Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Would you buy a Huawei phone?
  • franksinatra

Until recently I would have done. I couldn’t care less if the Chinese government want to spy on me. They will get very bored of my messages very quickly. Today’s news though is a game changer. No way would I buy and Android phone that was not supported by Google.

The current position must be pretty terminal for Huawei, or have I misread the situation?

What do you think?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Link to news article would be good ..😁

scruff9252

This move smacks more of protectionism of Apple products and an attempt to thwart them being overtaken by huawei than a stance on protecting your data.

PJay
    Free Member

It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out. One news report I saw was suggesting that China could make things very difficult for Apple whose IPhones are made in China.

MSP

This move smacks more of protectionism of Apple products and an attempt to thwart them being overtaken by huawei than a stance on protecting your data.

I don’t think it is protectionism of apple specifically, I doubt trumps team even considered the smart phone market this is just collateral damage, but I do think it is about trade war.

Apple is one of the few companies that have stood up to successive US governments demands for their own backdoor access to to user data.

tails
    Free Member

Aren’t Foxconn shifting production to India as china is too expensive.

franksinatra

Link to news article would be good ..😁

For those who live in a news bubble (or use a Huawei phone where google search doesn’t work)…

Biggest News Story in every publication and news website today

binners

I think we can look forward to a lot more of this type of nonsense now Trump has clearly embarked on a full scale trade war.

They were saying on Radio 4 this morning that it was likely to be totally counter-productive (gee…who’d have thunk it?)

franksinatra

(gee…who’d have thunk it?)

Trump will have planned for this though, he is after all a very stable genius.

DrJ

(or use a Huawei phone where google search doesn’t work)…

Google doesn’t work in China anyway – a bit disconcerting when you head out of your hotel for a wander round and then realise you can’t navigate back using Google Maps 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

Today’s news though is a game changer.

Is it though? From what I heard on the BBC it was a big non-story. Probably fed to the BBC by Apple or other Huawei competitors.

New designs of Huawei smartphones are set to lose access

But when Google launches the next version of Android later this year, it may not be available on Huawei devices.

Future Huawei devices may no longer have …

Huawei said it would continue to provide security updates and after sales services to all existing Huawei

Existing Huawei smartphone users will be able to update apps and push through security fixes – (this includes phones already on the market)

edhornby

I had a Hwuawei phone a while back, it was very cheap because I needed one quick. It had a fair bit of bloatware on it and the updates were slow to receive, nothing wrong with the hw itself.
    I replaced it with a nokia, which I prefer because it’s a completely vanilla android release.

The trade war that Don is starting is just daft but what do you expect, this is Don we’re talking about. But because of google’s decision I probably would avoid a hwuawei handset because getting updates without delay is the best way of securing (also get a password manager and don’t just give out your details without being smart about it).

FWIW I don’t think Hwuawei are mass snooping in real-time, the hwuawei oversight people are more concerned with the general code quality they produce which could be spiked by other miscreants, and china’s general policy of ‘hand it over’. link if you want the full geek
    https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/blog-post/blog-post-security-complexity-and-huawei-protecting-uks-telecoms-networks

the-muffin-man

If the Chinese government can force companies in their country to do their bidding then probably every household appliance/computer/phone we use already has spyware installed.

dissonance

This move smacks more of protectionism of Apple products

Its more Cisco and the other infrastructure companies and the fight for 5g patents.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I doubt trumps team even considered the smart phone market

I’d love to see a (judiciously pared down to only the interesting ones) list of trump towers’ holdings. I’m not suggesting conspiracy here but I’ve little doubt they’re very conscious of the share price of a company as big as apple, he’s not exactly known for doing things which left him out of pocket is he

kerley
    Free Member

My prediction is that Huawei (or another Chinese company with investment by state) will create their own OS. China will then prohibit any phones not using their OS.

A billion potential phone and OS sales lost for US companies. Huawei could then sell outside of China with the new Chinese OS and knock out Google and Apple (or if not knock them out then make them second to the Chinese OS/phone)

tinribz
    Free Member

Now seems like a good time to buy one if the prices drop.

DezB
    Free Member

My prediction is that Huawei (or another Chinese company with investment by state) will create their own OS.

That’s what I thought when I heard it this morning – headhunt a bunch of Apple and Google techies.. might take a year, but sounds like they’ll have at least that long to get on track.

chewkw
    Free Member

It’s all very predictable as it is a trade war. Sooner or later it will be related to all goods from China directly or indirectly and other services as well.

It is just a trade war no big deal as this is a normal behaviour in all industrial sectors but in this case country wise. i.e. competition.

The banning of Google to update Huawei is in fact a good thing.

Good move by Trump to create more competitors in the market. The more the West push the East the better the East will become. This means the East will now have to start to developing their own technology etc … they will need to be more innovative to stand on their own from now on.

Hopefully this means the world will have more choices and alternative platforms to choose from.

As for spying etc … all of them do it.

p/s: not buying it now as I got a Samsung but was thinking of Huawei as a second phone for future … will wait and see now. Hopefully, in five years time they have even better platform.

dissonance

My prediction is that Huawei (or another Chinese company with investment by state) will create their own OS

Thats not a prediction they already have done so as have various other companies to try and give themselves options (Samsung for example have their own OS) since tying themselves to Android always had risks.

P-Jay
    Free Member

No, but just because they’re in bed with the Chinese Government.

I **** hate to say it, I hate Apple fanbois and all their utterly blind devotion to the brand, but in simple terms we’ve got a Cyber Security Consultant we work with, yeah I know the industry is full of Snake Oil Salesmen, but we’ve known and trusted this Guy for 15 years.

Part of what we do with via him is external and mobile device security, Android is a nightmare – effectively if you want staff to use Android safely you need to tie the thing down so it’s near useless. Even something as innocent as having Facebook on a device that can access secure data is difficult to manage, but give users unlimited access to install anything from the various places you can get apps from? Not a chance.

The only requirement we have to use iPhones is that they have to be running current versions of iOS.

However, if it was only a personal phone, I wouldn’t worry about Huawei too much, the Chinese government can read all the ‘Mad Bantz’ between me and my mates if they like, or see how many MTB vids I watch on YT.

kerley
    Free Member

Thats not a prediction

You seemed to have missed out the key second point “China will then prohibit any phones not using their OS.” And also state funded which I am guessing the Samsung OS wasn’t.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I bought one. The camera was rubbish, so I sent it back. Cool story bro, etc.

edhornby

There is enough android base code out there to build a completely new OS to fork out (Samsung’s phones are more of a layer of their own on top of the android base rather than a full new release) but the sticking point would be the apps.

If you bought a hwuawei phone tomorrow it’d probably be fine but logic says anything else Samsung, nokia, Motorola etc are all equally useable and don’t carry the risk.

Cougar

There’s a handy “so what” guide here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48334739

My take on this is that it’s less of a problem Right Now than it will be in a couple of years time, which gives Huawei time to get on the Giant Wotsit’s “approved” list in the interim.

Worse case scenario, you’ll lose GApps and security updates, and it’ll take XDA-Devs half an hour to get round that (see also, Amazon Android devices).

Reckon I’m filing this under “meh” for now.

AlexSimon

Pretty fascinating watching this play out. Lots going on with Government ties, fraud convictions, 5G contracts & investments and security concerns.

BTW Huawei have already said they have an OS ready to go, but I can’t imagine it’s tempting given the success of previous non-android/iOS operating systems.

franksinatra

Worse case scenario, you’ll lose GApps and security updates, and it’ll take XDA-Devs half an hour to get round that (see also, Amazon Android devices).

Reckon I’m filing this under “meh” for now.

But, would you buy a new Huawei now? It seems a risk not worth taking.

chewkw
    Free Member

There will definitely be very strong impact on the Huawei sales in the West.

In the short term Huawei will suffer a bit but in the long run, if they can innovate, then there will be a “new” player in town …

llama

It has come a long way since the early 2000’s when their nickname was ‘WhoAreWe’ and they were engaged in collaboration projects with a certain US tech company who has now all but disappeared.

Obviously this is about trade and Don showing his voters how much of a man he is. Security of HW phones is not really the issue as all makes of phone are at risk from the crap people put on them. It’s security of the network that is the issue when moving into a future where more and more stuff it reliant on it. In terms of a security/attack it is a case of probability of occurrence low, but impact potentially enormous, so concerns are understandable. However networks are more likely to be disrupted or insecure through genuine incompetence and/or software fault rather than malicious intent, so it is not really worth worrying about IMO.

Nico
    Free Member

I think Google are just implementing Trump’s thing he signed. Trump tends to tweet first, then act (maybe) and finally think. Google are just taking him literally, as he has acted and signed this thing. Give it a few months and there’ll be some sort of deal done.

Huawei are apparently the second biggest phone manufacturer. Number one isn’t Apple but Samsung, so they’re the biggest immediate beneficiary.

There was some interesting stuff on Radio 4 this morning. Huawei is owned by its employees (according to Huawei UK boss) but actually run by a “trades union” with a panel elected every five years who make the decisions. So pretty much the Chinese communist party.

GCHQ were said to be more worried about the slapdash quality of Huawei’s software, particularly with regard to security, rather than back-door stuff.

GCHQ director says Huawei’s engineering is “very shoddy”

dissonance

You seemed to have missed out the key second point

Because it is irrelevant. They dont need to ban anything. Look at the bias in the market anyway. They might need to get the other companies to buy into it but thats about it. China has been very protectionist without quite needing to ban things for some time.

footflaps

My prediction is that Huawei (or another Chinese company with investment by state) will create their own OS.

In China consumers don’t care about the OS and only want the WeChat app, which covers everything they need. In international markets people want apps and services they already know like Outlook, Word, Gmail, Googlemaps etc.

With their own OS, they have nothing to offer consumers that they want without access to MS / Google Apps and services…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

BTW Huawei have already said they have an OS ready to go, but I can’t imagine it’s tempting given the success of previous non-android/iOS operating systems.

Presumably if it had to run on the same hardware as android it could be made similar enough that it was a 5 minute job for developers to move apps to?

Unlike apple and Android (or Windows or blackberry) where apps often share nothing more than a similar user interface.

chewkw
    Free Member

Because it is irrelevant. They dont need to ban anything. Look at the bias in the market anyway. They might need to get the other companies to buy into it but thats about it. China has been very protectionist without quite needing to ban things for some time.

Probably everyone will need a different mobile phone in future when they travel beyond Turkey to the East where the world is divided into two big sector East vs West …. 🤣

bear-uk
    Free Member

I have the P20 pro and not worried by the latest handbags spat. I’m sure it will sort itself out and if not then I will root the thing and stick another Rom on it at sometime.

footflaps

Probably everyone will need a different mobile phone in future when they travel beyond Turkey to the East where the world is divided into two big sector East vs West …

In the old days you needed a different phone for North America as they had chosen two different standards, IS95 and IS136, rather than GSM. Eventually they realised that going it alone put them at a disadvantage and jumped on the 3GPP bandwagon…

footflaps

Presumably if it had to run on the same hardware as android it could be made similar enough that it was a 5 minute job for developers to move apps to?

They won’t have access to the Apps source code, nor the back end servers etc…

Cougar

As for trusting Huawei,

First off, it’s perhaps hard to appreciate in the West just how big Huawai is. They’re the second largest mobile phone manufacturer in the world – ahead of Apple and behind Samsung. They’re not some 2-bit knock-off merchants. If they were secretly sending photos of your dog back to China, they’d almost certainly have been caught by now.

Whilst there are certainly connections to the Chinese government (JHJ to the forum with a photo of Jimmy Savile and a Chinaman in the same room please), the US government launched an investigation into Huawei (and ZTE) a couple of years back and found… nothing. The US embargo on Huawei – and by extension today’s developments also I expect – is essentially a backlash to Trump going “give us all your secrets” and Huawei telling them to jog on. They have a fear of Chinese tech companies based on, well, just that, fear. Probably with a side order of the Red Threat never really going away in many American minds.

To my mind there’s two problems here. Firstly, any compromised software implanted at the behest of China’s government – a backdoor for instance – could equally well be exploited against them. They surely know this. Secondly, it’s elephants and turtles all the way down, Chinese-made components are in pretty much every piece of consumer electronics out there. If there is a security issue then it’s potentially far, far wider reaching than simply Huawei phones. Personally I’m more worried about my lightbulbs.

Cougar

By the time it’s a problem – assuming it is – the phone you buy today will be obsolete anyway. Outside of the fruit-based ecosystem I can’t offhand think of any phone manufacturer who promises handset updates longer than two years after launch.

chewkw
    Free Member

If they were secretly sending photos of your dog back to China, they’d almost certainly have been caught by now.

They can have me nakid photos if they want …. 🤣

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a Huawei phone?’ is closed to new replies.