Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • WTD: Suggestions for Girl's Name
  • RustySpanner

DrP – Member

Chardoney. Spelt like that.

Or, evie s a nice name….

DrP

No, it isn’t. 🙂
    Eve or Evelyn are nice names for a human being.
    Evie is a perfectly acceptable thing to call a goldfish or gerbil.

How about Sensimilla? Or Chlamydia?

chiefgrooveguru – Member

We have an 11 day old Xanthe here – we wanted something that wasn’t a top ten name, or heading that way – hoping it’s not too unusual… You’re welcome to borrow it if you promise they won’t be at the same school!

I really like it.
    Your daughter, however, will spend a significant proportion of her life uttering the phrase, ‘No….with an X, not a Z’ and will hate you forever. 😀

ratherbeintobago

You’re welcome to borrow it if you promise they won’t be at the same school!

That’s only a potential problem if you’re about 5 miles SW of STW Towers.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

*Erin. Having grown up in the West of Scotland, I flat refused to name our daughter a name that features in the first line of The Sash.

Erin is purely the English version of Eire which refers to the whole island of Ireland before partition so it’s hardly that political. Most People singing it are unlikely to know the verse!

Anyway my suggestion is Finvola a Scots deviation from the Irish name Fionnuala. Mentioned in the song The Gem of the Roe.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

You already know the sex? Do you peek through the wrapping paper at your x’mas presents? 😉

Seriously though, having had some experience here, and having a partner working in the children’s section of our local hospital, there are very compelling reasons not to find out the sex (although some people absolutely NEED to know e.g. my cousin who has a serious genetic disorder that will only be passed down to male children), and where you DO know the sex, not to decide on any names just yet.

robbo
    Free Member

As a teacher I can recommend Alice, Megan, Florence, liberty, katharine, Emily. Do not call het Zoe, Rachel, Eve, Kim, Chloe, Jasmine.

Remember the name causes success or not at school – really 😉

scaredypants

Someone I used to work with named their girl Lanesra

she used to post on here quite a lot

jokerdave
    Free Member

We decided on Freya. Quite liked Ruby aswell

ratherbeintobago

Seriously though, having had some experience here, and having a partner working in the children’s section of our local hospital, there are very compelling reasons not to find out the sex…, and where you DO know the sex, not to decide on any names just yet.

You’ll have to expand on that.

We didn’t find out last time; had settled on Isobel or James. This time round, had James in mind for a boy, decided to find out (if only for the sake of allowing us to clear out all the girl’s baby stuff on t’Bay) and were told it’s a girl. If, by some unlikely chance* it’s a boy, he’ll be James.

Remember the name causes success or not at school – really

I thought the biggest determinant was mother’s level of education?

Andy

*I refer you to Wyatt R, Wilson AM. Children of anaesthetists. Br Med J. 1973 Mar 17;1(5854):675–675.

aracer
    Free Member

Everyone knows that the only appropriate suggestion in that vein is Bernard

Bob, surely?

ononeorange

Solaria

Ada

Posh

labsey
    Free Member

Sram or Shimano.

stevied
    Free Member

There was a choice of 3 for us, Faith, Scarlett and Seren (Seren being welsh – welsh wifey). We narrowed it down to Faith or Seren and went safe…really liked Seren tho but Faith suits. We ended up using Seren as her middle name

Tom-B
    Free Member

Colin

Baby Robyn

banks
    Free Member

Fanny

IanMunro
    Free Member

Colin

I think for a girl it has to be –
    Colynn
    or
    Colinetta.

ratherbeintobago

Bob, surely?

As any fule kno, Bob’s real name is Kate.

Baby Robyn

Isobel (who is 2) has variously suggested Baby Sister, Isobel and Peppa.

I think for a girl it has to be –
    Colynn
    or
    Colinetta.

I see you’ve been to the W Highlands (where there are meant to be lots of ladies called things like Donaldina)

Andy

sharkbait
    Free Member

We’ve got a Jessica, Laura and Chloe…. 🙂

AdamW
    Free Member

Persephone
    Ophelia
    Gingivitis

Though the poor girl can change her name. I changed mine, so you aren’t stuck with it for life.

So go on, call her Lucy Lastic, you know you want to!

Pigface
    Free Member

Giving a girl a boys name means they will turn out nuts FACT Jo, Charlie, Sam etc all nuts.

