Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Would you kick the dog?
  • angeldust
    Free Member

Do you not know how to behave around dogs? 🙂

Personally I wouldn’t kick a dog if it wasn’t doing any harm.  You might teach it a lesson it won’t forget, but more likely you will give it an injury it doesn’t deserve.  Best to find a way to tackle the source of the issue – the owner.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Kicked it? No.

Scruffed it and waved it , yelping and squirming , in the face of the owner? Yes.

bikebouy
    Free Member

report to the police.  thats a dog dangerously out of control as defined in law and / or give it a good boot.  After behaviour like that from the owner I certainly would report it as its clear they are not controlling it and will not.

I had to employ this technique a couple of years ago. I run a local trail at home and I’d never seen this particular yappy dog before, been using that trail for yonks (on and off bike) as it’s a direct route to the beach.. clearly not the only one to use it either…

Ran along it, yappy dog sets upon me. Wondering where it came from because I’d seen no-one on the trail, then further down the trail there’s a bungalow.. ahh.. so that’s it’s home… couple of times later and it attacks me again, so the next time I take my phone and lo and behold it’s back to attacking me. So I recorded the incident with the local council and thought nothing of it… a few weeks later and it’s back yapping so I booted it in the back leg and it yelped and stopped, then I heard someone shout at me so I ran upto them and told them what happened.. I got the “she’s only a little dog, she’s never done that before” excuses and I politely called that bollocks and told them I’d already reported it.

I take the opinion that you should try to reason with the owner, but if they are too stupid or retarded to understand then it’s fair game to kick the dog … hard, because it has to be taught.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PJM1974
    Free Member

Badly behaved dogs are right up there with arrogant drivers when it comes to provoking the ire of otherwise meek Singletrack forumites.

IME, too many dog owners have no idea how to control their pets and fail to discipline them.  While kicking the mutt may be hugely satisfying and will prevent them from bothering you any further, it’s not going to fix the underlying issue which is that the dog’s owner has failed to properly train their pet.

sbob
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t kick a dog if it wasn’t doing any harm.

And I wouldn’t punch a pensioner for pushing into the queue at the post office, but neither of these scenarios are relevant to the OP where harm, and distress did occur. 💡

Kick the dog OP, don’t become one of the thousands of people admitted to hospital each year due to dog attacks.

Alternatively, get yourself a proper dog. Our family Staffie is the most loving well natured animal you’ll come across, but if another dog plays silly buggers it would rip them to pieces.

PJM1974
    Free Member

And I wouldn’t punch a pensioner for pushing into the queue at the post office, but neither of these scenarios are relevant to the OP where harm, and distress did occur.

Genuine coffee/screen interface moment here!

anagallis_arvensis

TJ’s advice is correct also if the dog is actually biting you boot the **** thing. Although in the op’s case I just have an image of a man mincing about, Dashund in arms and squealing whilst a small dog nips his ankles in a pretty harmless manner. If a dog bites you and it doesnt break the skin, its not trying, its playing..

Still needs reporting though and is still very annoying.

sbob
    Free Member

Although in the op’s case I just have an image of a man mincing about, Daschund in arms and squealing whilst a small dog nips his ankles in a pretty harmless manner.

And there was me assuming the OP was a woman!

Silly sbob!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Used to have a dachs (rescue, timid from prior abuse), one day this jack russell came tearing under a boundary fence onto the footpath and went for her.  My walking staff leaped into immediate action and made contact with hind leg.  Sent the JR limping and yelping away.  Felt bad but in the heat of the moment it seemed appropriate.  ‘Bite Back’ spray maybe?

angeldust
    Free Member

Alternatively, get yourself a proper dog. Our family Staffie is the most loving well natured animal you’ll come across, but if another dog plays silly buggers it would rip them to pieces.

Ah, Staffie owner.  Makes a lot of sense.

lucky7500

I booted it in the back leg and it yelped and stopped,

Consider yourself extremely fortunate that the owner didn’t get the RSPCA involved after that. You would almost certainly find yourself in court if reported for an unprovoked attack on a dog!

sbob
    Free Member

Makes a lot of sense.

What does? Keeping the dog on a lead and under control? Too right.

Certainly more than your two posts made of 100% senseless bollocks.

Here’s a clue: when you are being called out before even joining a thread it may be time for some introspection. 💡

fasthaggis

I would kick the dog and bite the ankles of the owner,that will teach them.

sbob
    Free Member

I would kick the dog and bite the ankles of the owner

Then rob the poor and shoot the money!

angeldust
    Free Member

What does? Keeping the dog on a lead and under control? Too right.

But what about the rights of the dog to roam free? Shirley you can’t deny the laws of nature?

sbob
    Free Member

But what about the rights of the dog to roam free? Shirley you can’t deny the laws of nature?

