• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by lump.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Wrist pain! – Recommend me some new bars for my Anthem 29r
  • mudmuncher

Hi All,

Never really got on with the stock Giant bars on my 2012 Anthem X1 29er. Mild wrist ache after a few hours in the saddle meaning I often end up resting my thumbs over the bars to get some relief. Last outing my right knuckle also started to hurt.

Stock bars are 690mm wide, 19mm rise and (I think) 9 degrees back sweep. Used with stock 100mm stem with 8 degrees upsweep.

I’m 6ft2 riding a large frame size with the seat 20mm off the min insertion, about 2 inches higher than the bars. Bike is used for general trail riding and the odd trip to Swinley, not hardcore XC racing.

Not sure what I need to make this more comfortable? Please help.

I’m guessing wider bars would help – 750ish mm?, a bit more back sweep? And maybe more rise to take some of the weight off?

Any recommendations gratefully received

hypnotoad
    Free Member

It may be worth giving Mary bars a try, lots of backsweep so may be easier on the wrists.

mudmuncher

Hypnotoad – just googled them, that is some serious back sweep, looks like 40 degrees or so!

Think they maybe even a bit narrower than my current bars so would be good if there was something a bit wider with not quite that much sweep.

raisinhat
    Free Member

Before swapping the bars, try adjusting the angle they are at, or possibly reducing the length of the stem to bring your weight further back. Also check your brake lever position – they should be in line with your arms and wrists when you are sitting on the saddle.

letmetalktomark

Wider bar and some Ergon grips with greater palm support?

On One Fleagle Pro bars are a nice shape, less extreme than the Mary’s.

Whilst not wide by today’s standards they still measure up about 685mm.

geoffj

Bar ends so you can swap positions.

ichabod
    Free Member

Yeah I would try some ergo type grips – these solved my hand/wrist pain

benji
    Free Member

I’m running Easton EC70 flat bars on mine with the Easton grips in the larger size, the bigger grips seem to give less hand issues.

nuke

After busting my wrist I started using Salsa Bend 2 Bars on my 29er…bit like Mary bars but still nice and wide plus a load of potential positions as you can use them either way up to adjust fit

mudmuncher

Thanks for the tips.

I’ve rotated the bars forward slightly which has raised them up a touch and lowered the levers, feels a bit better but wont’t be able to really tell until I go for a ride.

Those ergo grips look good, I notice halfords stock them and I recall they have a 28 day exchange policy so might get a pair to try out. Failing that the salsa bend 2 bars look like they have a decent amount of sweep, ideally I’d like to try something a bit wider but they may be the best option if the other things don’t work.

Mole
    Free Member

Have a look at Answer 20/20 Enduro bars,really like mine with normal grips.

zippykona

Fleagles are excellent .

cloudnine
    Free Member

How strong is your core?? Maybe putting too much weight on your bars and poor bike posture?? Just a thought.

Nonsense
    Free Member

Carbon bars help take out some of the buzz as well. Have you got your brakes angled correctly? I know this is a bit ‘on trend’ but a shorter stem wider bar makes a big difference to control ime

rollodes
    Free Member

I run planet x fleegles. With ergon grips. I have the same bike as you…

ichabod
    Free Member

Specialized do some too which are a bit cheaper: http://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p52102/specialized-bg-contour-xct-grip

iamroughrider
    Free Member

try rotating them in the stem.Maybe slide your saddle to a different position on the rails too. ie move everything back a bit.

mudmuncher

Thanks for the continued advice

I did some testing today…

With bars rotated forward in the stem which raises the grips (which I thought would improve things), it is worse, numbness + pain within 15 minutes – realised that up sweep means more pressure on outside of hand near little finger but rotated the other way with grips pointing down it is definitely better, but still not 100%.

I’ve come to the conclusion the Ergon grips (or Specialized equivalent) would solve this.

Just need to decide which ones Gs or Gp and whether to get built in bar ends. Never used bar ends before – are they worth the extra weight/cost?

lump

Im quite tall as well and had similar issue. I got some 780 bars and now done get much if any hand or wrist pain. so wide bars are worth a try

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Wrist pain! – Recommend me some new bars for my Anthem 29r’ is closed to new replies.