Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Would you pay £750 for one of these
  • stonemonkey
    Free Member

Frame only of course, or should i buy a cotic/orange/onone like everybody else???????????????????????????

taka
    Free Member

yeh get an on-one £125 not a daft £750 you could buildan on-one for that 😉

CountZero

Can't quite make out what it is, but it really doesn't look like £750 worth to me, unless, of course it's a custom-made frame. Otherwise buy an On-One Summer Season, spray it black and stick the same kit on, you'll find it hard to tell the difference, and you'll have saved enough to buy the forks. You know it makes sense.

trail_rat
    Free Member

spooky horror taxi innit ….I like.

built by hand in good ol us of a

Frank the welder used to do some really nice stuff But new owner and new welders since frank did his own thing FTW frames ….

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Its the spooky horror taxi 3.75 kg of True temper OX platinum, 650b , i liked it as soon as i saw it but its a lot of money it is going to cost £650 not £750 as stated, meant to sell for about £800

rolfharris
    Free Member

I've ridden "cheap" steel frames in the past- on one etc and none really set the world on fire compared to my Evil Sovereign which was £850 over here (I bought it for £450 from the states when exchange rates were good). You spend more, and there's loads of little details you just can't help liking, even if only you know it's there. That and the ride is perfect. No niggles at all. The stays are completly wonderful, the paintjob is brilliant and I love things like the shaped headtube.

If you've got the money and you want the bike, buy it and you won't regret it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i wasnt sold on the whole 650b thing …. I wanted 29er……ended up just buying a conventional plastic race bike for this year !

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Yeah its mickey dennacourt now the frame is still hand built in the usa by NFG cycles suppose its sort of semi custom. love the chromag dropouts , lack of brake brace on the seat stays and chainstays and the 650b sounds like what am after in terms of covering distance. \but its still a lot of money, i had one of the early metalheads but this is a different beast

EDIT yeah this will be brought over by a mate from the states , exchange rates not great at the mo though. I have the money its just weather i want to spend it, got to build it up with top parts thats another £1000 at least

rolfharris
    Free Member

Terry- good. 29ers are for gays and fashionistas who don't ride anything exciting. Like our own Tom Marvin.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my rig does exciting things. a superfly would have been my dream race bike 😀

rolfharris
    Free Member

I had a play on a superfly at GT. Impressions were- very fast uphill, ponderous on the dhs and off the big drop on the freeride park and so not really a lot of fun.

vinnyeh

I'm tempted again to get one of these- originally put off by the shop on the IoW saying they wanted a grand for the frames, but I've just had an email from Spooky saying that they're building a batch for September delivery, and with the more realistic price am coming round to the idea it might be a good thing..

I think Benji Haworth has just got one of these – I'll be interested to hear his opinion

kongman28
    Free Member

Give Russ a call at Wight Mountain. He's loved his.

singlespeedstu

Ask yourself these three simple questions.

1. Do you like it?

2. Can you afford it?

3. Do you realy give a rat's ass what folks on a geeky bike site think?

brant
    Free Member

I think Benji Haworth has just got one of these – I'll be interested to hear his opinion

The looks like the one Benji showed me last Friday at the office. I *think* he's taken it to Norway for a trip he's on this week, but I might be wrong.

Going to try a set of 650B's in a Ragley – they fit fine apparently.

nuke

Nice looking bike but I'd rather have a Curtis for similar money

brant
    Free Member

Nice looking bike but I'd rather have a Curtis for similar money

Other bikes are available.

Kramer
    Free Member

I want one just for the name.

jimmy

whats 650b?

I actually thought it was a ragley at first, hopefully they're not £750 tho…

brant
    Free Member

650B is the niche wheelsize that sits between 26in and 29in.

jimmy

jesus christ

ahwiles
    Free Member

hang on, are we taking the p166?

is there really a '650b' wheel size for mountain bikes?

what's that then? about 27"?
    wtf? ffs, ypdm.

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

don't know why, but i'm strangely drawn to this Spooky

PLUGGER
    Free Member

Get the Spooky. Cult bikes. Cool as f***. On-Ones, as good value as they are, are common as dog sh*t and are for tight-wads 😉
    My brother has still got a Spooky Bandwagon jump bike, still looks the nuts today.

Only other option would be a Curtis…mmmm..proper hand made stuff, strong as they get and again, cool as F***, especially my son's 12" wheel curtis trailboss jnr!

alpin
    Free Member

aslongasithaswheels – Member
    don't know why, but i'm strangely drawn to this Spooky

Posted 4 hours ago # Report-Post

because you're gay? 😉

i was looking for a new shock and came across this on Ebay for 799€. no the first bike but the second. i reckon it'd be worth buying just the bike and selling off the parts individually.

http://cgi.ebay.de/RAM-EDELSCHMIEDE-ALLMOUNTAIN-ROCKSHOX-MONARCH-4-2-17_W0QQitemZ180379007809QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSport_Radsport_Fahrradteile?hash=item29ff6d3b41&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1229%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

compositepro
    Free Member

im sure the two at 18bikes even had the rims and tyres in stock or they were doing something with em

kirk pacenti..the guy whos pushing 650b really hard and makes a lot of the stuff or at least designs a lot of the stuff…has a website over at bikelugs.com

in fact now someone has mentioned it i think theres a pair of velocity 650 rims somewhere in the frameshop

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Still cant decide its looking closer to £650 for the spooky with no option of riding it before hand , maybe a singular hummingbird , a soul anymore one got anymore ideas or advice

vinnyeh

shouldn't be that much. I make it around £580, plus any sales tax- not sure if there is any. Have you spoken to them- if the frames they have in stock (and I'm not sure if they have any- they offered me one for September delivery today) haven't been powdercoated yet time might be too tight for you.

Else pay the extra 20% for vat etc and get one in September.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

frame is 580 plus 60 to get it over here gonna see if i can avoid the tax, are you getting one have you ridden one or seen it in he flesh its a lot of money for a steel frame

CountZero

650B isn't some sort of new-fangled wheel size magiked out of the air, I was riding a bike to school and around the woods forty years ago with 650B's on. It's a much more sensible size than 26", which came about just because Americans rode clunkers downhill that just happened to use 26" wheels. That size was never common in the UK, whereas 27"/650B was the standard size for all ordinary adult size bikes.
    Back on topic, I nearly bought a Spooky years back, but couldn't quite get the money together. Must admit, I really would like one of the above, just 'cos it's a Spooky, and I love the name. Plus it does look just right.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Is it really called a Horror Taxi? FFS you gotta buy it just for that! 🙂

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

"29ers are for gays and fashionistas who don't ride anything exciting. Like our own Tom Marvin. "

just cos i'm in the middle of tajikistan, it don't mean i can't hear you lukey boy…

>:[

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Would you pay £750 for one of these’ is closed to new replies.