Would you use a cheap and possibly crap tent?

Home Forum Chat Forum Would you use a cheap and possibly crap tent?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Would you use a cheap and possibly crap tent?
  • IHN

How long are you going to be camping for and how near to pub/shop/food places etc?

If it’s a couple of nights, and all you’re going to be doing is sleeping in it, cheap is fine. People manage at festivals up and down the country all summer with cheap pop-up tents

5thElefant

Stretch to 45 quid and get a popup tent. Takes all the pratting about with tents nonsense you get with normal tents.

jekkyl

tesco double skinned one will do fine for a few nights, they’re like 15 quid usually, blow up single mattress a fiver and take an old single duvet. Probably more comfy than your bed. You’ll be drunk or otherwise intoxicated anyway 😉

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Aldi have some pop up tents in for £20 at the mo, plus inflatable mattresses.

Take your own pillow, borrow a sleeping bag and Bob’s your mother’s brother.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

That Vango tent would be a good choice too.

For a one off i’d be hiring a camper van for the weekend and getting a decent nights sleep rather than buying camping gear that you’ll never use again.

Hob Nob

I paid money for a sh*t Go Outdoors tent for a race I did up in Grizedale, probably 2 years ago now. I think it was about £15 or £20.

It was so sh*t, it started leaking within about 30 minutes of the rain starting. I put it in a bin rather than bringing it home.

But then I find camping generally rubbish, even if I had a palace of a tent.

I will only stay in a B&B/Hotel instead now.

Dickyboy

and take an old single duvet

I shared a tent with a guy at the TT who told me he’d only brought a duvet – I fell asleep thinking that I couldn’t remember him having any bulky kit on the back of his bike and woke in the morning to find him shivering – poor lad had only brought a duvet cover 😆

P-Jay

How long are you going to be camping for and how near to pub/shop/food places etc?

Probably arrive Friday, leave Monday morning.

Location unknown, I don’t really know the lay of the land so I’m assuming I’ll have to carry in and out everything I need – I’ve got moosive rucksack from my backpacking days, a mate found it in his attic a few months ago – I’ll get everything I need in that.

Premier Icon trailwagger
    Subscriber

Would you use a cheap and possibly crap tent?

No, not if any rain is forecast.

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

I have a cheap Eurohike tent I bought for festival use about 20 years ago. It’s still waterproof and has survived a fair few storms over the years. I say go for it.

Premier Icon The Pinkster
    Subscriber

If you’re going with a group can’t you share one of their tents?

Less to carry between you all as well.

gordimhor

It’s Fort William buy a tent that you stand a chance of staying dry in is hydrostatic head of 2000mm (preferably more) . You should be able to get one for less than £50
    Lying in a wet tent is no fun. The Vango above is good

retro83

I toured round France and camped in this beast (person supposed to be lending us a decent tent let us down last minute)

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/9275647

It withstood some pretty extreme summer storms no problem. It was (very) warm weather though, so I don’t know how well it keeps out drafts etc.

Weirdly in the reviews there are loads of people moaning about it leaking, but maybe they didn’t put it up properly. £15 though, barg. 😀

P-Jay

The Pinkster – Member

If you’re going with a group can’t you share one of their tents?

Less to carry between you all as well.

Yeah… but… nah…

Honestly I’d be going with a someone I’ve been as thick a thieves with for about 35 years, but I like my own privacy, well as much as a tent allows anyway.

P-Jay

gordimhor – Member

It’s Fort William buy a tent that you stand a chance of staying dry in is hydrostatic head of 2000mm (preferably more) . You should be able to get one for less than £50
    Lying in a wet tent is no fun.

Nope, it’s shit and I’ve done it too many times – 10-15 years ago anyway.

I’ll google hydrostatic head and work from there, thanks for the info.

if its next june, wait till september/october time and prices will be far lower, for £40 you should be able to get a semi decent tent for your needs.

not even half a night in many B&Bs these days.

the eurohike (blacks) tents always used to be decent theirs a £35 one with 20 5* reviews.

ps. if your mates love camping they will surely have numerous tents,
    tents are the same equation as bikes n+1

P-Jay

It may not be a one-off, I could get into camping, I like the idea of it, but for years and years when we (mates and I) were younger it was usually a case of camping or not going, Race Weekends, Festivals and weekends in the Gower. Camping because you have to, rather than because you want to put me off.

P-Jay

whatyadoinsucka – Member

if its next june, wait till september/october time and prices will be far lower, for £40 you should be able to get a semi decent tent for your needs.

not even half a night in many B&Bs these days

Word, I shall wait for the Winter of Discount Tents.

haha i was going to use that but being on hukd, its a bit lame..
    it popsup for every tent deal

stumpy_m4

Sports direct are doing Gelert tents at the minute , get urself a track 2 , less than £40 …. used one for bikepacking before , plenty of space

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

TBH if you’re planning this far ahead you could probably bag a B&B in FW.

Gunz

That Vango looks good. I wouldn’t go within a million miles of a pop up tent unless you’re happy spending about an hour trying to get it to pop down into the bag again.

P-Jay

chakaping – Member

TBH if you’re planning this far ahead you could probably bag a B&B in FW.

Yeah, because my unstable mind is going to let me do that! I’ll starting thinking about it now because that’s the fun bit, the actual doing bit will be stressful and annoying so I’ll probably be roaming Ft. William looking for spare Manger space on the Friday.

I’d love to, but my Mates will be camping and I want to join in on the whole thing.

And this is of course based on the idea that the days will be 25c with clean blue skies, magically free of midges and the evening will be sitting around the fire enjoying the wonder of the universe because of the lack of cloud.

If, which is more likely, it’s starts pissing down I’ll sulk off to my car and drive for an hour to the nearest Premier Inn (we’ve got a corp account) that has a room to live like a human being.

Premier Icon angeldust
    Subscriber

That Vango looks good. I wouldn’t go within a million miles of a pop up tent unless you’re happy spending about an hour trying to get it to pop down into the bag again.

60 second job when you know what you are doing.

That Vango tent would be a good choice too.

Never used a Vango tent but have had a sleeping bag and rucksack, both very good for the money.

thomthumb

size is critical to comfort imo. too big and it’s an arse to carry /put up too small is just horrible (i have a tiny tent and it;s good for cycle touring etc but you can barely get your pants on in it!

3 man tent 1200 tall is a good size imo.

have a practice at gettign it up. makes it much easier.

P-Jay

I’m thinking of going up to Ft. William next year for the WC.

I “don’t do” camping, I gave it up just as soon as I didn’t have to do it anymore and frankly I get to go away so rarely these days it’s not hard to find the money for a Premier Inn or something.

I’m told hotels are hard to find and expensive for the event and my mates camp and I want to be part of all of that so it looks like I’m camping too.

Starting from nothing so I’ll need a tent, a sleeping bag, a pillow of some kind and probably a million other things that I’ll likely use once so I don’t want to go mad.

Would you risk a £30 Argos tent, or do I really have to spend 10x as much on something decent?

Could you not borrow (or rent) a half decent tent from anybody?

I’ve done loads of camping in cheap double-skin tents and they’ve been fine for UK camping in the Summer.

We’ve got a bell tent as well, and that’s a lot more warmer, quieter and stable in strong winds, but the cheap ones are fine too.

squirrelking

Hydrostatic head?

I have two tents, one is a cheap POS that has seen too many festivals and has numerous holes (usually rot) patched with duck tape.

The other is a huge 6 man thing that takes two camping beds, a roofbox and a DH bike (or two). It did a few seasons of SDA’s no bother.

Both were cheap, both are heavy, nasty buggers and neither has any such rating. The trick is to put them up properly in the first place, as long as the skins don’t touch you’ll be dry. I found that out the hard way when I woke up in a stream at Leeds in 2000 (‘mon Jimmy Hill!).

edlong

If you’re unsure whether you’ll enjoy camping, going with a £30 tent from Argos should settle the debate quite quickly if there’s even the slightest hint of weather.

As others have suggested, you don’t have to push the price point very far before you get something that will give you a fighting chance of a decent night’s sleep. Add my vote the many suggesting the Vango as being worth a look at that price..

CountZero

I bought a Eurohike three-person tent from Millets five years ago for £75, for a small weekend pub festival, on the basis it might get used occasionally in the future.
    So far it’s been used at the IoW Festival, Greenman Festival, and nine days camping in South Devon two years ago, and will be used again at Greenman this year and camping down in Devon.
    Personally, I consider that £75 to be money very well spent.

Premier Icon angeldust
    Subscriber

Hydrostatic head?

Anything labelled as ‘waterproof’ should have this measurement.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Subscriber

Hire a van. Sleep in van.

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Hard to beat

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-easy-ii-pop-up-tent-2-man-blue-id_8347885.html

Up and down in seconds. I have 2 of them of differing sizes

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

Just make sure that nothing is touching the walls of the tent, this is how the water soaks through. If you are using a blow up mattress take one of those cheap picnic blankets and put that under the mattress otherwise you get a cold bridge from the ground through the cheap tent floor and to the mattress

redmex

I tried camping in Skye a couple of Augusts ago at the scenic starts with an S site looking up to the Coolins but the rain for 18 hrs was relentless, waterfalls everywhere, anyway the tent was a crap 2 man tent.My lady friend and myself are just average build in fact she is slender but i had to reverse like an arcticulated lorry to get in. No room at all to turn.
    So spend a wee bit more i would say and allow for West Highland rain

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

If you’re unsure whether you’ll enjoy camping, going with a £30 tent from Argos should settle the debate quite quickly if there’s even the slightest hint of weather.

This.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.