Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • Would you give IDS a kicking?
  • bencooper
    Free Member

A thought prompted by this:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/sep/06/uk-lowest-paid-classed-not-working-enough

But really brought on by pretty much everything the coalition is doing at the moment. Not voting for the buggers didn’t work, trying to reason with them doesn’t work, independent reports criticising them, or statistics showing they’re wrong don’t work.

So, if the opportunity presented itself, would you give Ian Duncan Smith (or any politician) a good kicking to make them feel, for a moment, a fraction of the pain, fear and suffering they cause others?

I like to think I would, but I’d probably chicken out.

crankboy
    Free Member

I am opposed to violence and do not believe in smacking children . I could punch IDS for a week without a twinge of regret.

project
    Free Member

Like babies nappies, politicians should be changed ,when the contents are seen as obnoxious to most people, and like babies politicians sometimes contain large piles of CRAP, which spurts prematurely out and leaves a nasty mess.

Time for a change ids,YOURE OBVIOUSLY NOT WORKING HARD ENOUGH AND GETING PAID FAR TOO MUCH.

cinnamon_girl

I would happily murder the lot of them.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’d rather leave the Tory party on a small island with no-one else and see how it all pans out. Like Lord of the Flies, but with worse government.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I think I’d settle for the majority of the Tory party lined up and then getting to run back and forth smacking them in the face with a rake!

cheekyboy
    Free Member

There is far too much emphasis on work, surely if someone does not wish to work then they ought not to be expected. Life is far too short to be a wageslave all of your best years.

Why can`t we just tax big business and rich people, they can afford it.

Edukator
    Free Member

These “would” threads are amusing and indicative of the same ill whether they concern politicians or cute bums. A clear demonstration that people would rather live in a fantasy world than do anything.

bencooper
    Free Member

A clear demonstration that people would rather live in a fantasy world than do anything.

In some ways you’re right – but what would you advocate doing? I’m voting for, and campaigning for, Scottish independence – but if we get that it’ll still leave the rest of you in the mess.

The democratic system is broken. What can we as individuals do to fix it?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

cheekyboy – must be trolling

Edukator – That’s the British way. I was talking to a builder the other week – he was saying his wages had been cut to the bone in the “Financial Crisis”, yet his bosses were paid the same as before. I said “Is there not a union, or can you organise a protest?” “I don’t like to cause trouble,

“I really can’t be bothered, it might be difficult” etc etc etc came the replies.

binners

It really is tough to decide which one of the present Tories is the most deserving of the first slap/punch/assault with bombers/bullet. The whole lot of them are utterly loathsome to a frankly ridiculous degree.

I think Gove would get it first though, because he’s not from the usual toff background, so he really has no excuse

Though IDS is running him close. He likes to speak of his time looking for work when he came out of the army. As if he understands what its lke to live on the dole. Though its considerably easier if you’re married to landed gentry who’s daddy gave you a £2 million quid country pile to live in

****s the lot of them!!!

unknown
    Free Member

There is far too much emphasis on work, surely if someone does not wish to work then they ought not to be expected. Life is far too short to be a wageslave all of your best years.

Troll much?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Two things I suggest:-

a legal requirement to vote, and no cabinet reshuffles. You are either very well qualified for your position [for example a Masters+/work your way up to it, live it] or you can bugger off.

I think that would be a good start.

binners

What I’d love to do is make the lot of them spend the rest of their days living the life they’ve condemned other people too.

So Dave, George and chums can forget their inherited fortunes, skiing holidays and Chipping Norton Kitchen suppers. Instead they can live in a damp one bedroom flat in a grim tower block in some crime-riddled shithole, with incredibly short-tempered, violent neighbours, getting by on benefits, and not a penny more

That would be real justice!

bencooper
    Free Member

a legal requirement to vote

Agreed – but only if there’s a “none of the above” option, otherwise it just entrenches the current system.

fatmax

Yes, the Tories are a loathsome lot.
    But Labour were awful too.
    And I voted Lib Dem at the last election and couldn’t be more disappointed.
    Alex Salmond is a slimy little prick of a man.
    I think it was Billy Connelly said to only vote for someone you’d like to sit in the pub and have a pint with…not sure if I’d like to do that with any of them, certainly not Ed.
    I always liked Charles Kennedy…but its probably not best to take him to the pub!
    In summary I don’t like politicians!

