Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)
  • Would you buy a house at the moment?
  • twinw4ll

Yes.
    We accepted an offer a week ago, the buyer now wants to renegotiate, we’re prepared for a hit if we can get the property we’re interested in buying for a similar discount.
    We are now in a world where making plans means nothing.

Premier Icon 40mpg
    Subscriber

May be exchanging contracts today or in the next few days.

I’m stressed and nervous – laying awake since 2.30 this morning nervous.

But as we are downsizing and effectively clearing the mortgage, very keen to get it done. We’ve said well exchange and move same day if necessary. Could be a busy week!

Premier Icon nickdavies
    Subscriber

I am. Or at least planning to.

Agreed before all this, sold as a buy to let to a doctor, im buying from a couple buying a new build. Im in retail, probably going to be closing the doors for a while tomorrow. So pretty much all the worst things that it could be at the moment, luckily only a small chain.

My Searches were ordered a week ago, council now shut so no idea if ill have those and exchange is just after easter controlled by the new build property sale. Unlikely ill get searches by then.

If somehow all the stars align and this comes off then ill still be going ahead, its a larger house and im on my own. Mortgage increase by nearly £200 a month plus other costs which is concerning, but the way i see it if i cant afford that i will be screwed either way cos i wont be able to afford my house now – and as far as a crash goes, a small correction and slowdown is probably likely but not a crash as govt wont allow it. Too many very big mortgages. Even if, id rather get stuck in a nicer house for a few years.

Most people think I’m nuts for doing it i think, but hey.

We’ll all be counting the cost of this for a long time, but i think the economic factors at play will at least keep the housing market stable. Its all guesswork though.

Premier Icon Caher
    Subscriber

I’m half hoping the survey reveals some issues then I can renegotiate the offer. Feels a little bad form but the same property increased in value 25% in 3 years.

Premier Icon b33k34
    Subscriber

Just had a mail from Fidelity. I’m sure it’s all going to be fine.

We’re writing to let you know that a number of UK property fund providers have temporarily suspended dealing of shares in their funds. You can find a list of the suspended funds below.
    It is no longer possible to buy or sell shares in these funds. It is not yet clear if – or when – dealing in these funds will resume.
    These decisions have been taken due to the current turbulent market conditions, which has meant the fund’s independent valuers have advised that they’re unable to accurately value the properties within the funds. Under these circumstances, the funds’ authorised corporate director or depositary believe it’s in the best interests of investors to suspend dealing within the funds.

Premier Icon Daffy
    Subscriber

I’m not sure there’ll be a crash. There’s still a housing shortage, there are now low interest rates and significant potential for mortgage holidays from lenders due to the situation.

Almost everyone who has a house will stay put, the small amount that do make it onto the market will then be overbid by FTB gorging on cheap rates. If there’s any decline it will be small and short and we’ll see another increase just like we did from 2008 to 2018.

exsee

House prices have just dropped off a cliff. Personal circumstances and value would still dictate whether now’s the time for you.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

It’s going to take years before the economy is back to normal after this. I expect house sales to drop to an absolute minimum eg just distressed sales such as deaths etc.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

House prices have just dropped off a cliff.

have they? where?

Marin

If I was good to go then yes. No one has a clue what’s going to happen. If house prices crash whose going to sell and if they do competition will be fierce as investors look to cash in.

Premier Icon big_scot_nanny
    Subscriber

or about to exchange contracts. It’s stressful at the best of times but right now my bp would be through the roof.

Certainly proving this way for us. We should be in the process of closing, then starting the move back to Scotland from Switzerland, and there are so many variables and unknowns now being thrown into the mix, we are just about shutting down mentally. It’s horrific.

Premier Icon Dickyboy
    Subscriber

We were due to be mortgage free tomorrow 😭 (selling Mrs dB & her ex’s house) – first buyer in two link chain pulled out as they are a supply teacher…

So still paying mortgage & bills for two houses, looks like we should be able to get ex off deeds and mortgage but really don’t want to be landlords 😕 neither of us have secure jobs in this climate either. So near yet so far..

Premier Icon Speeder
    Subscriber

I exchanged on Friday and the move is happening at the end of this week. Fingers crossed.

