Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • would you take this back to the shop??
  • doctornickriviera
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced my Giro E2 with a met Kaos as the giro was 3 years old and due to degradation etc of the polystyrene etc. However on getting home the label on the inside of the met states it was manufactured in Nov 2007- so nearly 3 years old itself. Also it was the display model as it was the only one they had in my size so it was not a boxed model.

To be honest i’m probably going to ask for an exchange on saturday as i don’t want to take chances with safety kit. Is this unreasonable- bike shop owners welcome to respond?

RealMan
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced my Giro E2 with a met Kaos as the giro was 3 years old and due to degradation etc of the polystyrene etc.

“This helmets a bit old, can I have a different one the same age please..”

Take it back 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

The argument would be that it’s use and UV that ages lids, however, I’d not be best pleased paying full price for something that had been kicking around that long. I’d ask it to be swapped for a boxed on. Pick a different colour to make sure it is. This is where online shopping wins. You have more rights and could send it back during to cooling off period. Bought from a shop, you might be stuck with it unless you can prove it’s not fit for purpose or not as described. Ask nicely and appeal to their good will for best results.

plecostomus
    Free Member

But is it still the current model! ( the helmet) even though it states it was made in 07? I was working on a bike yesterday that has elixirs that had the month of June and 09 stamped on the inside of the caliper shirley the date of manufacture wouldn’t be of relevance but then again it’s a helmet and is quite important ,being a display one tried on by many and probably dropped too I’d take it back.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Helmets degrade with time ( slowly) and with UV exposure ( less slowly)

Dunno by how much but i would have thought 3 years out of its biox is a significant proportion of its lifespan and you don’t know how wells its been treated.

significant discount at least I would say

ziggy
    Free Member

I’m not really sure what the problem is here, you bought a helmet, which I presume you were happy with at point of purchase. Now you’re not happy because it was made 3 years ago, but it’s still new with a warranty.

I regulary see bike products up to 2 years old fitted to the latest model of bike. Saying that the oldest helmets we have in stock are late ’09. Have you unwittingly been sold the display model? We used to have Giro helmets that are for display only, not for use as a helmet.

spooky_b329

Deffo take it back, I’ve heard of other shops refusing to sell display helmets as they have been in sunlight too long.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I owuld take it back but wouldlive with it if it was anything other than a helmet.I think if you explain they will be OK. I doubt they want the negative publicity of selling a 3 year old helmet if you kcik up a fuss.
    Call trading standards first to see what their view is to decide how forceful/beggy you need to be.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

not interested in discount -rather pay full price than use something old and potentially with a limited lifespan and compromised safety. I’m going to take it back- explain why i’m not satisfied and ask for a replacement/refund. If they say no then i’ll kick off, but i’ll ask nicely first!

I’d have no issue with other components/clothing it’s just the degredation of the helmet over time issue!

Northwind

ziggy – Member

“I regulary see bike products up to 2 years old fitted to the latest model of bike.”

Most bike parts don’t go off with age.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘would you take this back to the shop??’ is closed to new replies.