Edukator
    Free Member

Arlette Laguiller lived on the 13th floor of an HLM throughout her political career.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Of course I am trolling, but do you have a solution apart from assaulting folk ?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Looks like they were right about the economy though and that labour were wrong.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Of course there should be a “None of the above”, we definitely need that option.

bencooper
    Free Member

Of course I am trolling, but do you have a solution apart from assaulting folk ?

No, do you?

It’s not a solution, but it would be cathartic.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

There was an MP who quite famously got pelted with bread rolls by shoppers in a supermarket. It was at the time of the pensions swindle. There’s one who felt the opinion of (some of) the electorate.

glupton1976
    Free Member

It really is tough to decide which one of the present Tories is the most deserving of the first slap/punch/assault with bombers/bullet.

Nah – to keep in line with their cost cutting policies I’d line them up so that one shot could take as many of them out as possible. Thankfully scottish independence will rid us of that lot forever.

br
    Free Member

If you cut through the crap and PR what he is actually proposing (ie one system, one payment, amount dependent on need) is actually sensible, should reduce admin costs and will highlight (for those in work) the subsidy paid by taxpayers to their employer.

I’m as left-wing as they come, but the basic premise is correct.

Plus it will highlight the stupidity of Browns’ tax-credit policy, where rather than aim for lower taxes he went for higher taxes and then credits back – with an incredible complicated and expense set of processes/systems to back them up.

tinybits
    Free Member

Well on the flip side, my order book (home improvements) is fuller than it has ever been, I’ve been able to give 2 payrises in 12 months to my factory (5% total) and I’m reinvesting in the next round if improvements for the next 10 years. I reckon the jobs being done quite well thanks. Oddly, almost no one wants to work ANY additional hours for more money, so I guess they are all paid enough for a 40hr week…

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Plus it will highlight the stupidity of Browns’ tax-credit policy, where rather than aim for lower taxes he went for higher taxes and then credits back – with an incredible complicated and expense set of processes/systems to back them up.

Brown was trying to create a dependence on the state so people wouldn’t vote for a reduction in it and therefore a perceived “cut” to their income. Reducing taxes would have cut the dependancy

slowoldgit
    Free Member

@ tinybits

It’s good to hear your news. Do you think this is a consequence of people moving house (and possibly to one needing attention), or to people staying put and improving / extending?

BigJohn

IDS is one of the few Tory MPs who seems to talk sense. Like Hague, being an ex-leader has given him a sense of perspective and a lack of toadying ambition.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Brown was trying to create a dependence on the state so people wouldn’t vote for a reduction in it and therefore a perceived “cut” to their income. Reducing taxes would have cut the dependancy

He tried and succeeded to a certain extent. A benevolent government requires a subservient and appreciative populace, thats the agenda of left wing politics.

Coyote
    Free Member

I am not a violent person by nature but any time I see IDS, Gidiot, Alexander (D) or Gove or even hear them I am overcome with a desire to inflict endless pain on their hideous frames.

Cameron and Clegg to a lesser degree. Miliband just makes me shake my head in despair.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I wouldn’t advocate kicking anyone, but the real villains as usual are the headline writers. Another example of a headline that bears little resemblance to the facfs. Broadsheets are becoming as bad as e red tops and the Beeb!

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s difficult to see past IDS for the most black hearted, uncaring MP, but I’d say Theresa May is my least favourite. The woman is pure evil, only a notch down from Hitler I reckon. Her attitude toward immigrants and human rights is absolutely appalling, it staggers me that people have looked at all the candidates in their constituency and looked at her and gone “yep, she’s definitely the best person to represent our views, she can only do good things”.