I like the name Seran, Hannah, Agatha or if you want to get a bit weird Leeloo

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“Giving a girl a boys name means they will turn out nuts FACT Jo, Charlie, Sam etc all nuts.”

That might actually be true.

any way get ahead of the fashion and try … Sandra, Susan, Val or Brenda

freeagent
    Free Member

We’ve got Amelia-Grace (Millie) and Charlotte-Louisa

Millie got her name just because we both liked it, however Charlotte was going to be Charles, as we were convinced we were going to have a boy.

I liked Aurora, Aurelia and Emily, the wife also liked Bronwyn.

My wife is a teacher (in a fairly rough school) there are some shocking names around – she used to teach a kid called Crystal Doulton!
    Wifes Chavvy cousin has called her baby Angel-Sky!

I really wanted names that would suit them, whatever they ended up doing in life – I mean you don’t really want a heart surgeon with a name like a stripper…

Muke
    Free Member

Molly

sbob
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – Member

We have an 11 day old Xanthe here – we wanted something that wasn’t a top ten name, or heading that way – hoping it’s not too unusual… You’re welcome to borrow it if you promise they won’t be at the same school!

Nice tactic.
    You’ve realised you’ve given your daughter an obviously obscure name that she’ll hate you for, so now you’re trying to convince others to use it to dilute the effect and mitigate the damage.
    Very cunning… 8)

chiefgrooveguru

Rumbled… 😛

bigbadbob
    Free Member

Hope
    Orange
    Santa Cruz
    Endura
    Evoc
    Maxxis
    and Oakley
    If these names are good enough for all my kids, then they are good enough for yours too.

clubber
    Free Member

Xanthe

That’s not uncommon. At least I know of three of them… Geographic thing, possibly of course.

ratherbeintobago

Thought we’d decided on a name last night, and today Mrs RBIT has decided she doesn’t like it. Wouldn’t mind but this is the second time she’s done this. Aaaaaaargh!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I was standing watching some rugby at the weekend while two ladies chatted within earshot.

“You won’t believe this; my brother just called his daughter Nia.”

“What, as in near and far? That’s a bit silly isn’t it? Is it welsh?” (First lady was welsh.)

“Yeah, that’s what I thought, but it’s N-I-A, Nia. No, I don’t think it’s welsh now that you mention it.”

🙂

unovolo
    Free Member

Deia
    Zante
    Mabel

allthepies
    Free Member

Spudulika

drlex
    Free Member

Go Greek?
    (“owner” of a Cassandra, known as Cassie)

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Lilliah

fatmax

If my lad had been born a lass he would have been Daisy.
    By the time we had No.2, we’d changed our minds to Georgia, and she’s a feisty but lovely Georgia peach of a girl.
    Good luck! And as long as you don’t go for something totally leftfield she’ll grow into her name…

fatmax

Just looking at some of the other suggestions, and wor lass like Robyn a lot too.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

When being shown round a nursery once I spied the name ‘lambini’ on a peg

I couldn’t help but query it as the person showing me round had seen the look of horror on my face . . . turns out it is a greek girls name – of all the countries in europe her parents had to move too . . .

I have grown up having a rather unusual name (named after an ancient greek water nymph!) I quite like it now but there were definitely times I would have rather blended in a bit more! probably why my daughter is called Charlotte – a classic name that wont get any undue attention

stevio

The Thursday before our child was born we were in the local Indian, and my o/h made me write 5 boys and 5 girls names on a napkin as we hadn’t really been that bothered either way.

For boys we settled on Callum James and girls came to either Leah Ellen Grace or just Ellen Grace making potential initials EGO or LEGO.

Mrs O thought she might be saddled with Luke or Han at one point….

And CJ he is…. always seems sturdy as a name to me. Callum is from the same root as Malcolm (back to St Columba which means Dove), and James was Mrs O’s grandad’s name. Callum seemed rare till we had him and then they popped up everywhere…..

William was possible, but i couldn’t take Billy.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jenna. What about Jenna? Nice name….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m a sucker for floral names myself. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, Darcy, old chap, that’s because you have impeccable taste. 🙂

aye-aye
    Free Member

FFS wait until she can talk and then let her decide on her own name!

You may end up with a daughter named poo-poo wee-wee though
    or pony
    or penguin
    or colin

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘WTD: Suggestions for Girl's Name’ is closed to new replies.