Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Doctor question – Wound healing (gravel rash specifically) – to cover or not?
  • johnners
    Free Member

Like Drac says, make sure it’s properly clean. Last time I was in A and E with a V12ed shin the nurse spent a fair bit of time on it with a fine scrubbing brush before stitching then covering the site with what looked like a gauze pad smeared with vaseline.

I thought my wound was already clean, having rinsed it with water from my Camelbak and wiped it with a tissue I found in my pocket – the nurse’s opinion differed somewhat.

schnullelieber
    Free Member

+1 for Hydrocolloid plasters. Skinned my arm from wrist to elbow once – nice big dressing from Boots = sorted, no scars. Chicks don’t dig it mind.

coffeeking
    Free Member

While TJ is indeed correct, I always find my injuries 10x more likely to get infected if I keep them moist and generally I leave them to dry as nature intended. I’m covered in scars, but I’ve always healed cleanly that way (after a good initial clean out with salty water).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

psychle, have you come off again or is this the bit of grazing from the other day ?

Yeh, stick a hydrocolloid on. it’ll heal a little bit quicker and you’ll smell like a tramp’s arse for a few days. What’s not to like ?

NZCol

I usually give it a good scrub which always brings tears to the eyes then a nice combo of savlon or similar antiseptic cream and clingfilm. Works wonders.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m not having all this “agreeing with TJ” bollox. TJ is talking shite. He failed to ask the patient whether he was diabetic – a classic schoolboy error. Hydrocolloid dressings should never be used on deep, infected or discharging wounds on the diabetic foot or in circumstances that preclude frequent dressing changes and wound inspection. The dangers of applying such dressings in those circumstances outweigh the practical arguments for their use.

There, I think that returns a semblance of normality and sanity to the forum………but no need to thank me.

P20

From about 3.50 in, wire brush and dettol. 😆 😉 (Probably NSFW or politically correct)
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8Av6kvQfkI[/video]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oi Ernie! ~
    Away and shite laddie

richardlee
    Free Member

Here me now, believe me later.

Band Aid Brand Wound Wash
    typ URL: http://www.drugstore.com/band-aid-antiseptic-wash-hurt-free/qxp68774

you can buy at your local drugstore. Cleans the wound, kills the bacteria and best of all eases the pain. Learned about this from some mates on the pro tour. Wish I would have knew about this decades ago, would have made my life much more enjoyable.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…and best of all eases the pain

😕 what for gravel rash ? ………we MTFU on here.

What were you doing before Band Aid Brand Wound Wash……taking aspirins ? A bit of pain never hurt no one.

Any cuts or grazes I just sprinkle salt on them – it disinfects, dries the wound, and hardens the skin.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Pain is just weakness leaving the body…

theotherjonv

that may be true but after 6 crashes in the past four rides, why does it have to leave by a different exit each time……

johnners
    Free Member

Learned about this from some mates on the pro tour

lol

13thfloormonk

I thought my wound was already clean, having rinsed it with water from my Camelbak and wiped it with a tissue I found in my pocket – the nurse’s opinion differed somewhat.

😀

I know that one, my mates did a bang up job cleaning and patching a flesh wound on my leg (and picking the bits of flesh off my brake lever clamp) so it seemed a bit unfair when the nurse undid all their good work and gave it a damn good scrubbing as well…

alfabus
    Free Member

her indoors had a bit of an ‘off’ on saturday

amusingly she was messing around on a little kicker in the corner of the FoD carpark after 3 laps of the red loop… landed the jump fine, then washed out on the gravel when celebrating. I laughed, and then tended to the bloodied elbows and knees.

anyway, she has a pretty deep elbow wound, a long bit of gravel rash on her forearm and cut knee. The knee scabbed over pretty quickly, but I thought I’d try out hydrocolloid dressings on her arms.

I put the dressings on on Monday – the one on her elbow has been replaced twice since then (because it comes off due to movement), the one on her forearm is more solid and is still in place.

The packet said they shouldn’t stay on for more than 3 days, but this thread says leave it until it is all healed.

Should she change the dressing every 3 days or just leave it?

Dave

molgrips
    Free Member

she was messing around on a little kicker in the corner of the FoD carpark after 3 laps of the red loop

Never was ‘her indoors’ a less appropriate nickname 🙂

And TJ is only right because this is his actual area of expertise 🙂

alfabus
    Free Member

yeah, the term was dripping in irony… she is pretty hardcore – she rides to work come rain or shine, while I retreat to the train or my car at the slightest excuse (i am lame).

Dave

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Doctor question – Wound healing (gravel rash specifically) – to cover or not?’ is closed to new replies.