She’s currently trying to support the unlawful policy on marriage visas that the Tories introduced last year. She’s appealing a high court ruling saying “these rules are unlawful, they are against the European Human Right to a family life”. She seems completely happy to tear apart legitimate families in the name of lowering the immigrant quota so thickhead right wing Terry from Essex is happy.

Bencooper at least has the option to vote his way out of being ruled by Westminster and creating a separate country that will never vote Conservative. This, to my mind, is the best thing about an independent Scotland.

Coyote
    Free Member

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

IDS is one of the few Tory MPs who seems to talk sense. Like Hague, being an ex-leader has given him a sense of perspective and a lack of toadying ambition.

There’s a very good reason why he’s an “ex-leader”. As leader of the Conservative Party he completely failed to impress the public. The Tories got rid of him at the first opportunity.

“Don’t underestimate the quiet man” he once famously said, it seems the Tories quickly realised that they had in fact overestimated him.

nick1962
    Free Member

A quick google will show you how much the rich and big business actually pay towards the state. No doubt you and others will be surprised at how much the state depends on them to keep functioning.

Yes reducing the size and cost of the state
    AFAIK The UK state spends more as a % of GDP than the Communist Chinese government.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Bencooper at least has the option to vote his way out of being ruled by Westminster and creating a separate country that will never vote Conservative. This, to my mind, is the best thing about an independent Scotland.

I would have thought the centre right could rebrand post independence and then re enter Scottish politics as an effective force. It’s the current “brand” which is the issue

but I’d say Theresa May is my least favourite. The woman is pure evil, only a notch down from Hitler I reckon. Her attitude toward immigrants and human rights is absolutely appalling,

compare her to the average Australian Politian of any hue and she’s positively pro immigration 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

I would have thought the centre right could rebrand post independence and then re enter Scottish politics as an effective force.

The Scottish Conservatives were seriously considering dropping the word “Conservative” from their name.

I don’t think it’s branding – Scotland is just not right-wing enough for the Tories, no matter what they call themselves.

Northwind

Very simple- underemployment is now at a record high, unemployment is still extremely high, so targeting workers for “not working enough” is either insane or disgusting. You can’t take extra shifts or higher paying work that doesn’t exist, or force people into different work when those who actually want the jobs can’t get them.

And where these low paid jobs need doing, if the conclusion is that people doing them don’t earn enough then moving them on obviously doesn’t resolve the problem at all because someone else will have to take their place, only paying a living wage actually changes anything.

Should we punch IDS? Probably not, it’d solve nothing. Should those who can, living in a country that rejected his party and his thinking 60 years ago, vote to be free of this bilge? Course we should. Much more productive than violence and anger, just wash our hands of england’s recurring mistake.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Brown was trying to create a dependence on the state so people wouldn’t vote for a reduction in it and therefore a perceived “cut” to their income.

Everyone is dependent on the state. Think police, defence and prisons if you are right wing for examples

Reducing taxes would have cut the dependancy

TBH i think it was way of allowing companies to underpay their staff. In some way it was like giving our taxes to them in terms of profits due to reduced costs

Occasionally the Tories come up with some good idea but this is not one of them
    The issue of low pay is not one where the people are happy to be low paid. If anything they are the victims and punishing them will achieve nothing

I agree with Binners and others. It does not matter your political hue we have a political class [ increasingly on all sides now] making rules for aspects of society they know nothing about. What % of our MP’s have experienced low pay? live in areas where low pay and minimal hours is an issue? Live in social housing? We have folk ruling us who have not experienced anything like the lifestyles they want to “help”
    The tories knee jerk reaction is always to blame the poor as if they choose to get shit wages rather than realise that companies like to exploit the labour market. high unemployment and limited legislation allows them to this even more than usual.
    Its cheaper for a company to have folk on less than FT hours generally due to the NI threshold hence why there is more PT or underemployment

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Should those who can, living in a country that rejected his party and his thinking 60 years ago, vote to be free of this bilge? Course we should. Much more productive than violence and anger, just wash our hands of england’s recurring mistake.

How about Scotland’s recurring mistake………giving birth to politicians such as IDS ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Would you give IDS a kicking?’ is closed to new replies.