• This topic has 30 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by exsee.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Would you let the roofers use your toilet? an immune compromised patient at home
  • Premier Icon Frankenstein
    Free Member

Hi, my garage roof is leaking and a roofer is using 3 days to repair it while I look after my Mother.

I’m thinking of saying no to the roofer using any of the toilets at my home due to Coronavirus spreading to my Mother.

As I have my elderly frail Mother at home (recovering from chemo Hodgkins) as she can’t live alone.

Normally I wouldn’t mind and would clean the cloakroom WC while Mum stayed upstairs using the main bathroom.

What would you do?

Premier Icon derek_starship
    Free Member

Absolutely no chance.

Premier Icon crispedwheel
    Free Member

If you’re at all worried I’d suggest that having a garage roof fixed isn’t especially essential in the current circumstances, and postpone it until your mother has recovered.

Premier Icon chestrockwell

I would bodge a fix until we’re past this. My son is on the at risk register and I won’t let anyone in the house.

Premier Icon jeffl

Yeah agree. It’s not fair to ask people to work all day without having a wazz. But conversely you want to protect your mum. So postpone the work. Otherwise they’ll piss on your garage roof to check for any leaks 😁

Premier Icon bails

So postpone the work. Otherwise they’ll piss on your garage roof to check for any leaks

If anyone is going to sh*t down the chimney….

Premier Icon alric
    Free Member

what is this risk register, for immune compromised people?
    is it something one needs to be made aware before living with someone on it?
    asking because someone i know is claiming low immunity, I didnt realise she should be on a list

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nope, no way.

Premier Icon phil5556

No chance. I don’t have any condition and I wouldn’t be letting anyone in the house at the moment.

Premier Icon gobuchul
    Free Member

No chance.

Premier Icon CraigW
    Free Member

Tell them to hire a portaloo.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

I was going to suggest a portaloo.

Or dig a pit in the garden.

Premier Icon binners

Can he not revert to ‘just back from a night ride’ etiquette and piss down the grid in the back garden?

Premier Icon rydster
    Free Member

3 days implies some significant work. That’s more than a leak.

Premier Icon revs1972
    Free Member

That’s more than a leak.

Pretty sure there will some number 2’s over 3 days

Premier Icon thegreatape
    Free Member

3 days implies some significant work. That’s more than a leak.

I agree. One day, perhaps just a leak. Three days, definitely going to be a shite as well.

EDIT – 35 seconds FFS!

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

Has he asked if he can use the loo? I’d imagine he may well be used to improvised facilities. Behind the shed, on the compost, back of the van in a bucket and poor it down the drain.

Most folk can manage a working day without a 💩

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

I probably wouldn’t let them in, but I’d make it clear I’m happy for them to wee in a hedge or on the compost.

Premier Icon bigfoot
    Free Member

often work on jobs with no toilet or access to one, always find a way round it for a piss, and unless been on the beer night before a crap before leaving the house in the morning and you should be good all day on that front.

Premier Icon big_n_daft
    Free Member

CDM says he has to have welfare on site during the works.

If you can’t provide it and the work can’t be postponed then you pay for a welfare van such as hired from Garic and others

Premier Icon boblo
    Free Member

Is anticipating ‘big curly one found after roofer finished, WWSTWD?’ thread to follow…

Premier Icon redmex
    Free Member

A garage roof repair hardly coming under essential work

Premier Icon Frankenstein
    Free Member

Thanks, also the roof is outside access only and it’s leaking heavily connected to my house. The ceiling is damp and 8K of bikes, motorcycle and storage. If I don’t get it fixed it will cost me xx thousands.

Ok spoke to the Roofer/builder. He’s already briefed his staff not to use customers lavatories or accept drinks for health and safety.

He’s bringing a bucket and can he use the shed or behind it.

Was going to get the job fixed in Feb but he was busy and rang me today as he is doing one job a week.

He won’t be coming into the house and I won’t be shaking hands as I usually do.

Feel bad about my lack of hospitality but my Mum and Dad is on that register but as I have been helping, they don’t get food delivery options from Tesco so they stayed with me as I am working from home instead of the lab.

Premier Icon scotroutes

I can’t believe you’re sending the lab out to work. Is there not space for both of you?

Free Member

I’ve done my lab work. Analysing data now. Beats going on the tube and sneaking in a ride.

Any curly dodo found on the house and I’d just bring in my biohazards work suit home and remove.

Then spray cleaner and air freshener or place in No 10. letterbox.

Premier Icon redmex
    Free Member

It defeats what the country is trying to get folk to do, put your bikes in storage,stick a hap over the roof,the roofer he will be so glad for the work obviously but will they all turn up in their own vehicles etc and a lot of folk can get briefed but will they stick to the rules. Some folk abiding by the lockdown will be losing so much more. Feb was such a wet month yet it’s bone dry now

Free Member

I offered to wait but after the rain from yesterday morning it went straight through.

I put up a tarpaulin but the drainage system is a fault and leaking.

He’s told me he’s carried out a risk assessment and doing the work himself and his brother will drop off the materials band remove the waste.

The smell of damp makes us want to vomit it’s that bad.

Premier Icon rydster
    Free Member

What’s in the schedule of works? A roof leak could require simply a cracked slate or tile to be replaced or a quick patch repair on a flat roof. 3 days says to me the entire roof covering of a garage is being replaced.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

It defeats what the country is trying to get folk to do, put your bikes in storage,stick a hap over the roof,the roofer he will be so glad for the work obviously but will they all turn up in their own vehicles etc and a lot of folk can get briefed but will they stick to the rules. Some folk abiding by the lockdown will be losing so much more. Feb was such a wet month yet it’s bone dry now

6 of 1 etc.

You’re still allowed to work, and the advice is if you can work from home then you should, but obviously a roofer can’t. He might be able to furlough his staff, but it’s still not that simple for directors of companies.

The half a dozen side of that argument is as a director he was potentially a bit “tax efficient” which is why he can’t furlough himself on 80% of earnings.

Premier Icon Drac

No, absolutely not it puts them at risk as much as you and mother. Get a bodge job done until it’s over.

Premier Icon exsee
    Free Member

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Would you let the roofers use your toilet? an immune compromised patient at home’ is closed to new replies.