Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Wound a fat bike be suitable for the Mega ?
  • flap_jack
    Free Member

Or a Krampus ?

Not to be competitive, but to finish.

I couldn’t win, but this way I’d be interesting…

bikeneil
    Free Member

Sigh

chvck
    Free Member

Someone did on a fat bike this year I believe, with an upside downy fork.

scotroutes

And last year. I think Sandman have a video on their site somewhere?

flap_jack
    Free Member

I want to do rigid, as I’d like to do the Marmotte on the same bike (OK I’ll change the wheels). Megamotte !

Northwind

Suitable? No. Fun? Probably.

b45her
    Free Member

the beard must be down to the knees on this nichebiker.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Fun is where it’s at in my book. The race I want to win is the race to the biggest laugh. Don’t mind being last in either (or both).

andeh

When I did it last year Sandman were giving away a prize (can’t recall what) for anyone that could make the main race on one of theirs. Titanium with upside down forks, om nom nom.

[video]http://vimeo.com/47281313[/video]

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Suitable? No?
    Fun? Probably not either.
    Doable? Of course. But just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

That said, a few of the Sandman riders were pretty quick on them. I have no doubt they would be quicker, and find it easier on a normal bike.

Wozza
    Free Member

That video is great. Do it!

acehtn
    Free Member

If i had the money.
    If i had a passport.
    If i had a fat bike.

Be a giggle, i would.

allthepies
    Free Member

Do it on a Brompton.

b45her
    Free Member

there you go then OP it’s been done already so there’s no shock value for you, may as well use a suitable machine.

ahwiles
    Free Member

if you want to be ‘special’ do it on a spacehopper, wear a kilt, and tell everyone how ‘crazy’ you are.

richpips
    Free Member

I’ve wondered about doing it on a CX bike. 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

my mate took the sandman up after the main race to do the qualifier on it, sandman were looking for people to race on them (letting you take it for nothing)

If I could have had a few days to practice on it I would have been tempted. This fat bike had a 6″ fork dropper post and proper AM kit on it not one of those UK prancing things 😉

martinxyz
    Free Member

I would do it on a fat bike. They’re quick down trails with great grip which gives bags of confidence so it’s probably a type of bike I would enjoy,and feel safe on, more than some of the others that would be regarded as more suitable for this type of riding.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I would have grabbed one,Mike. I think I’ll probably end up riding a fat type bike in the future. It’ll have 26 inch wheels,tyres no bigger than 4″ and about 4 inch travel front and rear. Once this arrives in a reasonably cheap package,I’ll move onto it.

jamesoz

Going the wrong way during qualifying gives the crowd more of a laugh. Wish I’d known they were lending out bikes free, by race day my bullit had rear wheel steering and suspect brakes.

chakaping
    Free Member

You probably would have won this year, the snow section was so long.

zerocool

Probably not, but then I don’t think they’re a suitable choice for most things. Just the next new ‘hipster cool’ niche now that everyone has CX and Fixies.

What about doing it on a fat, fixed CX bike, then you’d be the first for sure.

Just a question, but what type of riding/terrain in the UK are they more suited to than other types of bike?

tazzymtb

As long as you have a modicum of riding ability a fat bike goes up seriously steep, rocky, evily off camber climbs way better than any standard full bouncey or 29er thing. They also rock on seriously tech steep slow trialsy downs…on the sort of high speed trail mincer gnarecore bmx track with the odd rock in like what I presume you ride zerocool, then they are a bit of handful and a normal rider will be quicker on a skll compensation suspension sled. Oh and fatties arw cack at xc racing and cyclo cross as well.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Do it on a balance bike…

Ps that vid is brill, and that bike is bloody lovely.

grum
    Free Member

but this way I’d be interesting…

Not really!

Do it on whatever bike you want – it will be fun anyway.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Sandman ! I’m sold. Gimme one now…

Actually perfect for what I’m thinking, 26 fatty for the mega, 700c for the marmotte.

legend
    Free Member

Hazy, from that description are you sure it’s not fatbikes that are the skill compensators?

legend
    Free Member

Hazy? **** autocorrect – Tazzy

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL @ the haters.

Do you people ever even smile?

loddrik
    Free Member

the beard must be down to the knees on this nichebiker.

Proper 😆 !!!!!

legend
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    LOL @ the haters.

Do you people ever even smile?

Unless I’m mistaken, you cant smile like a fatbiker unless you’re on a fatbike

flap_jack
    Free Member

Are beards niche ? Everyone seems to have facial hair these days.

Except me.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Wound a fat bike be suitable for the Mega ?’ is closed to new replies.