Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Wrington – Kings Wood ?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I was thinking of riding back to Bristol from Congesbury tomorrow (long story), are those 2 bridleways heading north out of Wrington worth a look? Or anything else in Kingswood (at least that’s what the OS map calls it, the area South of Brockley). MTB, not gravel 😉

I’ve had a nose round that area before and used to climb at Goblin Combe, but never really found much riding until you get up to Bourton. Surprising really, so I’ve assumed I’m missing something.

There isn’t a lot on the Strava heatmap either, so maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree?

ico86

No, nothing doing there except for the bridleways and maybe some of the other fire road type paths I’m afraid. Those woods aren’t massive and are under a mix of land ownership, nature trusts, shoots etc. and I think that they include scientific interest.. all in all its not fertile ground for trails.

byeway
    Free Member

I have worked this out over lockdown, lots of traffic free and nice woods.
    Follow the bridleway North from Wrington, across the end of the runway to come out on Brockley Combe near Fountain Timber. Then almost straight across for more byeway and dead end tarmac roads leading across Blackwell Hill to Long Lane and then Watercatch Farm. Bridleway across fields to join the lane and descend past Barrow Court, under the bypass towards Long Ashton then off left to join the fire roads up through Belmont Hill Woods. Back onto the road to the traffic lights and straight onto Beggar Bush Lane. After a bit turn right to get to the top of the quarry road then straight across the top of Ashton Court, or follow the MTB trail around the edge to get to the gatehouse, then suspension bridge, Clifton etc .. Maybe a bit late, away from home at present but pm me if you want a gpx for future use.

byeway
    Free Member

Key points Start by taking the drive up through the east side of Prestow Wood, leads all the way through to Brockley Combe. Choice of either quiet tarmac or byeways across to Watercatch Farm. After going under tha Long Ashton bypass you want to aim for Gatcombe Farm, really Gatcombe Mill that gets you into Belmont Hill Woods and up past the Giant Sequoia trees. Sorry can’t remember the turn off Beggar Bush Lane but it takes you past the rugby club then a left onto the lane that runs along the back of the rugby field, quarry fence on your right side. Plain sailing all downhill from there. !

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks Byeway. Would that Prestow Wood BW make for a good descent, it is it surfaced? I might drop down to Wrington before climbing back out and up to the airport area.

Also, and maybe you know it, but I’d probably drop down through Bourton Combe than the Barrow Gurney direction. That still gives easy access to Belmont and up to AC.

Cheers

petefromearth

@byeway have dm’d you as it would be great to get a copy of your gpx

byeway
    Free Member

Sorry folks, been off my phone all day. Maybe too late but the Prestow Wood bridleway is well surfaced, looks like an old driveway / avenue until you get to the top and into the woods. Not sure of your plans, but was it to descend down and then retrace your route back up again ?

Will send a gpx as requested

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Back fro the ride.

Bullhouse Lane is a good descent. As said, use Prestow Wood BW to climb back out of Wrington.

There’s more fenced off private land around Goblin and Brockley than I remembered. Buy I did find a couple of pieces of singletrack down to the A370 and Cleve Hill. No Biking signs at the star of the Star footpath.

There’s a good trail from the top of Goblin Combe crags down to the W / NW direction. Lots of mud still. And a pretty area to explore.

Taps Combe is worth a look in either direction. And Bourton obviously had a fair few options.

So, a good ride on a sunny day – never bad. And a few new trails and linking routes. I didn’t have thee energy to head up to Belmont, so called it quits after Bourton.

byeway
    Free Member

Sounds like a good day – I have sent my gpx to petefromearth as requested.

For info my route above is all legit bridleways and byeways if you push the short section after Gatcombe Mill so should be no problems

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.