Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Would you vote conservative next month if your house had just been flooded
  • project
    Free Member

Due to con dems not dredging the rivers and ditches, bribing,offering a 5,000 quid grant to improve flood defences to all houses, telling insurance companies to pay out quicker,offering tax and rate relief to small buisness, and saying money is no object when theyve taken millions off the working classes.

And when the floods are affecting a very small number of people down south,compared to the whole population of england and wales.

damo2576
    Free Member

were they dredged up to the last election?

Pigface
    Free Member

Are you missing the fact that it has been the wettest couple of weeks in 250 years or something? Rubbish troll

ianfitz
    Free Member

Is the £5k grants available to northerners? Or just Tory constituents?

There’s enough hydro-engineers around currently all saying that dredging wouldn’t have stopped this from happening. River capacity being way smaller than the amount of water that’s sitting there.

One suggestion for most likely way to safeguard the Somerset levels is to lower the sea level to increase the distance the water has to drop. Apparently this would need a fairly large sea wall to hold back the actual sea :-/

somouk
    Free Member

Haven’t most of the non government boffins said that dredging wouldn’t have really helped on the basis of the volume of rain we’d had.

Drac

I wouldn’t vote them full stop.

hora
    Free Member

Whats the PAYE tax threshold again on the first ten grand that you earn?

Then add tax credits, etc?

So the working class are penalised?

AdamW
    Free Member

project – if you put a tub of lard up as a conservative in that area they’d get voted in.

project
    Free Member

SO 7 of us are not voting conservative then

AD

Drac +1

project
    Free Member

project – if you put a tub of lard up as a conservative in that area they’d get voted in.

at least it would be waterproof

mrmo
    Free Member

vote conservative, whats the alternative, can i be disemboweled instead!

hora
    Free Member

Im not voting Conservative until I get a Referendum on Europe. Until then they can kiss my shiny metal ass.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Predictable thread is predictable.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Predictable Tory is predictable.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Boring lame troll (1/10 if you’re curious) can’t even be arsed to get his facts right…

🙄

ninfan
    Free Member

I did think this montage from the Somerset Levels was quite interesting:

Thats not happened over just a few years!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Pointless thread: the poor flooded folk of the Somerset Levels and Thames valley would put on flippers and snorkel and swim to the polling station to vote in a goat as long as you put a blue ribbon on it.

project
    Free Member

Strange how basic physics, show that the larger the opening/pipe/vessel the more fluid that will flow down it, and as all rivers are tidal that means the tidal water goes out twice a day, allowing the flood water a speedier flow.

project
    Free Member

the poor flooded folk of the Somerset Levels and Thames valley would put on flippers and snorkel and swim to the polling station to vote in a goat as long as you a blue ribbon on it.

DOH

but would they now, thats the question being asked,based on the present cockup not the past responces to voting.

scotroutes

Dunno about physics, but basic geography says that not all rivers are tidal.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Strange how basic physics, show that the larger the opening/pipe/vessel the more fluid that will flow down it, and as all rivers are tidal that means the tidal water goes out twice a day, allowing the flood water a speedier flow.

& your point is?

julianwilson
    Free Member

DOH

but would they now, thats the question being asked,based on the present cockup not the past responces to voting.

You could interpret my answer as “they never had my vote in the first place but as for my (hypothetical, since I live in a different and equally safe Blue constituency) neighbours, then yes they still would”.

I hoped that the tone of my post up there implied that there would need to be rather a lot more disruption to the lives of a lot more people living in such safe Tory seats for enough of them to change their politics to make it a difference at polling day. Not enough people voters or interests of large industry have been affected for any government to do anything radical or expensive.

project
    Free Member

water will flow to the lowest point,which is sea level,increasing the depth and width of rivers will allow more water to flow faster and allow more capacity to flow.

CountZero

The fact that the EA stopped dredging twenty years ago, and have refused to carry it out despite requests for it ever since, and the government takes their advise on the correct course of action, I think it would be pointless.
    Project obviously doesn’t go much further than sensationalist headlines, before posting up knee-jerk threads.
    It’s worth pointing out that both heads of the EA have been Labour appointees, the current one being Chris Smith, before becoming Lord Smith:

In 1997 he was appointed to Tony Blair’s Cabinet as the first Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport. As a Minister known to have a close connection with the arts scene in Britain his time at DCMS is generally regarded as a success as many projects funded through the National Lottery came to fruition. There were controversies most notably his approval during his first week as minister of the appointment of Mary Allen to the Royal Opera House in which case a Select Committee report found that he had exceeded his authority and failed in not seeking advice from his Permanent Secretary.
    In 2000 he managed to secure a tax rebate that enabled many museums to give free admission. He held this position throughout the Labour government’s first term, but was sacked and returned to the back benches after the 2001 election, replaced by the up-and-coming Tessa Jowell. Tony Blair later hinted at his regret at losing Smith’s services, particularly his strong relationship with the arts world.[citation needed].
    Appointment to the House of Lords[edit]
    After over 20 years in Parliament, Smith stepped down from the House of Commons at the 2005 general election. It was announced on 30 April 2005 that he was to be created a life peer, and the title was gazetted on 22 June 2005 as Baron Smith of Finsbury, in the London Borough of Islington.[7]
    Retirement from politics[edit]

