Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Would you rather the clocks didn't change tonight?
  • crikey
    Free Member

Be thankful you aren’t working the night shift. Watching the radio controlled wonder clocks get to 1 am then go back an hour, while you realise that you’re not being paid anything extra is somewhat character building.

Every now and then you get to experience the opposite situation, but it never really works to lift the spirits in the same way.

chiefgrooveguru

Our eight month old has just started getting up at 5:30. I’m dreading tomorrow morning!

Keep her away from our little lunatic! She’s the same age but currently (and correctly) believes that one should wake up between the very sensible hours of 7.30 and 8am. Not sure we could cope with the hyperactive little madam if she became an early riser!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

im going to try and just ignore it and try and live an hour earlier. I’m on flexi time and ride to work. I probably won’t last a week but I will try.

You’ll be fine. Just remember that when you arrange to meet someone at a certain time to add “BST” or “GMT+1”, that way you’ll avoid any confusion.

smudge
    Free Member

ok, might be a bit off topic, but can totally relate to this… but at the same time as changing your clocks check your smoke alarms at the same time, it only takes a few seconds… a few weeks from today will be a year to the day my parents had a house fire that started in the garage… the smoke alarm gave them enough time to get out of the house – mum was bed bound and call 999… you take things so much for granted, but a smoke alarm can and was a life saver.. so just check it at the same time..

samuri
    Free Member

Clocks change in Spain tonight, too. You’ll need to find a better reason.

Are they going to start driving on the left?

Legally.

takisawa2

Work wise…I like it.
    It makes it difficult for my Chinese colleagues to drag me into conference calls. 🙂

Personally, I think it’s shite. I always get depressed until 21st December when I know the days are stretching out again. (Well, a little bit at a time).

gordimhor

I think it’s necessary ….means the kid’s here can go to school in the day light. Personally don’t like getting upin dark but am used to it. I look forward to winter bike rides and hillwalks.

scaredypants

meh – I end up going to and leaving work in the dark so makes no odds really.

I do like the sudden light nights when we go to BST again though, so I’m in 😀

zippykona

And make it double summer time too.
    Not much point being light at 4 in the morning but light at 11 in the evening would be great.

mikertroid
    Free Member

There is only one time zone: UTC (Z). There is never any confusion if you keep things in Z time!

athgray
    Free Member

I start work in Wick next week, through the Winter. Goodbye Sun, hello oily fish!

Kunstler

Breathe in, grit your teeth, make the best and look ahead. I don’t like the winter darkness but I’ll dream, make plans and go mental with all the possibilities when I feel the high summer swinging round again.

chewkw
    Free Member

A bit of a pain but that’s how things work …

cloudnine
    Free Member

A bit of a pain but that’s how things work …

Heaven forbid we change something.. I know some people don’t like changing tradition but how about a bit of forward thinking on the best use of daylight. why not have gmt for december and January, bst for a few months and bst+1 for 4 months. Why such opposition to changing it or even just trying it one year?

MSP

There is only one time zone: UTC (Z). There is never any confusion if you keep things in Z time!

What about HAMMERTIME?

yunki
    Free Member

I love it..

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

No one told my boys (2.5/1) about this, so they got me up just before 6am this morning. However since the youngest has only just started sleeping through in the last 3 days I can’t complain too much as it is better than 2 – 3am.

For me – means that I will have to work harder to sneak in an after work ride, though it is still possible on the quieter days. Plus side is I invariably end work earlier since I start running out of daylight pretty soon!

zippykona

MSP ..Sir, I salute you.

theotherjonv

Never mind kids, try explaining bst/GMT to a puppy that wakes up in response to her own demands.

This extra hour in bed’s crap too anyway. OK, you can get up an hour later this morning, but then you have to stay up an hour later this evening or you miss the good telly. So you extra hour lasts, what, about 15 hours before they get it back out of the sleepy bank.

Plus we won’t sleep tonight anyway, with stormageddon flattening our houses in the night, we’ll be up all night baling out and fixing.

bruneep

smudge – Member
    ok, might be a bit off topic, but can totally relate to this… but at the same time as changing your clocks check your smoke alarms at the same time, it only takes a few seconds… a few weeks from today will be a year to the day my parents had a house fire that started in the garage… the smoke alarm gave them enough time to get out of the house – mum was bed bound and call 999… you take things so much for granted, but a smoke alarm can and was a life saver.. so just check it at the same time..

Best bit of advice^

If you don’t have a smoke alarm contact your local service and you will get one free of charge.

rureadyboots
    Free Member

They should put the clocks back an hour every night. Think how much more productive everyone would be with an extra hours sleep.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Heaven forbid we change something.. I know some people don’t like changing tradition but how about a bit of forward thinking on the best use of daylight. why not have gmt for december and January, bst for a few months and bst+1 for 4 months. Why such opposition to changing it or even just trying it one year?

Cloudnine is not on cloudnine with that suggestion. Great idea!

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Would you rather the clocks didn't change tonight?’ is closed to new replies.