I appreciate that they are now shaved, buffed and scented with lavender, but you are still talking bollocks.

angeldust
    Free Member

Mine or the dogs?

taxi25
    Free Member

I’m cool with dogs roaming in a rural area. Providing they behave and don’t cause a nuisance.  But this one wasn’t behaving, a gentle stab with you foot should sort it.

martymac

I like dogs, but don’t own one as i work shifts.

i worked as a window cleaner for 15 years, on and off, so I have been bitten many many times.

without fail, every time I’ve been bitten, the owner has said “don’t worry, he doesn’t bite”

it’s a shame for the dog in the op’s case, as there’s nothing happier than a well trained dog.

sbob
    Free Member

Dogs have no right to roam free. I can see stickers on lamp posts from this very seat offering fines to dog owners that think otherwise.

DezB
    Free Member

Dogs have no right to roam free

I support dogs’ rights to stand on their own two four feet!

Richie_B

I’m not a great defender of horses but they do have a pre-programmed response to loose yappy dogs which, unless the riders are very skilled or lucky, doesn’t tend to end well.

The owners aren’t going to do anything.  It’s on a bridleway report it.

There is a similar dog locally which everyone has moaned about and complained to the owner but not taken further.  Last week it went for a horse on the road.  It was only down to the skill of the rider that no-one was killed (I’m usually the one complaining about clueless horse riders).

scandal42
    Free Member

“Alternatively, get yourself a proper dog. Our family Staffie is the most loving well natured animal you’ll come across, but if another dog plays silly buggers it would rip them to pieces”

Then you would be as irresponsible as the other dogs owner.

Also you would be dogless once the order to destroy your aggressive dog was passed down, would you be so smug of it’s ability to ‘rip them to pieces’

sbob
    Free Member

your aggressive dog

It’s not aggressive, it is defensive. Calm yourself down.

PrinceJohn

Often folk don’t realise they’ve moved onto a right of way and loose angry little dogs are going to get  hurt pretty quickly if they carry on biting people.

If they’ve bought/rented the house this would’ve surely been pointed out to them at the time of buying/letting?!

I booted it in the back leg and it yelped and stopped,

Consider yourself extremely fortunate that the owner didn’t get the RSPCA involved after that. You would almost certainly find yourself in court if reported for an unprovoked attack on a dog!

It wasn’t unprovoked tho?!

I’ve always thought I’d be a non-kicker, until a hellhound ran out of a farm & went for me on my bike, I tried to kick it but missed so just sped off.

funkmasterp

Personally I’d take a hessian sack next time I was around that way. When the dog approaches simply capture it in your hessian sack. Take the dog home and spend a few weeks training it. Drop it back where you found it and hey presto! One well behaved dog.

scandal42
    Free Member

It’s not aggressive, it is defensive. Calm yourself down.

The act of ripping another dog to pieces is not defensive, that’s not how dogs work and it goes way beyond defensive behaviour.

Maybe the wording was badly chosen eh?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Good to see this thread going “full-Staffie-Big-Hitter”!

😀

angeldust
    Free Member

Does the Staffie have it’s own Kappa tracksuit and baseball bat?

cynic-al
    Free Member

angeldust

Does the Staffie have it’s own internet connection and big-hitting laptop?

FTFY 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Big Bit ‘er ?

brakes
    Free Member

I think we can all agree that the only solution agreeable to everyone is to borrow a horse and let it do the kicking.

sbob
    Free Member

What would your dog do if another dog attacked it, write a strongly worded letter?

And what would your advice to the OP be? So far your posts have lacked any content.

sbob
    Free Member

I think we can all agree that the only solution agreeable to everyone is to

Keep your dogs under control; on a lead.

philjunior
    Free Member

My parents used to have a dog, once 2 larger dogs went for it, lucky it was on the lead and they ran away when I very angrily shouted at them.

I would’ve kicked them about 2 seconds later if they hadn’t backed off.

But as you managed to back away, I think you did the right thing, it’s not the dog’s fault that the owners are idiots. In your situation you know where they live etc. in order to report it too, which is useful.

deejayen
    Free Member

Has anyone actually tried kicking a dog?  I’d be afraid that I’d come off worse!

sbob
    Free Member

Has anyone actually tried kicking a dog?

Tried it with the family dog once but it blocked me and roundhouse kicked me out the mother **** window.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes, booted a farm collie locally once or twice….

MrSparkle

I have two dogs. I’m completely with Cougar on this one.

Clover

Just to help your mental imagery, I’m female and the dachshund cross is more like a long wheelbase terrier (i.e. not a miniature). She’s also a foster dog hence being extra protective of her (I’m keen not to hand her back to the RSPCA in bits). So I had my hands full which made any other interaction with the grumpy biting dog or the second loud but not aggressive dog pretty difficult.

I made it out without actual injury (and I was wearing sheep shearing clothes so you wouldn’t actually see whether a dog had damaged them 😉 ) and without hoofing the little blighter.

However, this is a regular walk so I’ve emailed the ROW officer to see whether he can help. Otherwise I might need dog kicking training.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Would you kick the dog?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts