Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • WTD – Learner/progressive downhill trail near Winchester/southampton
  • Lummox

Hi

I've built myself a nice project bike, realised my skills bottle needs a little topping up before hitting the bigger centers and making an arse out of myself in the 'all the gear, no idea' catagory.

So looking for somewhere within 20 minutes drive of Winchester/Southampton to re-learn/ learn some big bike handling skills before and after work, so only really 1-2 hour max sessions.

Ideally it'll have

Drops, Berms, table tops and also gaps, maybe some woodwork too.

Also, no day fee if possible.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Al

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There's some stuff to play with in Lordswood, but if you're after playground stuff, without a fee, you'll be lucky!
    Ride your local trails, improvise with what you see and find. Maybe try a day at Esher Shore, or head to Blandford (You'll be paying at both, IIRC)

Failing that, if you want skills, try a BMX track or a skatepark. Seriously, they'll do a lot for your skills. Salisbury, Romsey and Scumpton (down by the Pier, IIRC).

Lummox

Cool, thanks for suggestions. Used to ride in Lordswood years ago, it's really just trying to find somewhere to spend some time before work and increase my riding time/big bike skills before going to the bigger places and being a bit overwhelmed.

cinnamon_girl

Isn't there some downhill (possibly unofficial) in QEP?

jam-bo

Rogate?

Lummox

Both Rogate and QE (shhh) are just outside my 'throw bike in back of car for before and after night shift' rides. Still options, but was looking for something i can visit on the way (hedge end to winchester).

I'm thinking i might try and find some 'common access' land and create something subtle to practice on.

cinnamon_girl

I believe there's some 'unofficial' trails in Farley Mount but don't know whether that would include downhill.

Lummox

that could be promising, i'm planning a ride through there next wednesday so i'll have a little look. There's a cracking footpath to be walked down from the top of farley mount i know that 😉

cinnamon_girl

Morestead Down? When the military aren't playing obviously!

Lummox

Just a bit further along the morestead road is a bit of access land i was toying with, needs a lot of work though. The old track in the military area is abandoned from when i used to ride there years ago, sigh. Those are still my strongest possibilities especially the access land as it's uber steep and used by no one but thistles, nettles and hawthorn.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Please don't go building silly stuff unless you;
    A – Know what you're doing
    B – Have the landowners permission

cinnamon_girl

I tend to agree with the Cap'n. Us mtb'ers get enough grief as it is 🙁

Lummox

Absolutely agree, no intention of building anything 'physical' hence the post on anything already built. If i did anything it would be no more than weed clearing. I'm aware there is a proposal for a trail center in Farley Mount and don't intend to do anything to jepordise that. The ideal soulution would be somthing well out the way.

dobo
    Free Member

that farley mount footpath your talking about that goes down to the road sounds like clarendon way and on my map appears to be a bridleway, (my map might be out of date though) anyway its quality i rode down it in the dark with my dx light and rigid forks last night, awesome solo night ride, theres some fun singletrack at farley area but as far as i know no downhill bermy type stuff. lordswoods a bit steeper with some berms in areas, but shorter

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

UK bike park or whatever its called near Blandford is good for the type of thing you're after. Second the bmx track idea for improving bike control, but do it on a bmx or 24"cruiser, mtbs on bmx tracks just feel wrong.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘WTD – Learner/progressive downhill trail near Winchester/southampton’ is closed to new replies.