Annoyingly a fair few of them have been into charity shops, picked up a wodge of leaflets and are scammers.

hora
    Free Member

I was eating mi’ dinner. Said this. I was even munching away as I only answered the door incase it was a neighbour etc. Ffs ‘Im eating my tea sorry’

This is a very important thing I have to talk to you about’

boxfish
    Free Member

I immediately inform such callers that we have a policy of not signing up to anything on the doorstep. Perhaps my body language also suggests that their efforts are futile. And the fact that I’m naked.

carlosg
    Free Member

Had a really aggressive operator call from UNICEF a few months back , they had been sweet talking my wife in a couple of previous calls and had called to talk to her again . I told them we weren’t interested and she started shouting at me down the phone(no swearing) i told her that raising her voice and shouting at me was not acceptable. We recieved a follow up call a couple of weeks later where I told the operator about the previous call and that we wished to be removed from their caller list , strangely this operator was most apologetic.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

I like to sing a medley of Susan Boyle songs at them until they leave

souldrummer
    Free Member

We have them bomb burst round here occasionally. Had to tell some bloke from an animal charity where to go once, as he didn’t seem to understand the word ‘no’.

piemonster

Can I complain to British Heart foundation about their partner/business?

Yes, and you should. They won’t work for BHF, but they are who you should complain to.

piemonster

I immediately inform such callers that we have a policy of not signing up to anything on the doorstep. Perhaps my body language also suggests that their efforts are futile. And the fact that I’m naked.

This works particularly well if one of your hands is busy.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I was in Exeter the other day and outside the office of a big emplyment agecy (I forget which one, but sort of opposite house of Fraser if you know it) there were those charity salespeople with clipboards, except that this time they weren’t collecting direct debit signup commission payments money this tme: they were recruiting even more charity direct debit signup people. They are replicating! 😯

CountZero

Every so often there’s a shoal of them turn up in our high street, clip-boards and cheery banter akimbo. I walk past with earphones in, and if any start to attempt a conversation, I can’t hear them. The ones who come to the door I’m always polite to, but I always refuse, pointing out that if I took on every charity that comes to the door, I’d have nothing left to live on. I do support two local charities, particularly Wiltshire Air Ambulance; they receive no outside funding, and without them, my brother probably wouldn’t have survived an RTA.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I do support two local charities, particularly Wiltshire Air Ambulance; they receive no outside funding, and without them, my brother probably wouldn’t have survived an RTA.
    & a bloody good stance to take!

We subscribe to two, RSPB & Dogs for the Disabled. If I had loadsa £££’s I’d give to lots more.

dabble
    Free Member

Cancer Research, NSPCC and Yorkshire Air Ambulance, if we’re doing the philanthropic phallus flapping fing. 😉

busydog
    Free Member

Back when I had my 2 german shepherds, their presence at my side when answering the door generally precluded any pushy approach by sales people. With my 2 labradoodles, not so much.

user-removed
    Free Member

The issue I have with charities is that as soon as you sign up, they’re on the bloody phone once every fortnight harassing you to ‘up’ your donation. The RSPCA are particularly bad for this.

PETA just spend every waking moment sending through emails with pictures of hideously tortured animals. They already receive a half decent sum from me monthly, but always want more for a particular campaign.

The doorsteppers just get told that the business already contributes a set amount to several charities and I can’t change this without speaking to my accountant. Who is on holiday in Honduras.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

sorry bye, closes door

batfink
    Free Member

My (elderly) uncle, very loudly:
    “Double glazing?? No thank you…. I hear that can give you AIDS”
    *waits for response*

hora
    Free Member

User removed. I once bought a tent on ebay described as brand new. The poles werent. The seller immediately refunded/said please keep so to balance the karma I made a donation to the Samaritans. My donation must have been wiped ten times over since by their pursuit/letters. Ffs.

jordie
    Free Member

I love the line ” Your neighbours have all signed up ” aye well good for them now beat it!

scruff
    Free Member

I had 4 all come to the door within about an hour of each other, 2 sets of Christians, 1 lot of Johovahs (cant spell it an dont care) and some other diety claptrap, I thought we’d soon be getting a religous war in the street.

mrchrispy

I was going to go a fake a heart attack type gag but realised it maybe bad taste. I’m sure SFB would see th funny side.

Anyway, I just tell them I have a policy of not giving out money or bank details to people at the door and I already do the give as you earn thing to cancer research and macmillans.

mick_r

I just explain that we already give to a couple of charities that don’t doorstep. Also keep some dd forms for those charities by the door and produce them asking if they’d like to hand over their bank details or make a cash donation.

They always seem to politely decline and go away 🙂

piemonster

The issue I have with charities is that as soon as you sign up, they’re on the bloody phone once every fortnight harassing you to ‘up’ your donation. The RSPCA are particularly bad for this.

When you sign up, did you tick the box that said “please don’t contact me” ? Or similar, I believe that’s a legal requirement to have on the form?

binners

Ask them to come in while you talk to them about the lord and saviour!

dannybgoode

I just answer the door with the hound in tow.

I know she’s soft as shit but a greyhound that can jump up and rest is paws on the shoulders of a 5’10” chugger and look them in the eyes tends to put them off for some reason…

Cheers

Danny B

edlong
    Free Member

Doorstep charity collecting isn’t new, but the pushy / aggressive tactics are since in t’olden days it would be volunteers collecting for a charity they cared about, but these days it is, more often, professional collectors with targets to meet in order to earn a living. I’m not against professional fundraising, but I don’t enjoy the pushiness that it (sometimes) generates.

Definitely complain to the charity if you’ve had a bad experience.

meehaja
    Free Member

I sometimes have lunch at home (parking an ambulance fast response vehicle outside the house). The number of religious/sales people that knock on the door is shocking. You’d think the presence of an ambulance would suggest the occupants were busy. Had BHF chugging whilst dealing with a cardiac arrest once. Invited them in to watch, interestingly they declined “not so interested in heart health now are you?”

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Wtf Charity Chuggers now on doorsteps?’ is closed to new replies.