I want to move, we need to move. There’s a small chain and we’re contractually obligated to go through with it but if we go into “lockdown” between now and then who knows what the situation is.

Am I worried there will be a crash? and I’ve just added £100+k to the mortgage? I’m not thinking about it too hard. We’re moving 1/2 a mile in an area with an outstanding local school that sucks people in as an alternative to private education so house prices are err bouyant (if not daft). Could it drop? Yes but we’re in this for the long term. I’m more worried about getting the move done on the day for now. I’ll worry about he rest later.

At least I started a full time job at the start of the month where I can work remotely and I’m not contracting any more. That would be bad.

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

Found the link below through Grace Blakely who I follow on Twitter, I realise that the publication is quite to the left of more mainstream publications. If the debt mountain starts to slide then it’s not looking good for our economic future, I guess if it gets that bad then there will need to be a worldwide consensus on how to proceed and I fear it will not be to the benefit of “us”.

https://tribunemag.co.uk/2020/03/the-coming-debt-deluge

devash

Might not relate to the UK market but myself and my wife put an offer in for a flat here in Spain literally 3 weeks before this Corona thing started. Mortgage was agreed in principle and everything.

Due to an issue with the seller wanting to delay her move out until July (she is a government official and is relocating somewhere else in Spain) we’ve found ourselves in a situation where no contract has been signed and no money has changed hands. This might actually be a blessing in disguise. We’re now in two minds whether we should back out or wait and see how things transpire over the next two months.

Premier Icon tjmoore
    Subscriber

It may be the right time soon theoretically if prices crash but only if you’re not selling also, unless you can manage to sell now or already have, wait a few months then buy.

Practically it’s not going to proceed during a lock down and maybe for some time with big backlogs.

There’s also already a backlog with Land Registry even before all this and it will be worse after.

dovebiker

We agree to sell 3 weeks ago (Hampshire to Scotland) FTB with only 50% mortgage – survey was last week so still waiting outcome and potential renegotiation on price. We were hoping to self-build but chances are remote as chance of getting planning permission this year will be remote as councils have shut-down non-essential services. Hoping this will blow-through in about 12 weeks to give us a chance to move in the summer. By the look of properties / prices in Scotland, it’s a flat market as most ‘new’ properties are last years so if we get beaten down in price, we’d hope for movement at the other end. If buyers try to drop by more than a reasonable amount we’ll stay put.

Premier Icon Speeder
    Subscriber

Oh shit . . . *

* #UKLOCKDOWN

Premier Icon peekay
    Subscriber

So I guess we will not be exchanging next week then and moving soon after. Going to be very tight in here once our first child is born in a few weeks.

Premier Icon TedC
    Subscriber

Going to be interesting call with solicitor tomorrow, was expecting to exchange in the next week or so.

We have a short chain, our buyer is in rented, house we’re buying is vacant possession (separated couple – him now in China, her in Nottingham, house in Warwick) so hopefully delays can be managed.

pinch_flat

Ah nuts. We were meant to complete and move on Friday after starting the process in October!!! What do you reckon the chances are that moving from one home to another would be considered acceptable? yes I know I know, only meant tongue in cheek.

Premier Icon Tiboy
    Subscriber

We are supposed to move from one rented flat to another next week, contract signed and notice handed in, any ideas what the options are? Will it be legitimate travel?

Premier Icon Speeder
    Subscriber

We’re still moving Friday – breach of contract if not as we’ve already exchanged and all advice says go ahead but be careful.

Will be observing the social distancing protocols with anyone involved (agent can throw us the keys and we can keep well away from removals men) and can’t have help from anyone (both sets of parents were willing) which will make it a very long day but sure we’ll manage it.

Not sure when we’ll be able to have a house warming party or even get to know the neighbours but at least we’ll be “staying at home” one way or the other.

Good luck to anyone in a similar position, it’s been a fairly stressful 12 hours.

G

jumble

Good luck with the move.

Gove on TV this morning said if you can delay it then delay it. It seems pretty obvious that an activity with so many people involved and a change of location is a big risk of transfer.

The Law Society has been useless on this. Doing the right thing puts you in breach of contract – madness.

PS we complete in May

poolman

Looking at rightmove new sales instructions the asking prices seem to be as if nothing has happened. Even London btl stuff is priced optimistacaly. Amasing really, my agent said last year they sold 3 to investors, so even before this the investment market had disappeared.

