Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Would you buy a Huawei phone?
  • footflaps

Outside of the fruit-based ecosystem I can’t offhand think of any phone manufacturer who promises handset updates longer than two years after launch.

yep very impressed than my Jesus Phone 6s is still getting updates and still runs reasonably well afterwards…

Daffy

A billion potential phone and OS sales lost for US companies

Not really. Apple is currently at 11% and falling by about 1% per quarter. The rest is predominantly Chinese brands anyway.

Production costs in China are increasing. Apple has already relocated some production, I think part of the reason for the dramatic cost change in the X is to prepare the market for US production with only a gentle increase in cost when it happens.

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

“Android” what we know as the operating system is open source. Huawei is allowed to continue using this. This is more accurately known as ASOP.

So Huawei is free to build phones using this, (like amazon does with its fire os) what it can’t do is call it android. Android is a brand name and you can only call your phone android if it is certified to use the play store and google apps (maps, assistant, gmail). It is the propriety google stuff they have been banned from using. They have had their certification removed for future devices.

For China this is not much of a problem, because google is restricted and everyone uses wechat to provide the services that the play store provides.

Elsewhere is the issue. Most apps created for “android” rely on google code for such things as push notifications, location services etc. So you cannot easily build another store and get developers to drop their apps into it.

This is what is going to be the hard thing for Huawei. Creating an operating system – easy just use asop. Creating an App Store – easy. Getting third parties to develop for it – very hard.

Also remember that this ban impacts all us companies. Intel will not be able to provide chips. Huawei builds its own mobile chips, but their Pc business might be screwed.

If anyone thinks that this move will suddenly yield a competitor to google and apple outside of China is deluded.

kelvin

Most of what you one would identify as being core apps and OS functionality on a ‘droid phone has long since been moved from the open source to the proprietary google libraries.

Klunk
    Free Member

Getting third parties to develop for it – very hard.

depends, might be quite financially rewarding for a company to operate in a Google free zone

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

It’ll be fine so long as you don’t start sending pictures of Winnie the Poo.

R.lepecha

Everyone is talking about Huawei, but have they forgotten Lenovo own Motorola Mobility(the smart phone part of the brand), and guess where they are head quartered…. China.
    No one is concerned about buying a Motorola because theres a long history of the brand.

hodgynd
    Free Member

To answer the original question ..yes I would ..and if in some small way it helped to annoy good ol Donny boy ..fantastic ..job done

Cougar

This is more accurately known as ASOP.

And even more accurately known as AOSP. (-:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They won’t have access to the Apps source code, nor the back end servers etc…

Other way around, app developers could easily swap the line of code that says “ask Google location services for location” with “ask huawei location services for location” etc.

The problem with new apps only being on Apple or Android because it takes as long to transfer it as it does to make it from scratch might not be there as android apps already have to run on a variety of hardware and variations of OS.

CountZero

I **** hate to say it, I hate Apple fanbois and all their utterly blind devotion to the brand,

Surely that just as easily applies to people like you with your devotion to Android?
    Everything I do at work relies on an app running on Samsung devices, phones or tablets. They’re utter crap. You never know from one day to the next whether the sodding things are going to work properly, they have a camera, but no flash to allow them to be used in the dark, which we have to do in winter, as we’re all outdoors, on some of them, when you take photos, and get to the end of a vehicle appraisal, when you complete it crashes the app, but only on some devices; they’ll suddenly lock up, or the screen starts jumping around.
    I had to try four different tablets one morning, because each one failed in different ways, before I found one that would actually allow me to do my job! That was forty minutes after I was supposed to start work.
    I’ve been using Apple stuff since the late 90’s, iphones since the 3G, and I’ve got an iPad 3 and 10.5” Pro; never, ever, have I had any serious issues: at work, I never know, from one minute to the next, whether I’m going to be able to do my job properly, the devices are essential to track the movements and location of approximately 3000 vehicles. I’ve been almost reduced to tears of anger and frustration due to these shitty Samsung/Android devices I’m given to use, that’s rarely happened with Apple devices.

granny_ring

Looks like I timed that perfectly getting my P20 pro 3 weeks ago on contract then……

TiRed

It’s just a trade war. With a temporary license revoked and regranted so they can run software updates on the system. That says it all really. I don’t believe security is the issue here. After all, the most recent big thing was the WhatsApp spyware from that other enemy of the United States errrr….

