Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • WTB Tyre Musings
  • buenfoxa
    Free Member

New build has let me take stock of tyre choice.

Previously ran a Magic Mary EVO Trailstar front and Hans Dampf Supr Gravity Trailstar rear.

Always thought that the dampf was draggy and so before I press the button on the same tyres could any of you recommend some WTB alternatives as they seem to get great reviews.

muggomagic

Vigilante high grip front and trail boss fast rear is a good combo. I think they only do the vigilante high grip in 27.5 though.

vincienup
    Free Member

Vigilante Tough/High Grip (essentially SG-TS) and Trail Boss Tough/Fast (essentially SG-PS) is my default choice for 27.5.

I really wish they did the Tough/High Grip in 29er Vigilante’s too – although my winter combo of Tough/Fast Vigilante each end wasn’t too bad.

Ranger is on my list of things to play with. Depending on the type of mud you have, the Warden might be better – Vigilante clears well enough for me in the Peaks.

buenfoxa
    Free Member

Should of said its 27.5.

I’m in North Wales so a combination of rock and loam!

The Breakout as a rear looks interesting…..

muggomagic

The vigilante is a superb tyre. The breakout looks good though.

prawny

Vigilantes are ace, my last 2 bikes have come with them and they’re a really good front tyre.

Got a Trail Boss on the rear currently which is good, and had a Bee Line before. Only ridden them at Cannock so far and both were good on the rear, not sure the Bee Line would be up to much in loam or mud.

metcalt

I’m currently running the bog standard Vigilantes (think they were £8 each) and they’ve been great. I’ve not had any issues around Dalby, Glentress, the Moors and local routes so I can only assume that the more upmarket, tackier ones will be even better.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Vigilantes are tough, and good in the dry, but I don’t rate them in the wet personally, particularly wet rocks. I’m running Dampf front/RockRazor rear in the dry, and Mary in wet conditions on the front.

I have a few spare Vigilantes if you want one?

muggomagic

What version of the vigilante are you running Reggie?

sweaman2
    Free Member

Admittedly it’s a sample of 1 but Sweamrs Vigilante were a real pain to get on / off the rims. They are UST certified (at least some versions) which made them proper tight….

grey

I run Vigilante and Trailboss on my 29er, in the winter when it gets sloppy i put a Magic Mary on the front.

hairyscary

Vigilante light high-grip and Trail Boss tough fast rolling for dryer and all day stufff
    Convict light high-grip and Vigilante tough fast rolling for steeper/wetter stuff.

Ex Maxxis fanboi who is very impressed with WTB.

muggomagic

The day WTB make a convict and vigilante in 27.5 x 2.8 high grip tough and 29 x 2.3 will be a wonderful day.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Breakout on rear is just as quick as trailboss, but a bit grippier IMO.

buenfoxa
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

Vigilantes are tough, and good in the dry, but I don’t rate them in the wet personally, particularly wet rocks.

Whilst (hopefully) not an issue coming into Spring and Summer some of my riding will be rocky – what type do you run?

Maybe a Convict light/high grip front and Breakout tough/fast rear is the way to go?

mboy
    Free Member

The Vigilante is like a less good Magic Mary if that makes sense. A reasonably good tyre, seems to perform well in most situations, until you try the Mary which is just better everywhere (except the rear wheel)…

Trail Boss isn’t a bad rear tyre, it’s very fast rolling considering it’s not a semi slick, still finds decent climbing and braking traction too. Does let go a bit early when banked over though due I guess to the lack of aggressive side knobs, but it’s fairly predictable when it goes though.

They’re not bad tyres, and if they come on your new bike they’re worth running until you can be bothered to upgrade or they wear out, but there’s nowhere I would chose them over a Mary/Rock Razor combo myself.

qwerty
    Free Member

Trail Boss isn’t a bad rear tyre, it’s very fast rolling considering it’s not a semi slick, still finds decent climbing and braking traction too. Does let go a bit early when banked over though due I guess to the lack of aggressive side knobs, but it’s fairly predictable when it goes though.

+1

I’ve just gone lite with my tyres and fitted Vigilante light grippy & Trail Boss light fast.

I really like them for my local TechC riding. The 2.3 front 2.25 rear quickens up cornering.

qwerty
    Free Member

mboy – drop me an email when your bikes built and I’ll show you round

Northwind

I’m still annoyed with them for fumbling all the 29er compounds, tbh, no good reason to make them different from other sizes. But they make interesting tyres, they tend to fit well in the gaps other companies leave. Like the Vigilante fast frinstance, I don’t think anyone else has a tyre like that.

muggomagic

I guess they didn’t bother as all the enduro mob were using 27.5 and 29ers were for xc racers.
    I’m hoping that with all the 29er enduro bikes now being made that WTB will see there is a market for a grippy 29er tyre.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘WTB Tyre Musings’ is closed to new replies.