Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • would you rather live in derby or nottingham?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

lol adamL you dont have an email add in your profile! email me if you get this

dr_adams
    Free Member

Hi,
    sorry to tag on, but am someone who is considering applying for GEM in the next year or two, any chance i might be able to ask some advice?
    Regards
    Tony

fontmoss
    Free Member

but, but you’re already a doctor!

feel free to mail me, add in profile

johnhoo
    Free Member

sounds a bit like comparing Leeds & Bradford.

Bradford is cheaper, has better curries, and is slightly nearer the Dales/Pennines

Leeds for shopping & nightlife (allegedly)

dr_death
    Free Member

Dr_Adams – if that was aimed partly at me then feel free

fontmoss
    Free Member

by the sounds of your post id assumed you were a undergrad medic dr death? emailed you anyway.

dr adams, if its any use i applied to newcastle, southampton and st georges. all grad programmes. did interviews at all except south. (who dont interview) and sat gamsat to get an interview for nott and st g. if thats any help, drop me a line.

MoreCashThanDash

You could do what we did and get in the middle – some nice villages around Ilkeston.

Commuting from Nottingham to Derby will be a pain, btw – the medical school is the opposite side of Derby to Nottingham. Are you going to spend more of your time studying or clubbing? Better to commute a long way every day to study, or commute once a week to go out on the razz?

And the riding from your doorstep is better in Derby.

jimmy

Re:

I thnk Notthingham might have a high gun crime rate,

I heard it was all run by one gang, who they caught the leader of and now its dried up. This from a mate who’s originally from there. I should really ask a different mate who’s in the Nottingham fuzz.

fontmoss
    Free Member

yeah looks like derby is going to win out on logistics alone. more local riding is a definite bonus plus we just had a look at flat rent prices, wayyyy! much cheaper than madrid 🙂

no car (at the mo) so maybe in time a village option may present itself but at least for the 18 months ill be in derby i think we´ll live there. going to go for a trip in may to have a look.

med school is attached to new city hospital if anyone has area recommendations

fontmoss
    Free Member

the gun crime issue isnt really a deciding factor, lived in glasgow for years and while stab city has its interesting areas we´d go back in a heartbeat.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I thnk Nottingham might have a high gun crime rate,

Or it could be that the London-centric media jumped on a few shootings that happened in a small period of time and used their magical powers in an attempt to fool the guliable into thinking somewhere outside of the festering anal sore that is London is just as bad in order to divert negative attention away from said anal sore (said by an ex-Londoner)?

The ‘Shottingham’ tag is massively over-played. As I said before, I live a sort walk from one of the ‘dodgy’ areas of Nottingham yet my car and home contents insurance fell dramatically after moving up here from a leafy rural village in Hampshire.

Someone already touched on the main driver behind the bad press (the Gunn family), more specifically Colin Gunn who ordered the parents of an informant to be killed outside their home, miles away in Lincolnshire (at Trusthorpe near Mablethorpe, oddly not also considered a terrifyingly violent place even with a double killing in the area). Colin Gunn is in prison and the rest just keep their heads down.

dr_death
    Free Member

Fontmoss – 4th year….. A&E Registrar!

I can still (just about) remember med-school though!

dr_death
    Free Member

RE:

‘I think Nottingham has a high rate of gun crime’

Gun crime leads to some interesting learning experiences… well that’s how I’d look at it!

ebygomm
    Free Member

The way the city boundaries are drawn often makes Nottingham seem a lot worse than it is. A lot of the areas people think of as Nottingham aren’t included in some stats at all.

joemarshall
    Free Member

yeah looks like derby is going to win out on logistics alone. more local riding is a definite bonus plus we just had a look at flat rent prices, wayyyy! much cheaper than madrid [:)]

I wouldn’t rent a flat unless you really love apartments for their own sake – if it’s anything like Nottingham, 2 or 3 bed houses just a bit outside the centre are cheaper than flats in the centre, and buses / biking / walking into town is easy enough. Plus a lot of the modern flats are in ghost-town type blocks with only a few people living in them, the rest being failed buy to lets.

Joe

fontmoss
    Free Member

ok thats good to know joe, only stayed in flats since ive left home (well and a monastery) and dont mind pedalling into town. def need a proper recce of the place. any ideas which areas to start looking?

fontmoss
    Free Member

well thats indeed where i ended up 🙂

squin
    Free Member

If your course is in Derby, then live in Derby – assuming that all the other students on the course live in the same area. Nottingham is a better place but you want to live amongst your colleagues.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection batman!

fontmoss
    Free Member

cheers squin, i moved here about 6 months ago 🙂

i know eck, it's bloody madness-you'd never get this in madriz

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I'll speak to my wife this evening. She decided not to do medicine at Nottingham because of the ball ache Nott/Derby thing.

Forget which is the best place to get p!ssed in, although medics do get hammered they tend to spend alot of time studying or working, and I'd want to be nearer where I work.

Having said that your shafted anyhow from now on you will be posted to the most inconveniant place to where you live!

Can you get in touch with any existing students they will give you a much better idea of where is best to live.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Perhaps I should clarify:

I am on the Nottingham med course and I live in Derby

This thread was resurrected by someone else but I appreciate the replies, ta muchly 🙂

And doing the Nottingham course isn't anymore of a ballache than other places really, def not as much as say London. We're in Derby for first 18 months then based in Nottingham for clinical work but as you mention Dunc placements means it doesn't always matter where you live.

If anyone Derby/Nottingham/around here based fancies a pedal let me know, end of my 'holidays' now but finish 1st year at end of June.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘would you rather live in derby or nottingham?’ is closed to new replies.