FuzzyWuzzy

Part of what we do with via him is external and mobile device security, Android is a nightmare – effectively if you want staff to use Android safely you need to tie the thing down so it’s near useless. Even something as innocent as having Facebook on a device that can access secure data is difficult to manage, but give users unlimited access to install anything from the various places you can get apps from? Not a chance.

Not strictly true, certainly iOS is easier to secure but we run Android phones to a certain level of classification (using Blackberry UEM to effectively partition it). Granted it’s still not accredited to run at secret level but that’s down to more then just the OS on the phone. We actually piloted iPhones for the project but although successful (in conjunction with AirWatch) it was cost-prohibitive to use them.

Personally I use an iPhone, I’m not a fanboi but I like that everything just works. I’d consider a Huawei phone for personal use as a budget phone but not if I was spending £500+ and intended to keep it for 2-3 years

footflaps

Other way around, app developers could easily swap the line of code that says “ask Google location services for location” with “ask huawei location services for location” etc.

Most of the value in Google Maps is the TBs of data Google has accumulated as well as real time access to millions of handsets and their speed etc. Just look how much trouble Apple had starting from scratch with maps and it’s still way behind Google. Likewise corporates will want access to Exchange / Google Docs depending on their preference, so no corporate handset sales. Ecosystem is everything.

Plus if you’re an App developer, why bother with Huawei, the users will just migrate to Samsung etc, and you don’t need to write a single extra line of code to support that…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

This is more accurately known as ASOP

*AOSP

edhornby

“Looks like I timed that perfectly getting my P20 pro 3 weeks ago on contract then……” As Cougar says there’s nothing to worry about for the moment really. The OS on the phone will have the updates flowing so just make sure they keep being applied.

Cougar

Surely that just as easily applies to people like you with your devotion to Android?
    Everything I do at work relies on an app running on Samsung devices, phones or tablets. They’re utter crap.

Thing is, well, this is the Mac vs PC argument all over again. People spend four figures on a Mac, then say how so much better it is than a £300 PC. Of course it is, go throw two and a half grand at a Windows laptop and get back to me.

I don’t know what models of Samsung devices you’ve got, but I’ll bet you’ve not paid iMoney prices for them. They’ve made some right pups over the years and whilst I’m a “fan” of Android I wouldn’t have a Samsung handset if you paid me.

CountZero

I don’t know what models of Samsung devices you’ve got, but I’ll bet you’ve not paid iMoney prices for them.

Samsung Galaxy Tab A, and no, I’d guess they aren’t close to iPad prices, but I’d expect them to actually function, and for the camera to have a flash in 2019!
    I’d expect them to function, basically, and they don’t.

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

Google admitted a couple of years back they read every gmail, Amazon finally admitted they listen, as did Apple IIRC (and I may not via home speakers), rumour mill was Facebook use the mic and camera in machines to place better ads (IIRC some chap in Shetland did some testing) so they’re all at it – possibly paranoia from Trump (surely not)

I do wonder if it is only ouw own naivety that expects the tech companies to not exploit us in some way

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Bought too many Apple accessories and apps.

Easy to use and not worrying about security compared to Android but then is any OS secure?

Apple customer service, recalls, updates and worldwide warranty is brilliant.

Replaced my iPhone and iPad no quibbles. When I was in Sydney, they replaced my overheating iPhone with a newer model 2 weeks before it was out of warranty. Customer for life.

New phone prices are silly. Still have my X and not upgrading yet.

damascus
    Free Member

I run a Huawei phone (p9 lite) I’ve had it 3 years and it’s been a good phone apart from the strava issue but I’ve got a garmin.

I’m due a new phone and as I do a lot of outdoors I don’t want an expensive phone.

I was ready to buy a new Huawei phone but this has really put me off.

One thing that surprised me is I haven’t seen any big discounts on Huawei phones. I guess the market is waiting to see what happens.

Flaperon

Apple customer service, recalls, updates and worldwide warranty is brilliant.

No ads is a big bonus and the thing that will probably see my next phone being an iPhone.

Google are gradually introducing them into the news feed on their own launcher, and the Play Store sends constant push notifications which can’t be disabled, even with the new granular permission controls in Android Q. It’s almost impossible to differentiate ads in Google search results on Pixel phones now as well, as the only difference is a tiny icon saying “Ad” in the top corner of the result box.

Gmail also gets ads everywhere, which I can understand on the web version or generic Android client, but not on a Pixel phone where a premium price is paid for a purer Android experience.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a Huawei phone?’ is closed to new replies.