• This topic has 100 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by mmb.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)
  • Would you own up if you hit a parked car and nobody saw you?
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

that'll be driving without due care and attention then

It's poor driving but my point, which you all seem to have missed by a surprising way, is that not every impact and driveaway (regardless of fault) is done on purpose. But you can keep trying to drag it down the other route of fault-finding if you like.

I mean that's what insurance is for, and lots of people have protected NCD.

I have protected NCD but it only protects for 2 claims in one year, or 3 in a 3 year period IIRC (fairly standard insurance practice) and since I seem to get 1 new major dent due to someone smashing their door off mine about once every 3 months, people would be paying every time as their NCD would be out of the window in a matter of a couple of years. Plus paying excesses. Not fair at all, and just because some people are careless and once they've been careless they drive away and leave you to pay.

I like to make damn sure that if someone has parked up close to my car and left a dent with their paint colouring in it that they are not driving their car away when I've left it – 2 flat tyres and a note thanking them for the damage. I've only had to do it once so far, as I met the owner of the car the last time it happened – a hyperactive lady who was too tied up in having to get to her meeting who smashed her door off mine while I was sat in the car. I got out and asked her what the hell she was up to (she'd made no attempt to apologise) and for her insurance details. She refused, so I dropped both her drivers side tyres. Hopefully that'll slow her up and make her think next time, it was a tad childish but I felt a lot better afterwards and no damage was done.

FuzzyWuzzy

Lol at that picture, probably explains why I found a similar note on my car once, basically just saying "Apologies, clipped your car but couldn't see any damage" and no contact details. Luckily I couldn't see any damage either but always seemed pointless leaving the note but I guess there were witnesses.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Mind you, your mate sounds like a tool also!

Right, I'll tell him. I'm sure he'll be thrilled to learn that you care so much.

I dropped both her drivers side tyres.

Which is technically Criminal Damage…. 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

Hit a parked car in Brighton and left details on windscreen

fail – brighton has special 'spanish' parking rules bumping cars is ok. in the BN1 postcode. 😕

hora
    Free Member

MrTall it might be worth having a cycle around your area and looking for cars of the same colour etc. Basically it might be a neighbour who has now decided to park a street or two away 'until the heat has gone down'.

A **** in a red Jimny in Hebden bridge decided to swipe my passenger mirror but keep going. I spotted this but wasnt quick enough to get his/her reg. I am however keeping alookout around the area- you never know.

MrTall
    Free Member

I'm always amazed at the 'that's what insurance is for' argument. Does that mean it's ok to burgle someones home as they have house insurance?

If i claim this on my insurance i have to report it on my applications for the next 5 years, i'll have to pay an excess and it will affect my no claims bonus and my future premiums will also be higher. What will happen is that i will have to stump up the cash myself which will no doubt run into the hundreds just to avoid all the insurance hassle. and all through no fault of my own. I know sh1t happens but it's still a pain to deal with and doubly annoying when i've done nothing wrong. Ho hum……

Hora – not entirely sure where it happened – it was one of two places and the most likely is the car park at the NEC hotel where i went for a seminar. Will be looking at the vans that park outside my office as well though as there is white scuffing on my blue car and at the height it is it must have been a 4×4 or a van of some sort.

hels
    Free Member

I would always own up if I hit somebody elses car and damaged it. Luckily this has never happened, although I wrote off a few letter boxes in my younger days.

My van has quite a few dings as I am not really that bothered about how it looks, a couple of which appeared by magic with no nobody owning up. And I think that car insurance is a huge scam.

But it's not up to me to make that decision for other people – I would leave a number if this happened, and take pictures of any damage.

Kharma indeed.

P.S I also believe that bumpers are for bumping and a very useful guide for where a parking space ends

Talkemada
    Free Member

I also believe that bumpers are for bumping and a very useful guide for where a parking space ends

😆

I like you! 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Heck yes every time it's an offence not to leave details. I bumped a parked car when I was in a hurry, didn't have time to look but took a few quite pics of their car and mine with my phone, left a note on windscreen. They rang me and said "thansk for being honest but car is so old and scrapes have polished off byee" as already said who knows where this is CCTV and what is watching you. If you get caught you'll end up in court!

ski
    Free Member

Left notes in the past after reversing into cars.

First time was a old Fiesta which was owned by a Police officer, she was so shocked I was honest enough to leave a note she never sent me a repair bill!

The second time, I reversed into a brand new TVR, cracked the fibreglass bodywork & was expecting a huge bill for that one! Owner again was very good and even let me have a spin when I came round to settle the reasonable bill.

