Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • Would you give IDS a kicking?
  • cheekyboy
    Free Member

The Conservative Party got rid of IDS simply because he was probably too Conservative, the media stands between the public and the politicians and if the media dont like you and you dont kow tow to them then you are wasting your time. The modern conservatives are stuffed mainly with daft old buffers or silly neo-liberal rich types both of who care nothing for this country and its people, then again if we had a real Labour Party we may get a decent opposition.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

It does not matter your political hue we have a political class dynasty [ increasingly on all sides now] making rules for aspects of society they know nothing about.

Straw, Prescott, Dromey, Blair etc

5thElefant
    Free Member

They all deserve a kicking. Two years and they still haven’t cut anything. They are utterly useless. Stop spending money you don’t have.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Junkyard
    Free Member

Well strike me down Big N Daft only mentioned labour ones- Who would have thunk it

Are you saying the Tories are drawn from a broad spectrum of Society or not dynastic – that should be a fun argument

It was a comment on general and it tragic the right wingers can only criticise the left wing ones when their party is by far the worse of the two ,Labour are catching them up.
    It was a general point not a political [party] one.

Northwind

ernie_lynch – Member

How about Scotland’s recurring mistake………giving birth to politicians such as IDS ?

Hah, he was born here but he left as soon as he could and he doesn’t seem to want to come back

wobbliscott
    Free Member

There is plenty of work out there. It may not be some people’s idea of what they WANT to do, but sometimes you’ve just got to do it, and there is a definite skills gap as too many people have wasted their university years doing courses that are of no use to anyone in the real world, so the unemployment issue is not necessarily due to a job shortage, its a mix of reasons. The engineering industry for example, is crying out for high calibre engineers, but there is a chronic shortage. I think 2 years is more than enough time for someone to have looked for work or get re-trained before having to give something back.

The simple reality is we can no longer afford the welfare state so we need to wean people off it. We’ve got a worse debt to GDP ratio than Greece, Italy, Ireland Spain and Portugal. That is a reality any government of the day will have to deal with, so don’t expect anything different from any other party despite what they promise to win your vote. At least the Tories have been consistent in their message that they intend to tackle the difficult economic crisis we face.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It will always be the case that MPs will make rules that affect lifestyles that they have never and probably never will experience. It would be impossible to imagine otherwise. Should we suggest that the only people who can vote on benefits are those that have spent time on benefits, or inheritance tax and have large estates that they need to plan for, or only immigrants can got on immigration, football season ticket holders on safety in football grounds. That would be a weird Parliament to watch.

May seems more incompetent than evil. She is the Tories Prescott. A token appointment, promoted well above her capabilities, incapable of executing policy successfully, Teflon coated given the number of errors made and largely harmless were it not for the roles they hold/held. Time will tell if Milliband is labours’ IDS.

Among all of is, the fact that governments seem incapable of implementing IT projects successfully seems to have gone largely unnoticed. Yet one more example of incompetence and waste.

I wish we could away from the notion that these people are our rulers or leaders. They are not. They are our representatives and their job is to serve us not the other way round. Cameron’s well deserved recent bloody noses are hopefully good examples of how this lesson needs to be learned. MPs know our place!

Junkyard
    Free Member

There is plenty of work out there.

Your right it just they cannot be arsed 🙄

The simple reality is we can no longer afford the welfare state

That is BS in general and the cost for the unemployed are nothign like waht folk think and a small % of the DwP budget

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The Tories have done what they said they would…..really? That seems at odds with what has happened IMO. Consistent message? Again not on the deficit, debt levels of monetary and fiscal policy.

Well is suppose you could credit them with re-inflating the housing market, which is just what the economy needs?!?!?!

Northwind

wobbliscott – Member

There is plenty of work out there. It may not be some people’s idea of what they WANT to do, but sometimes you’ve just got to do it

There are 2 and a half million people unemployed, and 3 million underemployed. Are there 3 million roles waiting to be filled? Or are you, in fact, talking incredible pish.

(if you’re unsure, it’s the second one, hth)

binners

Time will tell if Milliband is labours’ IDS.

Millibean looks like a potential PM in the same way I look like a future Tour de France winner. He’s worse than useless! And as the next election approaches the Tory Press will gleefully remind everyone of the fact on a minute-by-minute basis.

I just struggle to see what the labour party is for at all, any more. It certainly doesn’t seem to know. It represents nothing other than a large, dim-witted, collective “……erm……”. Any opposition worthy of the name would be running rings around this lot. If not for their pure spitefull nastiness, then for its biblical scale incompetence! It looks like IDS’s much trumpeted Universal Benefit is descending into an expensive, non-workable shambles. And what has the labour party got to say on the matter? Who knows? The silence is daefening. They’re utterly devoid of ideas or alternatives

At least the Tories make no pretense to be anything other than the champions of the rich, to the detriment of everyone else, who they frankly couldn’t give a toss about

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Well strike me down Big N Daft only mentioned labour ones- Who would have thunk it

Rees Mogg, care to name any more, oh yes Benn, happy to take more names

Junkyard
    Free Member

The tories economic plan did not work

[tannoy]TJ TO THE FORUM[?tannoy]

It would be impossible to imagine otherwise

Impossible to imagine! Not only is it not impossible its not actually hard.

Your next bit is a bit of straw man as I am not saying that but if you want to represent* then they should be representative rather than drawn from a narrow strata of society.

*that is a very good comment you made there . Please pull me up on that if I ever do it again as i will strive to always say representatives – not sarcasm to be clear.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

At least the Tories make no pretense to be anything other than the champions of the rich

😕

If that were true they would stand zero chance of winning a general election.

It is precisely because they manage to convince a sufficient amount of hopelessly naive and gullible members of the electorate otherwise, that they stand any chance at all.

binners

That’s the irony though Ernie. They didn’t convince enough half-wits at the last election either. They’ve no mandate for any of this. But do they look like they care?

tinybits
    Free Member

@slowoldgit

In my line, it’s 75% people improving there current house, with 25% doing work to one they’ve just bought. Houses are selling again (in the South west) and people are starting to spend cash in quite serious amounts, a typical project for me is £25k, and I do 15 a week, which is a world away from 2008!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Thanks, tinybits, I’m hoping to sell in Wessex and that’s slightly good news, first in yonks.

El-bent
    Free Member

The simple reality is we can no longer afford the welfare state so we need to wean people off it.

I’d agree with the above on one point. Tax credits. Pay people a liveable working wage, but once again we are subsidising business.

Other than that, we can afford it, if everyone pays their way. unfortunately, contrary to what others say about the wealthy paying more, the tax burden is falling more and more on the lower orders, while “others” are getting away with it.

The Tories have done what they said they would…..really? That seems at odds with what has happened IMO. Consistent message? Again not on the deficit, debt levels of monetary and fiscal policy.

Well is suppose you could credit them with re-inflating the housing market, which is just what the economy needs?!?!?!

This lot only had one real plan from the start: use the economic crisis to privatise state assets and line the pockets of the likes of Serco and G4s. Someone else can sort out the debt problems, that someone being us plebs.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

This lot only had one real plan from the start: use the economic crisis to privatise state assets

the state should be owning high street and investment banks?

Junkyard
    Free Member

No they should have left the market to sort it out because it is perfect

big_n_daft
    Free Member

unfortunately, contrary to what others say about the wealthy paying more, the tax burden is falling more and more on the lower orders, while “others” are getting away with it.

HMRC must be part of the conspiracy then

Labour Taxed Poor More and Rich Less Than Coalition

Junkyard
    Free Member

Flashy used to do this, turn up on threads and no matter what was said about anything just slag of labour.
    Did they not cut the higher rate from the one that labour set up – the one that means the rich are paying more ?
    Did the lib dems not insist on the raising on the threshold to 10 k or no tax cut for the rich – hence lower rates for the less well off.

The only Tory policy here seems to have been to cut the tax rate from 50- 45 % for the “rich”.

To be clear Labour were shit at not helping the poor as well. I remain unconvinced Tories even GAS about them though. If you could point me in the direction of a policy they have done or manifesto pledge you could convince me- see if you can do it without mentioning labour 😉

yunki
    Free Member

ah go on then.. I’ll have a go

I haven’t got a very hard punch but I’m quite tenacious, I reckon I could probably wear him down eventually if I employ some psychotic rage to psych him out a bit..
    He doesn’t look like he’s got much fight in him past a bit of ill-conceived moral outrage and bluster..

allthepies
    Free Member

Did they not cut the higher rate from the one that labour set up

How soon after coming into office did Labour introduce that 50% top rate ?

A month, a year ? Na, about a month before they left office. Just a political game.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Absolutely it was a deeply cynical move designed to harm the Tories who either had to tax the rich which they hate or reduce the tax and suffer bad PR. It was politics not principle

Still remains the Tories contribution was to reduce the tax rate on the higher taxes but again we are left discussing/criticising labour 🙄

cinnamon_girl

Well on the flip side, my order book (home improvements) is fuller than it has ever been, I’ve been able to give 2 payrises in 12 months to my factory (5% total) and I’m reinvesting in the next round if improvements for the next 10 years. I reckon the jobs being done quite well thanks. Oddly, almost no one wants to work ANY additional hours for more money, so I guess they are all paid enough for a 40hr week…

In my line, it’s 75% people improving there current house, with 25% doing work to one they’ve just bought. Houses are selling again (in the South west) and people are starting to spend cash in quite serious amounts, a typical project for me is £25k, and I do 15 a week, which is a world away from 2008!

Yes, it’s interesting isn’t it. I put my (Wiltshire) house on the market fully expecting a struggle to sell but it went under offer within 3 days. In fact the day that it went on the market there were two viewings.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ernie, to be accurate, IDS said: “Do not underestimate the determination of a quiet man.”

Which is much more apposite as it is quite clear that he is determined to deliver the Universal Credit when most would have abandoned such a an excellent but extremely difficult idea long ago.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Are you saluting his indefatigability then 😉

binners

CG – That’s because we’ve a government who have given up on promoting any real economic growth, and have instead fallen back on artificially inflating another housing bubble with the frankly bonkers scheme to guarantee deposits for people who can’t afford houses prospective first time buyers.

So Osbourne’s genius idea is to recreate the sub-prime housing market, but to cut the banks out, and leave the taxpayer directly liable for the losses when the whole thing inevitably goes tits up!

Inspired!

Stoner
    Free Member

I am indeed, Junky.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Thanks Stoner, I stand corrected.

So anyway……..”Do not underestimate the determination of a quiet man” IDS once famously said, but it seems the Tories quickly realised that they had in fact completely overestimated him, no matter how determined he might have been, and promptly sacked him soon after that.

Stoner
    Free Member

that’s much better.

Although to overestimate him is not the same as to overestimate his determination. Obviously. 😉

cinnamon_girl

binners – completely agree with you! My buyers were first-time buyers and pretty certain that they got a big handout from Mummy and Daddy too.

I’ll say it again, I could quite happily murder the Tories. They haven’t got a bl**dy clue.

yunki
    Free Member

I hope he isn’t too determined.. 😯

My entire fighting strategy relies on him folding quite quickly.. 😕

binners

I don’t often find myself agreeing with an EU finance minister, but he described it as the most insane economic policy he’d ever seen. And that’s from the people who gave us the Euro!

The Tories – busy recreating the baseless, debt-fuelled housing boom that really will bankrupt this country this time. Not that’ll effeCt them and their mates. Like it didn’t last time. Hurray for Eton!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Personally i wouldn’t kick him..
    Much rather skin him slowly and carefully, roll his still twitching corpse in salt and then nail his flayed pelt to the walls of the Commons chamber as a polite reminder of the price of incompetence.

binners

Maybe his Tory grandee father in law can foot the bill for the £34 million of our money his dippy scheme has already written off, and the doubtless billions its going to end up costing, to archive the sum total of **** all other than reminding the plebs to know their place? 🙄

Northwind

When the Singletrack Facepunching Mob turns up, it’ll be interesting to find out how much of his army training he remembers 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

I hope to get him when he looks upwards on hearing the command bring forth the bombers…might even wee on his shoes whilst he is doing it

El-bent
    Free Member

HMRC must be part of the conspiracy then

http://order-order.com/2012/12/12/labour-taxed-poor-more-and-rich-less-than-coalition/

You post to that blog and you expect me to take you seriously? Big, I don’t know, daft, definitely.

Incidently, it those figures only show direct taxation, not indirect, which under this Government has gone up, which impact the lower orders a damn sight more than those at the top.

So thank you for re-enforcing what I said.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Would you give IDS a kicking?’ is closed to new replies.