Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Would you help a motorist in trouble?
  • breadcrumb

Sitting in a queue to join a roundabout a car joining from your right is crawling along the roundabout. It comes to a stop in-between the entrance/exit to your left. Cars in front drive around it. No hazard lights displayed on the car.

Do you
    A) Drive around it?
    B) Pull up behind and offer assistance?
    C) Other?

kayak23

Get out and give it a push.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I would consider offering to push it to somewhere safer, that would be the limit unless it was due to a flat tyre and someone unable to change the wheel.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Always help.

funkmasterp

I’d offer to help

twistedpencil

Push to safety. Did this as a cyclist a couple of years ago during a flash flood with a car that had stalled in a rather large puddle causing gridlock. Three cyclists helped move this car as loads of car drivers just ignored the stranded car.

Really don’t understand the I’m alright mentality when people need help, but realise I appear to be in a minority.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Help – done that many times in the past. And hope for similar if the tables were turned!

breadcrumb

So I’m not the minority! This happened at the start of the week. Few cars just dodged around.
    When I got to the car I realised it was a colleague, and it wasn’t a mechanical. He was having a hypo (diabetes) so things got interesting pretty quickly!

Ambulance service and the 999 operator were fantastic, worth their weight in gold.

drnosh
    Free Member

Breadcrumb. Good on you for helping.

My wife is diabetic and I know what she is like when a hypo comes on.

I will always stop and offer help – cyclist or motorist.

I would like to think that somebody would offer me help if the situation required it.

kerley
    Free Member

It is not the 70’s anymore. Nobody has time to interrupt their journey to help push another car off the road. Used to be a common occurrence years ago but these days people just tend to drive on past such is the society we now live in.

beefheart
    Free Member

Drive around whilst flipping the bird.

globalti
    Free Member

When I sat in my car by the road after mis-fuelling it I was amazed at the number of offers of help I received. One young lad even mis-heard me, went away and came back with a can of petrol!

gnusmas

Last year I was travelling on the motorway at 1:00 ish am, after travelling to London to drop Lyanda off at her parents for a few days. A motorbike went past me. All of a sudden ahead of me I saw the bike flip up in the air. I put my hazards on, pulled onto the hard shoulder and waited for a gap in the traffic so I could get to the Central reservation where the bike was.

Couldn’t see the rider anywhere. I dragged the bike off the road to the central barriers. Called out and then saw him in other cars headlights about 100 yards up the road. He was wobbling around all over the place. Ran over to him, got him back to the bike. He told me a car pulled out and smacked straight into him. I sat him down next to the bike and told him not to move.

I then called the police and explained what had happened. While I was on the phone to them, a police car happened to come past, saw us in the central reservation, stopped and put the flashing lights on. They shouted to us that we shouldn’t be standing there, it’s too dangerous. One of them came over, i explained it all to him. He radioed for an ambulance.

We eventually got his bike in neutral to push it across the motorway to the hard shoulder. I pushed the bike while the 2 officers helped him across. I waited with them for about 20 mins until the ambulance arrived.

They thanked me for stopping and helping. During this whole time, not one other person stopped. It pains me a great deal that people will happily slow down to have a look at accidents and carnage, but will not stop and help others when they clearly need help.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Help them along with a friendly white van nudge.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Get out and offer the driver a hand/phone/push

This.

Many many years ago I went for a ride on a trials bike I owned, a little TL125 which I did some very low key competitions with in Shropshire.

Anyway, I went to the Long Mynd on a ride and the bike cut out and wouldn’t start. I had no idea why, I had petrol, the plugs were new, the minimal electrics were functioning.. I was baffled.

I stood there looking and fiddling, poking and prodding.

My journey back home was 35miles or so back to Ironbridge.. and before any AA recovery assistance subscription…

Within less than an hour I had two offers of help, from car drivers, and an offer to go down the valley to get some petrol…

The fault was overheating and petrol evaporation in the carb, I suppose I should have realised.. once cooled down it ran fine and didn’t falter at all on the way home.

I also ran out of petrol on the day my Dad died, in a panic I forgot about filling the car up, on my way to my Mums. Along the A52 the car came to a stop and I stood there in mild desperation.. for many reasons. Then a car stopped, asked what the problem was and instantly offered a lift to the petrol station down the road.. I told them the problem after I got in thier car, they just stopped before knowing what was going on to assist..

I stopped the other day just outside of Bishops Waltham, a 205 had come to a stop just after a deep puddle and I guessed they’d driven through it and flooded the car.. the Girl inside said she’d called her parents and they were on their way.. but you never know, so I drove on. She was still there over an hour later after I’d been for a pint..

Those two instances make me stop and help whenever I see a driver in distress.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Yes but I always bear in mind my own safety, no point being an unnecessary casualty.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Help where it’s safe to, always easier as a passenger as your car then doesn’t become the problem.

I’ve been helped enough times when I had old and shit cars that it’s just paying it back

spooky_b329

I was stuck in traffic as a car had broken down on the entrance to a roundabout. Everyone was crossing the hatchings to get past. I stopped and blocked the traffic and pushed the car to the first exit (no one else helped despite waiting in the queue) but the driver didn’t really get it and tried to head to some parking spaces 50m up the road! I yelled at her to get it to the kerb and then I realised an ambulance on blues was about to get stuck behind my van, so I just gave the car a few hard shoves, yelled good luck and legged it back!!! I’ll normally only help if they are in danger (but if they are in danger you cannot do much except tell them to abandon the car without putting yourself in harm’s way) or causing a huge inconvenience to traffic.

boblo
    Free Member

I would and did… As a kid early winters morning out on my paper round. Man’s car wouldn’t start so I gave him a push. It burst into life and he promptly drove over me boik….🙃

Northwind

Help- I mean, I’m better equipped for it than most, got a rope and jump leads and some idea about how cars work so it’s worse if I don’t stop than most folks. Sometimes people totally freak out when you do stop though! Like, oh my god, not only am I broken down, now I’m going to get murdered.