Funniest thing I have ever seen is a guy revese out of a supermarket carpark at speed, hitting a trolly full of shopping, which was owned by the driver next to him. Trolley shot off like 10 pin ball down the carpark alley way, sending it clatering into a car at the end, covering it in shopping.

Had me in tears, the owner of the trolley even saw the funny side, not sure the owner of the other car did though 😉

lowey

In all probability, no.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would absolutely leave my details. If YOU make a mistake then you have to take responsibility for it. What are you people, twelve years old? You're a bloody disgrace. And you KNOW it.

There may sometimes be mitigating circumstances, that's a slightly different matter.

Do the right thing, it's not rocket science.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

2nd what Molgrips says.
    I can't believe people wouldn't! Bet you'd be pi**ed off if someone drove into yoru car, damaged it and didn't leave a note! Shocking society we are living in when people can't own up to mistakes.

hora
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member
    Hit a parked car in Brighton and left details on windscreen
    fail – brighton has special 'spanish' parking rules bumping cars is ok. in the BN1 postcode.

I was parked outside the entrance of the Royal Albion hotel there recently and someone kicked off one of the large headlight washer jet/body from the bumper- you could see the swipe mark in the mildew from the shoe etc. found the housing circa 50metres away by eagle-eye glancing around.

That was one lucky person that night. Anyone says they'd just drive off should remember this- you might be spotted doing this and reported for leaving the scene of an accident.

Or collared later by the owner. Who might treat you nicely or be a total ass to you and demand full resprays at a top place.

**** that.

Like I said previously I hope the owner of red Jimny has had his front wheel arch buffed out.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

People have damaged my car on numerous times and no-ones left a note, so on a like for like basis i wouldn't either.

my cars a old and scratched up anyway, so i'm not too fussed. it people want to keep their cars immaculate – don't use them! theres more important things to worry about in life.

hora
    Free Member

Thats the thing. If your car has scratches etc on- it ATTRACTS more. People just assume you don't care. Doesnt mean everyones the same.

I cracked the whole rear quarter light on Pooks car- there wasnt even a question of what would happen.

It all depends how your parents brought you up (or didn't bring you up) Chancers/dishonest people tend to breed offspring the same way. 🙄

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

My car is probably worth about £100 if i were to sell it, its got loads of scratches and dents all over it but it doesnt really bother me. It gets me from a to b regardless of the scratches.

There only cars at the end of the day, if you want to keep it immaculate dont use them on the public roads.

If I crashed into a another car and did serious damage that meant it was undrivable then i guess id leave my details. If it was a sratch, dent whatever, I probably wouldnt bother.

hora
    Free Member

and if a stranger accidently knocked into your main bike and knocked it down a wall putting a small scratch on the stanchion you'd shrug and say mountain bikes should be kept off the trails if you dont want them scratching.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

and if a stranger accidently knocked into your main bike and knocked it down a wall putting a small scratch on the stanchion you'd shrug and say mountain bikes should be kept off the trails if you dont want them scratching.

No, i'd kick off to ****, and probably knock him out.

To be honest I wouldnt be that bothered, although a scratch on the stanchion is likely to affect the function of the fork.

A scratch on the frame I definitely wouldnt be bothered about.

hora
    Free Member

Point is- you damage your own property and you curse yourself briefly and move on.

I caught the side of my car on the drive post a few months ago- I shrugged and thought it was bound to happen one day.

People taking liberties with your property isn't on.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I could imagien it would be frustrating. But maybe people need to change their ways and place less value on shiney items like cars and bikes.

hora
    Free Member

Or respect and emphasise with others on a very basic level of modern life.

Not everyone buys a £100 car. Some expect the car to give them something back at resale time.

molgrips
    Free Member

People have damaged my car on numerous times and no-ones left a note, so on a like for like basis i wouldn't either.

Since when, EVER do to wrongs make a right? You're cursing people for doing something cheerfully admitting you'd make yourself the same as them!

Get a grip. Do the right thing because it's the right thing.. even if you are the last good man on earth that's what you need to do. Otherwise the moral battle is utterly lost.

hora
    Free Member

Well at least we know the mindset behind people who do this.

zokes
    Free Member

But maybe people need to change their ways and place less value on shiney items like cars and bikes.

Maybe people need to grow up, take responsibility for their actions, and respect other peoples' property.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

If marked it and I had protected no claims yes. Otherwise no, **** it.

