Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Would you pay some kind of VED / Tax to use your bike
  • tonyd

You also pay tax on your insurance… Yes thanks for that!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Then other people would moan that we don’t pay enough.

So we pay the same as cars?

I do think we should have 3rd party insurance as a minimum though.

cookeaa

Then other people would moan that we don’t pay enough.

So we pay the same as cars?

I do think we should have 3rd party insurance as a minimum though.

Like I said, relative to their impact, bicycles probably already contribute more through general taxation than cars do.

I’m actually not in favour of compulsory cycling insurance, 3rd party or otherwise. compulsion would serve as another deterrent to potential new cyclists, and contributes to the idea that cycling is dangerous, I think government backed promotion of cycling should include encouragement for people to join BC or CTC as a means of getting them informed, trained, educated and insured.

But the dangers posed by uninsured cyclists are nothing like those presented by uninsured drivers, The police can’t keep on top of those, how would they go about checking cyclists insurance?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IanW
    Free Member

Compulsory cycle insurance would cost more to administer than could ever practically be charged.

IanW
    Free Member

Actually I would tax people who wear poorly fitting helmets, Hi Viz vests and grimace with effort when cycling to work.

They give cycling a bad image and should be taxed of the earth.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Yes, as long as its based on emissions. I’d gladly display a tax disk if it made folk take a bit more care on the roads.

Or even better, it would be good if Gideon came out and said, “we could get cyclists to display tax disks, but they would need to be charged a zero rate as some cars are. We have chosen not to go down this route as it would cost a fortune and raise nothing.”

Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Would you pay some kind of VED / Tax to use your bike’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts