• This topic has 272 replies, 131 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Duggan.
Viewing 33 posts - 241 through 273 (of 273 total)
  • Would you miss STW if we lost it?
  • dissonance

This would work brilliantly. “we’ve noticed that you cannot help but get the last word

Or possibly have the option to pay to end a thread after posting your “thread ending” argument.

Mark

how about a Swap Shop next to Classifieds?

That’s going on the list 🙂

convert

Having visited STW Towers and stared into the belly of the beast

Ewwwwww

Talking about kicking a man when he’s down. I’d just call Mark comfortably proportioned.

leffeboy

If they won’t pay £20/year they won’t pay £10 either. And £20/year really is bugger-all.

So true.  If you price things too low people just don’t pay, it’s mad considering what else they would pay for.

How about just detecting those non members who are here a ‘lot’ and popping up a digital sub ad every 500 posts for example.  A nag screen but set so it doesn’t appear more than every 2 months or so.  It’s super easy to think ‘yes I’ll subscribe but my card isn’t next to me’ and then just forget.  A reminder isn’t offensive as long as it isn’t too often

convert

I get something pop up on the guardian site that says says something along the lines of ‘you have read xxx articles. We hope you find them valuable. Considered contributing. It makes me feel bad….but clearly not quite bad enough yet!!!!

leffeboy

but clearly not quite bad enough yet!!!!

please do.  Click funded news is part of the problem these days

chewkw
    Free Member

@ cougar

A fairly prolific Free Member poster said yesterday that they’d been here for 21 years, wanted to support the site and didn’t know what to do. Lolwut?

Moi? I follow the rules of registering as Free Members. Do you expect something else in return as a Free Members, if so you need to clarify it.

Put it another way, when I donate blood or platelets I do it free. I do not except a return other than to follow the rules like they way they give me like biscuits and tea/coffee after donation.

£ subscription is not a lot but like I said previously I used to buy the mags from WH Smith but I stopped (now I remember why because of my lower back pain) after few years. Now everything I want is in the past especially MTB related.

Yes, it would be a great shame to loose STW forum because of the “diverse” views but ultimately if forum expects something in return from the Free member then it should clarify. I seldom start new thread or topic and only participated in some of the more interesting topics.

I have tried to “contribute” some ideas (one in this thread) to help but it is not easy because STW business model is unique.

As far as I have noticed no one had yet to provide a sustainable ideas to help STW other than suggesting the temporary measure of subscription.

My feeling is that there’s no harm in being a “non-paying, long-term member.” Rather, if they don’t subscribe and boast about blocking advertising then they waive any rights they may have had to piss and moan about things.

I have never complained about the STW website (go check my history – most of the time I go along with it coz it’s free!) because it is a private forum and the owner dictates the rules, I just follow.

The question is how do you convert the Free to Subscription etc? On a general note that’s a question most business models want to know.

p/s: If you want to know if I will pay for subscription. My honest answer is I don’t know. As I said many things I wanted were already in the past.

pp/s: The forum is doing just fine IMO with the current format. Messing with it is risky. What STW needs is to generate income from alternative source and this is the dilemma.

dyna-ti

I went full fat. Was reading the company accounts and that was a bit of an eye opener. If my business returned accounts like that i’d be looking for the bankruptcy forms 😆

Been here 13 years, but in truth I joined, but spent 80% of the time on RetroBike, only popping occasionally in here for one thing or another.

But I seem to spend now 80% here, and had a think about time here, the abuse from other members, the lack of certain freedoms that might clash with others on certain subjects, off set by the experience of a collective group. I came to the conclusion that £39/ a year is about the cheapest thing I’ve a direct debit for. I mean 39 quid ???, thats **** all. Thats like the cost of one pint of beer a month.

Ridiculously cheap, and im on a low income these days, and if I can afford £39 a year, then EVERYONE ELSE here can too.

It took under 5 mins to set it up, from start to finish. Account details, sort code press this, then that and done.

Cougar

Moi? I follow the rules of registering as Free Members. Do you expect something else in return as a Free Members, if so you need to clarify it.

Possibly? I don’t know, I don’t really pay as much attention as I should to usernames.

I don’t -expect- anything (as you quoted, quite the opposite in fact), and even if I did it’d be irrelevant as I have nothing to do with STW other than being a user. But [you | someone]? earlier sounded perplexed as to what else you could do.🤷‍♂️

I bristle against Full Members ragging on Free Members, there’s no hierarchy of worth here. Equally, I bristle against Free Members boasting about how they take every measure to circumvent any potential revenue from advertising. Both of these membership levels have equal merit but pick one. If you “only use the forum” and “don’t want adverts” it’s like, what, 5p a day? If you saw a 5p coin on the street would you even bother to stop and pick it up?

mefty
    Free Member

Maybe once, not anymore.

bearnecessities

You know these dreamcargiveaway things that seem to do so well?

Could you do something like that on the front page/forum sticky with bike kit, or even tech stuff like wireless earphones or whatever (Stw tech angle opens up a wide variety of popular things to offer).

Folk seem willing to chuck away a small amount (me included) just for a thrill of maybe winning – so that could work out? Once you’ve crunched the numbers, made it easier from a governance perspective by ensuring free postal entries and all that.

Once you’ve then got a better idea of ROI, maybe work up to bigger items like forks and robot lawnmowers 🤠. Obvz there’s a reputational consideration with gambling, so probably keep low cost/max entries.

Unless of course it really is a resource-intensive ballache to get involved in competitions. Dunno. Just throwing some unicorns against a wall to see what sticks.

blokeuptheroad

@bearnecessities that sounds like a good idea, I’d chuck in for the chance of winning some blingy kit.

Mark

You know those really easy/ridiculous questions you have to answer to be entered into one of our prize draws? If you aren’t on our newsletter list you should be. Well that’s because that is what differentiates our competitions from a lottery for which you need a licence. By asking a stupid qualifying question it becomes, in law, a game of skill for which a lottery licence is not required. Also, the game of skill must be free to enter to be strictly kosha. Asking for cash to enter a competition is certainly doable but it’s very admin heavy and requires registration, approval and the like.

Getting prizes is the easy part. We have some great prizes going out every week at the moment in exchange for just being on our mailing list, which is free.

That is worth a lot to us. A fat mailing list attracts paying sponsors who want to get their promo in it. So another way you can help for free is sign up and stay signed up.

Cougar

Yeah, alright. Done.

Account

blokeuptheroad

So another way you can help for free is sign up and stay signed up.

Fair enough, done.

argee

Not sure why folk would feel they need to join if they don’t really want too, just using this site gives it traffic, which can increase ad revenue, it also increases discussions and more like minded people and so on, anyway, hopefully more do join, or buy stuff, maybe some changes at ST Towers as well with the mag or whatever to eek out more funds, not like they’re not doing it already, but you’d hope that with an industry that’s been doing pretty well for the last few years, there’d be more funds to push towards advertising, partnering stories, etc, maybe even more MTB events that could bring in funds with a bit of networking from the industry and so on.

As always though, just enjoy it for what it is, i’ve seen many websites come and go, STW has been around 20 years for me, so it’s got longevity already, who on here remembers the way bike magic went, lets hope it doesn’t happen here!

bearnecessities

If the problem if forecasting/guaranteeing income, to enable investment and stuff – and it sounds like that – it’s got to be a small hike in subscriptions?

I’ve gone down the voluntary route by asking to add just a small amount to my annual subscription by emailing Zoe as mentioned earlier – subs@singletrackworld.com.

I can’t help but think that’s the best message to push out – “if you can, please add a voluntary bit to your annual subscription – and thank you to anyone else just sticking with their existing one” etc.

Or kidnap pets. You’ve got the addresses.

bentandbroken

I subscribed for ‘Digital only’ after the Covid ‘plea’. I think I have just subscribed to the mailing list. Easy enough to do and if it helps then it is well worth doing

Kuco

If you saw a 5p coin on the street would you even bother to stop and pick it up?

No

reluctantjumper

A small increase on sub costs really wouldn’t bother me, a fiver more on the annual sub is nothing in reality but if that x 1000 keeps the place running well then that’s fine by me.

This place is full of information, people with skills, advice, genuine knowledge, humour, abilities and the photos are amazing.

Every time I look round my flat it strikes me how much of the stuff in it has been bought after recommendations or influence from here. Just on the table I’m at now there’s:

The computer I’m on now.
    The headphones next to me.
    The mug I’m drinking from.
    The tyre pressure gauge by the monitor.
    The GPS unit that’s by my keyboard.
    The USB charging station.

Above me is a Trail Maps framed poster of the trails at Coed Y Brenin that I got for Christmas after it was mentioned on here. Even the Cranked mags stacked underneath are due to a post on here! I’ll ignore the Lego and RC cars on the shelves, there’s a lot of money spent there and all down to here.

I subscribed for ‘Digital only’ after the Covid ‘plea’.

Same here, even though I was unemployed at the time. The £20 was a bargain considering mow much time I spend on here. I didn’t go for the print sub as I don’t really enjoy the whole mag, picking the good bits digitally works fine for me.

leffeboy

Every time I look round my flat it strikes me how much of the stuff in it has been bought after recommendations or influence from here

Pretty much anything I’m looking for info on I’ll do a ‘site:singletrackworld.com/forum’ type search.  I’ve been here long enough to recognise a lot of the names so it’s a bit like asking your pals what they think of something.  I’ve got a good idea how to bias the results depending on who is writing.  Online reviews are getting harder to trust so this place is good for that

And on buying merch, any chance of some more of the New West Short Sleeve Riding Shirt please?  They were great

singletrackmind

Need to convert the 1.4 million individuals imto cash.
    The target audience is there in enough numbers.
    The product (, forums) are good enough that i suspect people would pay to veiw.
    Asking the few thousand who subscribe for £2 more simply isn’t enough.

Edukator
    Free Member

How about just detecting those non members who are here a ‘lot’ and popping up a digital sub ad every 500 posts for example.

We freeloaders have to sit through a 12 second screen blocking “we get it – ads can be very annoying, please subscribe” pop up after every cookie clearance and randomly thereafter at present. 🙂

I enjoy using the site, however if it were subscription only I would no longer use it. I buy a newpaper now and then but don’t subscribe to any. I listen to music but don’t subscribe to any streaming sites. I watch films now and then but don’t subscribe to Netflix, I have a sat box but only watch non-subscription channels etc..

My contributions are part of the business model, if they’re not judged constructive I get cut out. While I’m still allowed to post I’ll assume I’m still contributing positively to the business.

As a freeloader I don’t/haven’t made a lot of noise about intrusive advertising on the site, other than to politely point it out when it’s been impossible to use the site on my phone due to the ads. I quite like the idea that the site creates enough traffic to attract enough advertising revenue to pay the bills. Unfortunately that would no longer appear to be the case.

I hope that STW finds a model that works that pays the bills and in which I can still participate.

Cougar

pop up after every cookie clearance

Don’t do that, then?

You can hardly blame any website for forgetting your preferences after you’ve explicitly said “delete my preference settings.”

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m really not bothered by the pop up Cougar, the ad also pops up at random, I’m not bothered by that either, I accept it as part of the business model, I only raised it because it was mentioned as a tease (my quote) that subscribers wouldn’t understand because they don’t get the pop up.

I use a lot of free services, and as we all know, if it’s free we are the product. lachaineméteo, an irritating newspaper that’s very popular here, the BBC (the broadcasting one), France Bleu, onvista.de, Youtube, sketchup – just citing the tabs I currrently have open. They al have models that work, some insist on you accepting cookies, some don’t, some run very visible advertising, others don’t. They all have models I can live with, if I can’t live with the model I don’t use it, ther have been periods when I’ve given up on STW, at present I’m quite happy to live with level of ads and pop ups to tyhe point that on my phone at least there’s nothing to stop STW throwing at me anything they please.

gauss1777
    Free Member

I am very much in the same boat as Edukator. I subscribe to almost nothing. I was under the impression that the ads I see make for my contribution.
    Is more revenue obtained from subscriptions or ads?
    On the occasions when subscribing has arisen previously, the pinch of nastiness aimed at Free members, has dissuaded me from subscribing.
    I would be sad to see the forum lost. Time to subscribe I guess.

reeksy

If they won’t pay £20/year they won’t pay £10 either. And £20/year really is bugger-all.

So true. If you price things too low people just don’t pay, it’s mad considering what else they would pay for.

That’s odd. IIRC I didn’t become a paying member until there was a discount that did exactly that. No doubt Mark will know the exact impact that sale had on membership numbers.

It is the only paid subscription i have for anything.

wingnuts

This is a marvellous place and is the only forum that I come to. It has given such a range of richness through advice, support, humour and tenderness that if all other means of support to sustain it fail it should be taken under the wing of the National Trust.

Where else would we get Bullheart, naming an obscure pub in Oxfordshire, TJ’s journey, sourcing left handed crank taps, the kindness of strangers all to the stench of the Picolax thread?

Would I miss it? Yes in so many ways which have been reversed above.
    Would I pay for it? Yes and do (the digital package as I’ve generally given up on print media)
    Would I pay more? Yes but understand the tipping point issues.
    This is the only subscription I pay for.

seadog101

YES!

I find it an invaluable source of information, help, advice, support and overall friendly.
    The magazine is ace, and I without it the UK MTB scene would be a sad place.

kayak23

If we’re putting out ideas for income, what about starting to charge small tolls on some of your roads around the country?

That could bring in quite a bit I’d have thought.

Bunnyhop

Apologies for not reading the whole thread, but I’d like to mention ‘Pook’s pootles’.
    These gatherings have brought around friendships that for me have been very special and lasted years. ‘whispers’, there’s even a marriage. All this from STW.

It’s more than the forum and magazine, the mtbers that have ridden together from all over the country and continue to do to this day.

Would I miss it?

In the short term – probably.

The forum is always an interesting read in those small moments to occupy a bit of time such as on the karzee, waiting for the ads on TV to pass, teams calls, MIL repeating the same story, etc

Long term – no not really

Duggan

Hmmm…I’m a free member and happy to pay-up after reading this. I’ll be honest, the financial health or accounts of an internet forum I use are never really at the forefront of my mind so its just not something I’d ever considered before. Pretty much all the issues being discussed on this page are new to me.

I don’t ever view the main site and I don’t buy the magazine. I only road ride now but even when I mountain biked I didn’t buy it even then as personally I could never really get along with the writing style.

I’ll stump up for a sub but this is 100% based on the facts that I often get really helpful advice on the forum for training and bike maintenance and that type of stuff.

I avoid a huge amount of threads as they seem to be tedious arguing or people posting graphs or pie charts at each other. Also, despite the fact that I am also a lefty northerner who works in an office and so basically fit right in, it does strike me as a little odd that the forum seems so overtly left-wing. I’ve found myself feeling a little sorry for random people sometimes as it does seem a bit like people get immediately jumped on if their views don’t fit the narrative. Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit weird for a mountain bike forum.

Would I miss it if its gone? I think the people saying yes are likely people who have met friends here or had real-life help and whatnot whereras I don’t think I’m really that invested, though I do recognise a few names every now and then. It crashes my computer and even my phone on a daily basis and now I’m going to pay a subscription for that so I guess that says a lot about the value I place on the people and the help with training, bike maintenance etc.

Cheers
    Duggan

Viewing 33 posts - 241 through 273 (of 273 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.