On the flip side of that comment. I have been the victim of the odd one or two anonymous knocks in the car park and to be honest I couldn't really give a toss.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yes, or grow up and think "why have I spent 20 grand on 'big kids' toy thats just going to get scratched and dented. I could have put the money towards something sensible like a good pension"

ski
    Free Member

Out of intrest, for those who would not leave your details for a minor knock.

At what level would you consider leaving your details if you caused a more serious accident?

Just curious?

hora
    Free Member

Neil, If I accidently damaged your car I'd ask you what your problem is. If you persited I'd tell you to use your own insurance, after all its there for reason and its only a car mate, get over it. 😆

If you still kicked off I'd call you a tosser and drive off denying everything. 😉

Jerome
    Free Member

My car got smashed in brighton by someone.
    Details were left, but no witness and now they are denying it.
    Ho-hum.
    That it was you have an old banger, few nice cars around me receieved the same treatment.

As a kid I dodged a tap, would leave details now.

J.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

QUite a few years ago i was in my brand new car and a scruffy old builders van pulled into the car park next to me. Guy opens the door straight into my car door and puts a small mark in the paint. I was raging and had a loud argument with him in the car park and took his reg number etc. He basically grunted when i asked if he was going to pay for any damage caused. Got back to work and it polished out so i didnt take it any further. Quite glad the guy was so big as i was at the point of hitting him if i hadnt considered the fact he would have killed me quite easily.

Its not just blokes. I have lost count of how many times i will be eating my lunch in the motor and some woman (More so than men) will pull up beside the car and bang the door.

Its a bit like the dog poo arguments, its considered normal to accept it these days, which is a shame

hora
    Free Member

Jerome was that after they found out the cost of the repair?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Out of intrest, for those who would not leave your details for a minor knock.

At what level would you consider leaving your details if you caused a more serious accident?

Just curious?

I think id leave details if it did a serious amount of damage, or actually affected the driveability of the car i.e. unsafe to drive.

A scratch or dent I wouldnt be bothered about

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

QUite a few years ago i was in my brand new car and a scruffy old builders van pulled into the car park next to me. Guy opens the door straight into my car door and puts a small mark in the paint. I was raging and had a loud argument with him in the car park and took his reg number etc. He basically grunted when i asked if he was going to pay for any damage caused. Got back to work and it polished out so i didnt take it any further. Quite glad the guy was so big as i was at the point of hitting him if i hadnt considered the fact he would have killed me quite easily.

Its not just blokes. I have lost count of how many times i will be eating my lunch in the motor and some woman (More so than men) will pull up beside the car and bang the door.

Its a bit like the dog poo arguments, its considered normal to accept it these days, which is a shame

Accidents happen, parking spaces are quite narrow, sometimes people struggle to get in and out of their cars without bumping doors. Its a fact of life. Leave your car at home and take the bus next time.

zokes
    Free Member

Yes, or grow up and think "why have I spent 20 grand on 'big kids' toy thats just going to get scratched and dented. I could have put the money towards something sensible like a good pension"

And then what, spend it on a 'big kid's toy'? Why would you spend £2k on a 'push bike' when you can get one for £50 from ASDA. "Oh, sorry, it's only a small dent, here's a tenner to get another one"

I think this thread has summed up quite well just how idiotic some people can be, and how they have no concept of how to behave in a civilised society

zokes
    Free Member

A scratch or dent I wouldnt be bothered about

It's not your property to be 'bothered about' though…

hora
    Free Member

Accidents happen, parking spaces are quite narrow, sometimes people struggle to get in and out of their cars without bumping doors. Its a fact of life. Leave your car at home and take the bus next time.

I also park in the same carpark slots in carparks- I haven't dented anyone's cars. You've been caught out fella. Remind me not to trust anything you sell huh 😉

Jerome
    Free Member

Hora – never found what it would costs to repair.
    After chasing up their insurers, seems they had claimed for their car but stated they hit a bollard.
    J.

hora
    Free Member

Thats got to be fraud. You have the note AND a false insurance claim- they gave false details for a claim. You could have provided the note to their insurers and added that you'd like it to go legal/handwriting experts the lot involved. At the very least their insurers would have relented and then ramped up their premiums.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I also park in the same carpark slots in carparks- I haven't dented anyone's cars. You've been caught out fella. Remind me not to trust anything you sell huh

I dont think I've dented anyones door either, I usually try not too. Its just a fact that theres not enough space to allow the doors to open fully without a collision. Hitting someone for a 'clash of doors' is a bit extreme if you ask me.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Would you own up if you hit a parked car and nobody saw you?’ is closed to new replies.