Smith was appointed Chair of the London Cultural Consortium (the successor body to the Cultural Strategy Group) by London Mayor Ken Livingstone, and served from 2005 to 2008.
    He was one of the founding directors of the Clore Leadership Programme, an initiative aimed at helping to train and develop new leaders of Britain’s cultural sector.[8][9] He is also currently Chairman of the Wordsworth Trust.[10] In November 2006, he was appointed as Chairman of The Advertising Standards Authority.[citation needed] Smith is a keen mountaineer and was the first MP to climb all the 3,000 ft “Munros” in Scotland;[11] in April 2004 he was elected as the Ramblers’ Association President.[12] He is a patron of London-based HIV charity, The Food Chain.[citation needed]
    On 30 January 2005, Smith revealed to the Sunday Times that he had HIV and was first diagnosed in 1987.[3] He stated that he had decided to go public following Nelson Mandela’s announcement of his son’s death from AIDS.[2]
    On 8 May 2008, he was announced as the new Chairman of the Environment Agency and took up the new role in mid July.[13] In an interview with The Independent in August that year, he said Britain faced hard choices over which coasts to defend and which to leave to the sea because it would not be possible to save all coastal homes from sea erosion.[14] Lord Smith was re-appointed as Chair of the Environment Agency for a further three years by Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman in 2011. Lord Smith, will now continue in this role until 13 July 2014. On re-appointment he received £100,813 pro rata for 2011/12, based on working three days per week.[15]
    I’d like to know exactly what expert knowledge about the environment, in particular flooding, and the defence thereof, he took to the Environment Agency.

somouk
    Free Member

water will flow to the lowest point,which is sea level,increasing the depth and width of rivers will allow more water to flow faster and allow more capacity to flow.

I think their point is that even with dredged rivers they would still not of had the capacity to cope with the volume of water flowing.

A lot of the issues have also been caused by the water table rising so increased flood defences wouldn’t help when the water is coming up through peoples floors/toilets.

martinhutch

Conservative MPs everywhere will sympathise with the people of the Somerset Levels. Some haven’t had their moats dredged since the change in expenses procedures.

aP
    Free Member

Maybe you should watch Panorama now?

CountZero

project – Member

So, in that case, the fact that the Tone and the Parrat at Burrowbridge, where they meet, are each around twenty-four feet narrower than they ought to be, thus constricting their flow by 40%, means that dredging would allow them to carry very much more water from the flooded area. That point also happens to be the furthest point inland the the river is tidal, around seventeen and a half miles, and the Severn tides wash a lot of silt back up, but dredging allows greater fresh water flow which helps stop the silt from settling. But not completely.
    The EA’s position is that dredging is damaging to certain wildlife, like some fresh-water shellfish, and thus should be stopped, which also helps their desire to return the Levels to salt-marsh, making it a wetland suitable for migrating birds.
    Ignoring the fact it’s been a place people have lived and worked for centuries, their ideology trumps people’s lives, and whichever government is in power takes that advice, because that’s what governments do.
    The fact that the advice is skewed is beside the point.
    A tidal gate at the mouth of the Parrat, to help prevent silt being washed back up has been on the agenda for years, as I understand it, but that would go against the wetland principle.
    It would only cost £4million, which the EA say they haven’t got, but that didn’t stop them spending £22 million turning the Stert Peninsula into a bird reserve, again over-riding the needs of locals.

edward2000
    Free Member

Would the OP vote labour? The party super guilty of spending other peoples money twice? Where’s Binners?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I can’t see any difference between the thre main parties no matter what the weather is doing.

footflaps

I’d like to know exactly what expert knowledge about the environment, in particular flooding, and the defence thereof, he took to the Environment Agency.

No different to any cabinet post, they have retained experts in the organisation who understand the detail. CEOs job is not to micro manage detail in any organisation.

but that didn’t stop them spending £22 million turning the Stert Peninsula into a bird reserve, again over-riding the needs of locals.

One of the reasons for this project was to reduce flooding in that area, by using the reserve as a large sponge.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

if you put a tub of lard up as a conservative in that area they’d get voted in

They did, it was called Boris

richmars

oh yes, I’ll vote labour for never ending sun shine, dry winters and frost free mornings.

jock-muttley

Personally I wouldn’t even piss on any politician from the mainstream parties if they were on fire let alone vote! What’s the point? it makes no difference, we still end up with self serving, corrupt slime. We would be better off in a semi totalitarian dictatorship .

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Lib Dems promised a dry winter, even gave a written pledge to that effect

binners

If the Tories hadn’t legalised gay marriage then none of this would have happened on the first place 😉

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

project – Member

water will flow to the lowest point,which is sea level,increasing the depth and width of rivers willll allow more water to flow faster and allow more capacity to flow.
    This weekend, I was in Oban – coastal town. There were sandbags along the harbour and at shop doorways fronting on to the harbour. Are you suggesting that the Atlantic should be dredged?

kimbers

those posh henley folk would probably have voted for this guy, now they definitely will

theyre just waiting for their man borris to replace dave anyway

pictonroad

project – Member
    POSTED 11 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Most of the flooded land is below sea level, precipitation falling here has to be pumped up before it can go back down again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Would you vote conservative next month if your house had just been flooded’ is closed to new replies.