Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Would you risk it?
  • Rockhopper
    Free Member

Has your driving licence got the correct address on it?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yep, and the DVLA has a record of all my MOTs against the vehicle.

johnners
    Free Member

There is a clause at the very end of our insurance doc saying something like “failure to tax / mot the vehicle does not invalidate our obligation to provide 3rd party insurance”. I believe all ins cos have to do this.

So you’re not committing an offence but won’t necessarily be covered for personal loss. Like, of your car for example? I’m not sure I’d be comfortable with that on a 3 year old motor.

tdog
    Free Member

Take this in a constructive criticism type way. But you really do not sound to me like you should be on the road as any sensible road user would agree.

doris5000

you really do not sound to me like you should be on the road as any sensible road user would agree.

sounds a bit harsh to me. but maybe that’s because it sounds like the kind of thing i would do

twonks

What happens to all the potential backlog of ‘no address found’ offences that the ANPR system thinks it’s found – when you do manage to get the address sorted out?

Is your post box going to be full?

I personally wouldn’t drive it, especially into another country on holiday. Tempting fate.

fossy

Don’t risk it !

twonks

Too late to edit the above.

What happens if you get followed by a Police car?
    They generally all have ANPR cameras now so will pull you when it comes back with no address.

I’d not expect them to be lenient either, as the crime is blatant – irrespective of circumstances.

avdave2

Set fire to it on your drive and then get a hire car based on your insurance policy*.

Always check over your shoulder when doing this. Many years ago dad was called out to a car on fire at Haywards Heath railway station car park. As they arrived to put it out there was a policeman standing nearby with a gentleman he’d just arrested. The man in question had parked up got out of his car and without looking around him set fire to his own car. The policeman had watched the whole episode and waited for it to go up in flames before introducing himself to the motorist. 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hmmm… I do have matches.

The ANPR can’t be that effective. My cars MOT record on the DVLA suggests it’s done 18,000 miles without being detected so far.

willard

ANPR is as effective as checking a database and running a set of scripts. It’s the sort of thing that just about any business with a website does these day. I would suggest that ‘being caught’ is likely to be a matter of time due to the way that most government systems seem to interoperate.

joeegg
    Free Member

I assume if you confess up to the DVLA that you’ve been the owner for the last 3 years,and not taxed it for 2,then they’ll fine you for not taxing it or putting it on sorn.

iainc

have you actually called the DVLA and spoken to them ? I had an issue around selling my late father’s car earlier this year and there was no way online of doing what was required. I called them and it was sorted in minutes.

onehundredthidiot

How are you going to sell it without all the info?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve already confessed to the DVLA and spoken to them a couple of times since I’ve realised.

The circle goes around and around as they won’t tax it without me having the V5, they need a postcode to send a V5 to and they can’t update a postcode without a V62 which takes them 2 to 6 weeks to process.

The penalty I face I can’t yet be sure of. It’s £80 if you’re detected by ANPR (plus tax), reducing to £40 for prompt payment and a maximum of £1000 if it goes to court.

The penalty for driving in France without proof of ownership is 130 euros, reducing to 80 for prompt payment.

Maybe naively but because it’s system generated and if I’ve not been detected by ANPR I’ll just get my first reminder notice and pay for my tax, which would be ridiculous.

In case it’s unclear, I have sent the V62 and have tried to pay for the tax. But they will not accept my money until they’ve looked at the v62 for 6 weeks.

kilo

But the website says you can tax at a post office with a v62 on its own- apologies just seen your previous re po

DrP

3 years of driving an untaxed car? Well, I must say this ANPR thing isn’t all it’s cracked up to be…

Someone I know…definitely not me, nope… had their (at the time) wife get caught speeding in May, with a fine sent through etc etc..photos of the car etc etc..
    ..the insurance accidentally got cancelled in March of that year, and wasn’t renewed until August… eek..

So a photo, of an uninsured car, yet no action taken… daft..

DrP

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Well as I’m sure you’ve all been very worried I’ve had an entirely uneventful drive to the Alps and back and now just await whatever punishment the DVLA will dole out.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Why don’t you buy an similar make/model/colour car on ebay, get that taxed and insured etc in your name, swap the numberplates onto your existing car, drive your existing car to the alps, then when you get back, swap everything back, cancel tax and insurance and sell the car you bought.

It’s a no brainer

edit – i see i’m a week late with this plan

DezB
    Free Member

Hope you enjoyed your trip and the danger made it that much more exciting 😀

perchypanther
    Free Member

the danger made it that much more exciting

Thin end of the wedge innit.

There can only be escalation  from here

One day you’re driving without VED, next thing you know you need more of that sweet, sweet danger and you’re getting arrested*for having a tug in the produce aisle of Sainsbury’s**.

*I’d imagine

**Other food retailers are available

Edukator
    Free Member

Id have a good think about how much of a royal pita it would be if you were stopped by french police for some minor misdeameanor and this coming to light.

The Gendarmes won’t even notice and if they do they won’t be interested. They’ll want to see the log book, insurance, the eco-pastille if you’re in town on a polluted day, the MOT and your driving licence.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sainsburys? No matter how far down this thrill seeking route I go I’ll not risk my reputation of being seen shopping any where other than Waitrose.

What sort of a Yeti do you think I am?

Jeez.

outofbreath
    Free Member

AFAIK VED is just a revenue thing, it’s not even endorsable in the UK. (It can also be bought up to one month retrospectively – If I buy tax today, it starts on the 1st!)

Of all the documents to be without tax is the least problematic AFAIC.

Also how is a French Rozzer going to work out if you’ve paid UK tax, and why would they care? How much budget to France want to put into helping to collect UK tax? Do they have access to the DVLA database?

The third party aspect of your motor insurance policy is sacrosanct, tax has no bearing on that. (Personally I doubt it would invalidate your fire, theft etc but who knows.)

So I’d be a tentative ‘yes’, tax is the one thing I don’t worry about to much. (Although that’s hypothetical since I always stay 100pc legal in terms of docs.)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Extraordinary story bro.

Flaperon

Or being stopped by a gb traffic car because you’ve triggered the anpr camera onboard it.

This does require there to be a traffic car actually on the road to catch you in the first place, which is pretty unlikely on the motorway. I doubt stopping someone on a motorway for no vehicle tax would fail a risk assessment anyway.

Flaperon

doubt stopping someone on a motorway for no vehicle tax would fail a risk assessment anyway.

Oops. Should be pass a risk assessment, not fail.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Would you risk it?’ is closed to new replies.