Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • WTB Trail Boss Tough Fast or Grip
  • mark90
    Free Member

I usually run Maxxis EXO casing tyres for my typical riding, rooty loamy FOD and South Wales forest off piste. I have some rocky riding coming up so thinking about something a bit tougher. I’ve been impressed with the WTB tough casing on a Vigilante on my old hardtail so thinking about a Trail Boss in tough as a rear for the full sus. Not sure whether to go fast or grip. My feeling is fast for the rear, but then I’m not sure how hard the fast compound is. How does it compare with say Maxxis dual compound for gripiness? Would be used for North Wales (Stiniog, Snowdon) and Ard Rock. Or is it a totally unsuitable tyre for that? The fact they are cheap on PlanetX is swaying me.

cookci
    Free Member

I have one on the rear in the tough fast compound

Grippy enough and rolls well, similar to the dual compound as you say. Almost bullet proof casing, i can feel the weight though and thinking of getting rid

I have run a vigilante tough fast as the rear in winter and run silly low pressures so grip is amazing in most conditions, i wouldnt want to try high grip on the rear

The WTBs have a really tall profile though compared to all tyres ive tried so it raises the rear of the bike unless you can fit a massive front to match (or another wtb on the front)

dumbbot
    Free Member

Trail Boss is utterly useless if there is even the slightest bit of mud around, it will clog horribly. I got a Vigilante/Trail Boss combo for pennies from PX sometime ago, Trail Boss went in the bin after 2 rides..still running the Vigilante upfront.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    milky1980
    Free Member

I’ve got a Trail Boss Light Fast Rolling on the back with a Convict Light High Grip on the front of my new bike and they’re as tough as a Maxxis Exo I used on the old bike.  Agree that the Trail Boss is not good in mud but for trail centres it’s great!  Plenty of grip and similar to Maxxis’ dual compound.  Rolls fast too.  I tried it as a replacement for the Convict Tough Fast Rolling which was so heavy it was unreal.  A Vigilante would be a good all round tyre though and I’ll be getting one for the autumn.  Once the WTB’s have worn out though I’ll be going back to Maxxis as the WTB tyres are heavy in comparison.

oldtalent
    Free Member

WTB breakouts are my goto tyre in tough fast but no uk stock currently so ive just ordered some of these. Was going to try tough high grip as i only really do gravity rides but the website wouldnt allow me to select that, so went fast instead.

I dont ride in mud, just dry trail & dh sites.

They look pretty decent, not much less knobbly than breakouts and for £10 each a bargain.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Can’t comment on the Trail Boss but I have a pair of Vigilantes on one bike.  High Grip on the front and Fast on the rear.  I’ve been really happy with them, plenty of grip but the rear is totally worn, way before the front is done.  For that reason I don’t think I’d ever put a high grip on the rear though I’d happily have another Fast on there.

mark90
    Free Member

Thanks. I think based on that I’ll give the fast compound a try. Rude not to at that price.

hopefiendboy

Where are the bargain vigilante tyres? Might get some!

Kahurangi

Whereabouts are you? I have a Vigilante/Trail Boss, Tough, Grip/Fast pair that I want rid of. Fairly worn but might be good for a test. North East.

p.s. I ran them at the Ard rock a couple of years ago. Perfect tyre for that.

p.p.s. hopefiendboy – try Planet X. I think I paid £25 a tyre for them. (a while ago)

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I have one on the rear in the tough fast compound.

I have a Ranger 2.8 in Tough Fast on my hardtail. It’s survived longer than the Light Grippy on the front.

mark90
    Free Member

Whereabouts are you? I have a Vigilante/Trail Boss, Tough, Grip/Fast pair that I want rid of. Fairly worn but might be good for a test. North East.

South West. Typical. Appreciate the offer anyway.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘WTB Trail Boss Tough Fast or Grip’ is closed to new replies.