Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 150 total)
  • Would You…? [helmet nazi content]
  • clubber
    Free Member

I’m not that interested TBH 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

haven’t seen the thread but thought it was about nazi helmets – not helemt nazis.

there was a guy at afan riding in what looked like a nazi replica helmet on saturday!! 😯

TooTall
    Free Member

It was instictive.

No it wasn’t. Jumping when you get a fright is instinctive. Breathing is instinctive. I do not believe an uncontrolable desire to meddle is actually instinctive. 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GrahamS

Graham, you haven’t factored in how relatively effective helmets are in preventing injury in car/cycling accidents…

True.

I am assuming that a proper crash helmet, as worn on motorcycles or by race car drivers, used in conjunction with the existing crumple zones, impacts bars, airbags etc, would be more effective than the bit of polystyrene and plastic worn by cyclists.

That may not be a valid assumption, but the figures are such that there is plenty of leeway:

Even if all 2,644 of the cyclists admitted had not been wearing helmets and bike helmets would have been 100% effective in preventing their injuries, then car helmets would still only need to 66% effective or better to prevent more injuries.

M6TTF
    Free Member

nope – it’s their choice to wear or not to wear. Nature will take care of the rest

D0NK

Nature will take care of the rest

Now I wear a helmet most of the time but I’ve got issues with the “you’re an idiot if you don’t” comments. Are people really falling off that much that they see it as suicidal to ride lidless? I fall over more walking than I do riding even if you ignore the pub related stumbles. I don’t wear a lid walking to the corner shop tho. My heads covered in scars none of them incurred on 2 wheels.
    Cycling really is viewed as a dangerous pass time, even by cyclists seemingly.

ps not having a go at you personally m6ttf you were just the last commentor.

BruceWee

Indeed, no one seems particularly up in arms if you go scrambling without a helmet and yet when it comes to cycling anyone who even glances at a bike without a helmet is a cretin who will cause untold misery to family members and friends when they are inevitably killed or brain damaged in a seemingly benign fall.

Don’t really understand why cyclist’s heads are so much more delicate.

molgrips
    Free Member

And why would that be? Could it be perhaps that we have to thread our way through ignorant drivers all the time and suffer near misses..?

And there’s a big difference between walking and cycling – when cycling, your safety is in OTHER PEOPLE’s hands.

GW
    Free Member

no it isn’t Molgrips.

Duggan

Genuinely don’t care what other people do, it’s entirely up to them

clubber
    Free Member

Relatively dangerous. I’ve done a lot of sport/activities. Cycling is the only one where I’ve hit my head hard (on four IIRC separate occassions). Seems sensible to me to wear a helmet, particularly as I think the helmet helped in those instances. I don’t wear pads of spine protectors though so clearly I’ve taken a view on risk/hassle/etc

GrahamS

And there’s a big difference between walking and cycling – when cycling, your safety is in OTHER PEOPLE’s hands.

Plenty of peds killed or injured by cars, even on the pavement!

D0NK

cars are everywhere while I admit there is slightly more chance of getting taken out on a bike you still run the risk of drivers mounting the pavement/running redlights anytime you venture out of the house whatever your form of transport, helmeted or otherwise.

Besides I thought we were (mostly) talking offroad, it’s just you vs the rocks there.

D0NK

Clubber I don’t have the stats but I thought football and rugby were worse than cycling – footy certainly is for me, especially if you factor time vs accidents.

clubber
    Free Member

Ah, well I’ve never played either of those 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cycling is not dangerous – relativity or absolutely.

Look to the links I posted that take you to discussions on relative risk.

Cycling is safe. Very small numbers of people killed in injured. its safer than gardening FFS!

Its so safe and so good for you that unhelmetd cyclists live longer than people who don’t cycle – ie the risks of death from cycling are much lower than the health benefits.

If helmets were made compulsory there would be at least 200 extra deaths a year due to the people giving up cycling that would die premature deaths from inactivity.

Its a tiny number of people who get serious head injuries from cycling – far less than do so from drinking! drinking helmets would save far more lives, walking helmets would save far more lives, driving helmets would save far more lives.

All this talk of cycling being dangerous and that you must wear a helmet puts people off cycling which is really stupid as cycling is so good for individuals and for society

Dickyboy

I go hashing – basically cross country on different trails every week often slippery & hilly in the Chilterns & in the dark for most of the year – no one wears a helmet.
    Same group of people go bashing (same thing but on a bike) once a month on a Sunday in daylight, probably similar risks & everyone wears a helmet.
    Think I’ll wear a helmet on the next hash & see what comments I get 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

You can’t say ‘relatively’ without stating relative to what. For me, it is relatively dangerous for the reasons I stated. That doesn’t make it dangerous compared to all other activities.

I do like the idea of drinking helmets though 🙂

GrahamS

TJ: I agree with your anti-helmet-compulsion argument, but I’ve got to pull you up on “its safer than gardening FFS!”

Really?

Based on absolute numbers or risk of injury per hour of activity type thing?

(for comparison in 2010 there were 111 cyclists killed and 2,660 seriously injured).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

relative to other sports.

Taking cycling as nominal risk of one.
    Less safe Airsports 450
    Climbing 137
    Motor sports 81
    Fishing 41
    Horse riding 29
    Swimming 7.0
    Athletics 5.7
    Football 4.9
    Tennis 4.2
    Cycling 1.0
    Safer Golf 0.83
    Rambling 0.06

Or in terms of fatalities / risk of dying

Deaths per year (GB)

Deaths per year

Cycling, road traffic accidents 138

Cycling, other 29

All transport 3,032

At home 3,974

Other accidents 5,026

Obesity (England only) 30,000

Heart disease due to inactivity 58,090

All heart disease 157,000

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

TJ: I agree with your anti-helmet-compulsion argument, but I’ve got to pull you up on “its safer than gardening FFS!”

Clearly flippant but actually shown in a couple of studies 🙂

Risk in past 30 days

Researchers polled 5,238 subjects by telephone, simply asking if they’d done any of a predetermined set of activities in the past 30 days. Those who answered “yes” for a given activity were asked further questions about it, including whether they were injured “severely enough that you went for medical care or missed one-half day or more of work, housework, or school.” Percentage injured results were: [1]
    Aerobics 1.4%
    Gardening 1.6%
    Walking for exercise 1.4%
    Weightlifting 2.4%
    Cycling 0.9%

The relative risk between gardening and cycling has been examined in another study. 1,337 people were surveyed for a report on sport and recreation injuries. One in six respondents had required medical treatment in this period, with 5% of gardeners having suffered injury warranting attention compared with 3.9% of cyclists. [2]

[1] Powell, K.E., “Injury rates from walking, gardenint, weightlifting, outdoor bicycling, and aerobics,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 1998, V. 30 pp. 1246-1249.
    [2] Study by Central Queensland University, Rockhampton, Australia. Reported January 2003.

clubber
    Free Member

I don’t do any of those relatively more dangerous sports. Therefore cycling, to me, is a relatively dangerous activity.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I got some nasty cuts from both brambles whilst gardening and also out on trails.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Have a look at this those who think it dangerous 🙂

http://www.bicyclinglife.com/SafetySkills/SafetyQuiz.htm

clubber – do you drink?

clubber
    Free Member

clubber – do you drink?

Indeed I do, however that’s probably also one of my relatively dangerous activities. I have however never hit my head while drunk. Or for that matter, injured myself. Luck maybe but in the 20+ years I’ve been doing both (which is an acceptable statistical sample I reckon), cycling’s coming out worse…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You balance me out nicely then. No head injury cycling at all, 3 from drinking, one leaving a permanent scar

Mind you cycling drunk? Never hurt myself. Maybe we have the answer – drink beer while cycling for safetys sake

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I rather like this one as well

A review of 2,546 patients under age 19 seen by pediatric neurosurgeons at the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta between 1996 and 2002 revealed 64 sports-related injuries, 15 of which were golf-related and 17 of which were bicycle-related.

clubber
    Free Member

Funnily enough I’ve also never hurt myself mtbing drunk (though I’ve never gone beyond about 3 pints). Maybe you’re onto something…

clubber
    Free Member

under 19s playing golf 😯 that’s shocking!

GrahamS

Researchers polled 5,238 subjects by telephone

Hmmmm… couple of issues there (from the abstract anyway): it only looks at whether they have been injured in the past 30 days, not at the frequency/duration of the activity or the severity of the injury.

If I say “Yes, I cycled once in the past 30 days, and I was decapitated to death after just 2 minutes” then I score the same as someone who says “Yes, I’ve gardened every day for the last 30 days and yesterday I sprained my wrist.”.

So it’s not a great study of actual risk – just expected injury rates in the population.

drink beer while cycling for safetys sake

Now you’re talking sense! 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Agreed Graham. I said it was flippant.

the second study is a little more meaningful – this is why you always need to follow the references to see what is actually being measured

GrahamS

the second study is a little more meaningful

Can’t find it based on that citation, but your wording suggests it suffers the same problem. It looks at whether participants were injured over a certain period, not over a certain duration of activity.

I said it was flippant.

Fair enough 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So – thru vigorous mass debateing we have reached a solution Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the TJ / STW safety helmet

Mike_D
    Free Member

I think that wearing a helmet whilst road riding is more important because the higher speeds and liklihood of being hit by something you’re not expecting would be more likely to result in an uncontrolled flinging about rather than a controlled bail that you see coming.

I reckon the reverse. Off-road it’s you against the ground at relatively low speeds and a helmet has a fair chance of doing something useful. On the road it’s you against cars and trucks. If you get mashed by an artic doing 50mph then the presence or otherwise of a helmet is largely irrelevant.

I wear a helmet for all forms of cycling all the time, even though I’ve had far worse cracks to the head from sailing, mending the car and fitting kitchens. People can be daft 😉

geebus
    Free Member

Seeing that I do airsports, climbing and motorsports – it seems I might as well ride naked on that spikey bike :P.

However I rather suspect those statistics are a tad biased – if you compare downhill moutain biking to, say, gentle paragliding, it might be a bit different.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

One of the real problems with all the stats on cycling is that mountainbiking and road biking are rarely separated out although one bit had 138 cycling deaths from RTA and 29 from “other” Dunno what they are tho.

Same as the risk of head injury when MTBing. common sense /logic says more injuries but less severe injuries offroad but I have found nothing to back this up and I know that one consultant neurosurgeon was concerned about the numbers of mountainbikers he was seeing with spinal injuries.

In all seriousness I think what we really need is more and better quality research both experimental and statistical analysis and a fresh look at helmet design in the light of modern knowledge.

really the knowledge base on this is not good enough

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

No, none of my business (unless it was something i’d organised).
    I rode bmx street/park/trails for years without one so havent got a high horse to get on.
    Used to be involved in a BMX race club and had to tell a few then, but that was more a club rule/insurance thing.
    These days i’m more likely to just mutter to myself :-).

It feels pretty weird to not wear one now on the odd occasion i ride to work/drop the van at the garage and forget to bring one.

molgrips
    Free Member

TJ – I am not closed minded, I just don’t agree with you. Is that allowed? You’re closed minded for not being able to accept that anyone disagrees with you. Very silly.

Anyway. I’ve never been nearly knocked down by a car walking, gardening, or anything else. Plus I’ve never seen people being injured except for either driving or cycling. Never feared for my safety apart from when cycling or climbing.

The sheer numbers of people who report being knocked off their bikes by cars on here tells you that there is a not insignificant risk. It’s one I accept and would not discourage anyone from doing but I choose to mitigate the risk of the worst kind of injury.

molgrips
    Free Member

I reckon the reverse. Off-road it’s you against the ground at relatively low speeds and a helmet has a fair chance of doing something useful. On the road it’s you against cars and trucks. If you get mashed by an artic doing 50mph then the presence or otherwise of a helmet is largely irrelevant

Ever seen a cyclist get taken out by a car? If you get smashed by an artic, then sure. What if you get knocked off by a car doing 20mph? The physics suggests that you’ll hit the ground hard and your head might well smack into the ground despite your best efforts. Hard, and fast.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Molgrips. Its safe – very safe indeed. Thats an obvious truth. I have on this and many other occasions given you the real data. It is not unsafe, its safer than driving, its safer than most sports.

You prefer your prejudices and instincts to real data. Up to you but don’t expect anyone to think its a sensible viewpoint. I am not closed minded – I look at the data and make my mind up.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘Would You…? [helmet nazi content]’ is closed to new replies.