Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Would you buy a Trek Re:Activ shock?
  • faz71

I need a rear shock for my Remedy (still!) and as my budget is not much I have looked to see what is available used and have noticed a few Re:Activ shocks on eBay.
    Now I know anything second hand carries a bit of risk but are these any worse than a standard shock? The benefit is I know they will fit (230×57.5, MM tune, standard lower mount) but does the Re:Activ gubbins just complicate things?

titusrider
    Free Member

My reactive on my 2019 remedy 9.9 destroyed itself. Sent it in for a service and they said it was a write off due to internal scoring in the body. Got a warranty replacement but it was ages coming so ordered an ohlins coil to put on instead. Now just keep the reactive as a spare/xc days option. Can you find a coil in budget? I’ve been amazed by the transformation!

rstephenson
    Free Member

I had one on a 2017 Fuel ex and it had a knock getting in and out of its travel. Apparently quite common with them. Doesn’t affect performance supposedly but a bit annoying. Might be why there are several on ebay.

Northwind

Mine is an older Remedy and on that bike it’s a big part of why it’s so bloody brilliant, the entire rear suspension setup is the best I’ve ever ridden. I don’t like this sort of specific shock usually but my case it totally paied off. But I can’t say if the same will apply for a different bike. (i’ve a feeling that every version of my bike came with a reactiv drcv shock- there were variations like kashima, air can size and I’m lucky to have the posh one but I think it was all designed to work together)

I think the actual Re:activ bit is basically really simple?

faz71

@Northwind, I take it yours is a Fox then? Most of the ones I’ve seen are Rockshox

Northwind

Yeah, I think all the first gen ones were Fox.

richwales

No complaints on the rockshox one on my slash -when it worked. after about 18 months it started to weep oil and sounded wheezy. when I tried to get a service TF tuned couldn’t do it due to parts availability. Ive since bought a super deluxe coil and much prefer it – plus I shouldn’t have to worry when (if) it needs a service. I’d be wary of buying a used reakitv

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a Trek Re:Activ shock?’ is closed to new replies.