When I had my wee crash this year, what was kind of lovely was that while not a single motorist stopped- not even to be witnesses or to see if we were dead- loads of random passersby did. Including a whole load of drunks and jakeys and wee neds, all of them really nice and helpful. Mr Man In A Car In A Suit, you have been outclassed by a tiny drunk 60 year old man with a scotmid bag full of purple cans.

Also, tell your colleague to get his shit together, there’s no excuse for us going hypo behind the wheel, more so if it’s fairly local.

breadcrumb

Good on you for helping.

Thanks, I would like to think someone would do the same for me/my family.

Also, tell your colleague to get his shit together, there’s no excuse for us going hypo behind the wheel, more so if it’s fairly local.

It scared the shit out of him, and the outcome could of been a lot worse. 3 month driving ban for him too. It was only the other week I heard he was diabetic, otherwise I wouldn’t of known what was going on, and to be honest I was only half sure it was a hypo.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’ll stop if safe

Whether I help or not depends firstly on the risk/injury either way they get help. If it’s just a stuck car then I apply the attitude test.

About 5 years ago I offered to move a car that was blocking the road for everyone as it was stuck sideways between a tree and another car. It was an easy pull out the way for a vehicle with traction(was in ice and snow)

Owner of the offending car that had just come over the hill at speed and slid into the other cars suggested we take photos incase I cause damage….. Yeah crack mate you can wait on the aa.

Mean while a few weeks ago I was driving home and someone completely missed an unsigned t junction and went over the bank 7ft into a ditch car vertical on end. They got assistance to make sure they got out the car and to safe location. Quite a number of cars passed prior to my arrival and even more passed while we waited on someone coming to pick the guy up without so much as an ask despite the underside of the car being all you saw as you drove up.

CountZero

I’d always stop and help, or at least assist if at all possible.

ourmaninthenorth

Whenever I can.

Last time I did anything was to retrieve someone whose car had died driving through a long and deep flood.

It was amazung the number of 4×4 drivers out arsing about in the flooded roads who wouldn’t stop or if the did then admitted they didn’t have any tow ropes….

jkomo

When I rolled my car into a ditch at night, the next car along stopped, and I had to stop about four different people who had stopped from clambering down to check if anyone was hurt.
    I stopped to help someone change a tyre who was stopped in the middle of the road with three kids in the car and cars passing inches away from her. I pushed it up onto the pavement first.
    If someone is already helping I won’t stop and get involved.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Ive stopped while cycling to push cars out of the way.
    Went to help a friends girl friend who’s car needed a jump start the other week , I was struggling on my own to push it so I could get to the battery. Loads of people just drove or walked on by until a nice old couple stopped and helped. Can’t have taken more than 2 minutes out of his day but made a huge difference to me

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Most recent for me was when a car in front of me had a blowout. I could see the tyre smoking and flashed my lights repeatedly, but he didn’t realise until it went pop!

I pulled in behind to offer my help – he lived nearby so took him and his tearful grandson home so they could arrange recovery from there rather than sitting in a car for an hour or so waiting for recovery.

He insisted I took a bottle of bubbly as a thank you – I refused but relented as it seemed more polite just to accept.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

my car went kaput at a roundabout in bad snow one year, I got out to push and steer it off the road and three guys got out of their cars to give me a push……i could not have been more thankful.

So, that’s a yes from me

tall_martin

In the beast from the east last year someone smashed their car into the central reservation in front of me.

They hit a patch of black ice and lost it.

I pulled in to help and a second car who also must have seen everything picked it’s way through the wreckage at 5mph before zooming off.

The driver was physically OK but very shaken. I stopped as it thought they were going to be a) dead b) mince c) both.

A pair of lorries stopped effectively closing the road, they shifted the biggest lumps off the road and I waited until the emergency services arrived.

To crash at 75 straight into the barrier and walk away with out a scratch looked incredibly lucky to me, I guess it’s a great deal of design in the barriers and the car!

oldtennisshoes

When I did my motorway pirouette earlier this year loads of people stopped to ask if I and the other vehicle’s occupants were ok. There wasn’t much anyone could do except wait for plod and the recovery trucks, but it was nice they showed an interest.

On the flip side, I seem to see lots of apparently broken down cars in awkward places where the occupants are making no attempt to get it out of the way. I can’t remember the last time I saw folk pushing a car to the side of the road. People just seem more resigned to waiting for the AA or whoever to turn up and move it for them.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve done it loads. Once I was on my way to a job interview what should have been a two hour drive, but I was stuck in a 1 hour jam. Turned out someone’s car had conked out on a dual carriageway hill blocking one lane. I stopped thinking that because it was on a hill she could roll it back and turn it into the verge to get out of everyone’s way. I stopped the traffic to let her do this, well it turned out her car still moved under its own steam anyway so she could just drive it onto the verge. FFS.

Once it was me having conked out on a roundabout, noone stopped to help me as I struggle to get the big car with power steering out of everyone’s way. Someone even beeped me. Bastard.

trumpton
    Free Member

My car broke down on a roundabout in rush hour and a young guy walking along offered a push. The rest of the cars were in such as rush to get home a few of them nearly went into the RAC van once upon the side of the road up on the kerb, despite all of the flashing lights on it!RAC driver showed my a picture of a written off RAC van where a car had driven into him on the hard shoulder.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Would you help a motorist in trouble?’ is closed to new replies.