Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • WTF? Apache helicopter in Derbyshire?
  • amodicumofgnar

A-10s win on the big gun front. Havent seen any in years, have they all left the UK? They used to be all over the North Pennines – the joys of living in a low flying area. Best sight was, I think, all the herc’s going up the Northumberland for some big excercise. Might have been the largest peace time parachute drop.

matt_outandabout

Can we now have a ‘cool copters’ thread?

Chase
    Free Member

Is that the original “gunship” as in Rambo 3 style??

The one and the same.

MtbCol
    Free Member

The Rambo Copters were a tweaked one of these:

See!

Vortexracing

Ironically it landed (the apache that is) in front of my window this afternoon for re-fuelling.

mean looking buggers they are

CountZero

A10’s were removed from frontline service and given to the Air National Guard, after some halfwit decided that F16 Fighting Falcons were better ground attack aircraft. Plus the Yanks were too scared to use them at low level, which is what they were designed for, in case one got shot down with an RPG, and had them operating at 10000ft, where they couldn’t clearly identify coalition vehicles and so shot the crap out of several, killing a number of people.
    I remember being sat up on Llanstephan Castle watching A10’s doing live firing runs across the river. Amazing sound, like someone ripping large sheets of heavy canvas.

amodicumofgnar

I thought the point of the A10 was just a big gun and an armoured bath tub for the pilot with everything else being designed to work if when most of it was shot away.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I do hope that the ANG are taking good care of those A10s.

If Terminator Salvation taught us one thing, it’s that they’ll form the cornerstone of our air combat operations in the forthcoming post-apocalyptic war against Skynet.

😛

zokes
    Free Member

A couple of years back, we were on a night ride in Snowdonia, when 3 buzzed past at about our level, turrets pointed at us! I guess they’d seen the lights and the gunners / pilots glanced our way with their night vis. Quite scary!

rootes1

yes army air corp apache built under licence from Boeing by Westland helicoptors…

uk apache has more powerful engines and other UK features… (probably making it less effective lol – daylight/clear weather only chinnock anyone)

still looks awesome and and odd sight when you see them over london

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

rootes1 – Member

yes army air corp apache built under licence from Boeing by Westland helicoptors…

uk apache has more powerful engines and other UK features… (probably making it less effective lol – daylight/clear weather only chinnock anyone)

Actually, UK variant generally considered superior to the American.

mcboo
    Free Member

Oh a boys toys thread……we had a couple of A10 fire above us at Infantry School in Brecon. That Gatling sounds like someone has set off a Black and Decker drill next to your head.

We’d have put in an order for 200 of those but the RAF decided they knew best and blew the dough on Eurofighter Typhoons instead. That was 1993. Cheers guys.

rootes1

By people on forums or by actual apache pilots?

Good if ours is better, shows well can still cut it in aviation engineering.

hora
    Free Member

Lets face it. Its probably safer for them to fly Apache’s in England than in a war zone.

nuke

Just had two go over Dorking. Makes a change from the Chinooks 😀

:edit: …and another one

hora
    Free Member

No RPG’s in Dorking either 😆

jools182
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

One flew over my house in Liverpool the other day, first one I ever saw.

when I go and see my Mum in Liverpool the helicopter is always up, the Police one 😉

zokes
    Free Member

but the RAF decided they knew best and blew the dough on Eurofighter Typhoons instead

I seem to recall the 4 down in the Falklands seem to be upsetting the Argies as we aren’t playing fair and leaving ‘Las Malvinas’ undefended any more. So it appears eurofighters are good for some things. Those, and the possibility of sub-launched cruise missiles….

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

rootes1 – Member

By people on forums or by actual apache pilots?
    By design.
    More useful rotor blade mech. design, improved environmental operating capability, better defensive aids system, more powerful engine, improved ordnance capability, etc…

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

That Mi-24 is a mean machine and it can carry 12 troops as well. They were pretty effective in Afghanistn during the war in the late-70s – 80s and that is why the US started shipping Stingers to the mujahidin….whoops.

The Apaches are getting a bit of a rep in Afghanistan where they are known as “Mosquitos” and are not winning any friends amongst the bearded and AK47 carrying nutters 🙂

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

One other useful feature of the British variant is that it’s navalised. So, unlike the original, it can be flown from carriers, HMS Ocean and indeed any RN/RFA vessel with a helipad.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

apache and A10 rely on a benign air evironment to operate

if the iranians manage to get operator guided man portable surface to air missiles to the oppostion things will be a lot different

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Not especially for the Apache with it’s DAS.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

I followed one in the car for 20minutes oN friday!! It was flying pretty low over the m25 following the traffic.

Mental but brightened up my journey!!

mav12
    Free Member

petrieboy

One flying east up the a505 just at Royston right now if anyone else is on te flight path!

jd-boy
    Free Member

They are based at Wattasham, Suffolk, hence seeing them near Royston, delivered a rental car one day to RAF Honington, parked the car on the perryroad, there was an apache hovering about 20 feet of the deck following me,scary, when you think the pilots of them are trained to use both eyes independantly, the one round the M25 was probably the new police vehicle to stop speeding drivers LOL

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Not especially for the Apache with it’s DAS.

I disagree, a credible SAM threat using SACLOSBR technology will be difficult to counter and if they go lower to avoid this threat they are at risk from RPG

even if they can detect the laser (for the 10-30 sec max time of flight, target at around 6km) they will not be allowed to laser back due to the risks for civilians or kids with laser pens

also older anti tank sytems such as Milan which are essentially passive and unjammable are a credible threat and probably available on the market

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘WTF? Apache helicopter in Derbyshire?’ is closed to new replies.