Wow. Infallible logic

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wow. Infallible logic
  • On Dave channel – ‘modern wheels or classic steals’.

“I’ve saved all my student loan up and I want to buy a 20 grand car because I don’t like the London underground.”

Not sure you save up loans. Still, insurance for a first car driver in a BMW 1 series M sport in London is pretty cheap.

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

To be fair, you wouldn’t get a £20k student loan in one hit, so you would actually have to save it up…

submarined

And an M sport is just an aspirational trim level with some overly harsh suspension. It’s the M cars and 1xx Ms that are the thief’s delight.

Either way, bollocks to driving anywhere in London.

CountZero

And an M sport is just an aspirational trim level with some overly harsh suspension. It’s the M cars and 1xx Ms that are the thief’s delight.

Either way, bollocks to driving anywhere in London.

Agree to all of that. London has a superb public transport system, I couldn’t imagine using a car anywhere inside the congestion zone, electric or not. If I lived outside it, then I’d own a car for trips further afield.

nickjb

I’ve always found driving inside the congestion zone pretty good. The excellent public transport, crazy parking prices and the congestion charge keeps the traffic pretty low. Only done it a few times for work so maybe got lucky. I’d still rather use public transport, though.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

I was cut up twice on the way to work yesterday. Both times by white 1 series BM’s.

They really do seem to be the latest Womblewaggon.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

I was cut up twice on the way to work yesterday. Both times by white 1 series BM’s.

Strange, it’s normally a Prius with a TfL Licence stuck to the back window..

trumpton

I like this show although rarely do the people choose the classic. Seems a shame that a perfect classic is going to be used as a daily driver. Should be a second car imho. They would not stay in that ood condition for long as a daily. Elo who presents it used to own the London Motor Museum, before it tragically closed down. It was my favourite day out ever. He has hundreds of classic cars. I cannot image him selling many of them. Be a shame if he did.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

I like this show although rarely do the people choose the classic. Seems a shame that a perfect classic is going to be used as a daily driver. Should be a second car imho.

Why? They were built to be daily drivers at some point.

I used to use my Midget as my only car for years, just avoided driving in winter and got lifts or rode to work. Rarely ever had any mechanical problems. As soon as it became a second car things just seized up and started to fail. Stupid stuff like track rod ends would last 1000’s of miles of daily use (the rubber they use is shit, so they rarely lasts 2 years) but when I was only using it once a month that dropped to every year as the rubber just cracked and perished.

Add to that petrol drying out in the carb’s leaving them vanrished inside, condensation in distributors, batteries going flat, engine oil water and 1000 other things that happen to cars when left and it’s far better to just drive them IMO.

And adding to that….. they’re so cheap and simple to repair. Catastrophically blow an engine up in just about any brit classic and it’s a £1100 bill (and common ones like A-series more like £800) to exchange it for a freshly rebuilt one that’s probably better than it left the factory. That’s cheaper than a cam belt on some cars! You could drive an MGB with absolutely zero mechanical sympathy, and have a garage maintain it in concourse condition for less than the depreciation costs on a new MX5.

trail_rat

You could drive an MGB with absolutely zero mechanical sympathy, and have a garage maintain it

Where does your modern garage plug in the OBD reader. Its rare to find a garage that can set up carbs these days.

as someone who runs a classic relitively regularly – id dispute your statement whole heartedly.

they were built for a different time – a time when people were not afraid to open the bonnet and monitor stuff.

kerley

Why? They were built to be daily drivers at some point.

I used to use my Midget as my only car for years, just avoided driving in winter and got lifts or rode to work.

You have argued against your own point there. If it is a daily driver why you you not use it in winter?

I did however run a TR6 for 3 years and drove it pretty much everyday. The only breakdown was when the driveshaft broke.
    The only difference from a modern car was the fact it rusted a lot more easily. And controlling misted windows in winter wasn’t so great without air con.

Seems a shame that a perfect classic is going to be used as a daily driver. Should be a second car imho.

Nah…if you can’t afford to drive it, dono’t buy it…they’re no good locked up in garages. People who buy classics and don’t drive them are instrumental in killing them…the thing that kills off classic cars is lack of parts, if those who owned them drove them the parts demand would be higher and support an industry that continues to re-manufacture or produce spare parts for these cars and keep them going longer. Unfotunately they’re bought by people pretending to be enthusiasts purely as an investment looking for the next car that will appreciate in value.

A car that isn’t driven is a waste of space and metal.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.