Any forced sales through divorce, debt or death will have to be priced attractively. Anyone who can wait surely will.

pinch_flat

So we’ve had it confirmed that we will be moving on Friday. Very glad to get it out the way but it is going to be very stressful over the next few days – two young kids (including 8 week baby) were going get shipped off to leave me an empty house to pack. Now I have to pack around them while also leaving them entertainment options!!!
    Moving day is going to be even more challenging I fear.

Premier Icon Speeder
    Subscriber

Best of luck PinchFlat that sounds like a rubbish situation. Ours are 7 & 9 and are going a bit stir crazy already

Premier Icon boomerlives
    Subscriber

House prices off a cliff? Must be Norfolk.

null

LD

Friend of ours was due to conclude sale yesterday. Everything done until Law Society of Scotland said it would not allow funds transfers to go ahead at the moment! So no sale for her! Anyone got a clue why this could be?

Premier Icon WildHunter2009
    Subscriber

We completed about a month ago so stupidly glad we squeezed in. Especially as slightly narrow window we can buy in due to the wifes visa. Admittedly now she has been dropped to part time and im about to get furloughed its a bit scary!!

Premier Icon csb
    Subscriber

All this talk of asking prices not showing a drop. As ever, aski h prices are irrelevant, it’s the sold prices that count. Give it a month or so (or maybe longer if the stats are delayed) to see what damage this has really done. Forced sales through job loss and bereavement a while off yet.

Premier Icon tomd
    Subscriber

Evidently not, our sale has fallen through. Still seems to be a stream of houses coming on the market in the area I’m looking, but that could just be a lag with instructions from 1 to 2 weeks ago going up. Can’t imagine estate agents would even bother now, not to mention getting pictures taken and stuff like that.

dovebiker

Quite a few of the ‘new’ properties coming to the market are last years judging by the photos and state of the gardens. Lots of people still want to move – jobs, families whatever. It’ll take at least 6 months before estates get settled, forced evictions etc to start impacting on prices. With commercial property, the impact might be more immediate as investors seek to divest portfolios because of the impact on retail – who would want o put their more in shopping centres?

Premier Icon peekay
    Subscriber

Just spoken to Estate Agent and Solicitor. We are still looking good to exchange early in April with completion before the end of the month. Ea/Solicitor combo have an exchange on another chain tomorrow so will be using that to see how things are truly impacted but so far they don’t see any problems. Can all be done online or by phone other than key collection.

The two transactions below us in our chain are downsizing, so keen to keep momentum to release capital. We are upsizing but keen to get somewhere bigger for soon to arrive kid (both of our jobs seem safe). The place we are buying is vacant, so they are also keen to continue to get cash.

We expect this to be a home for decades, so any short term price adjustment shouldn’t really be an issue for us. Just want to get in there.

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Friend of ours was due to conclude sale yesterday. Everything done until Law Society of Scotland said it would not allow funds transfers to go ahead at the moment! So no sale for her! Anyone got a clue why this could be?

Registers of Scotland has closed due to the lockdown so no new sales in Scotland can be registered. No registration = no concluded sale

Hob Nob

All this talk of asking prices not showing a drop. As ever, aski h prices are irrelevant, it’s the sold prices that count. Give it a month or so (or maybe longer if the stats are delayed) to see what damage this has really done. Forced sales through job loss and bereavement a while off yet.

I wouldn’t say that’s unique to the circumstances right now, the past, or any point in the future. There is always someone, somewhere looking to fire sale their way out of a property. Either you get very lucky & that’s the property you are interested in anyway, or you accept a compromise somewhere.

Desirable property in a good area always goes strong.

Rockape63

Indeed, it will take a while before even those in serious financial difficulties will be forced to put their house on the market. With banks offering mortgage holidays and everyone pretty much locked down for the next month or two.

Even then, no one is going to give away their biggest/only asset. Asking prices will stay high, those not in dire straights will keep their powder dry …..so the result will be very few houses up for sale, until the buyers come back.

Clearly there may be opportunities, but think prices will stay strong.

You will need a 40% deposit for a new purchase with a mortgage. Mortgage valuers not able to carry out visits for mortgage valuations so lenders now going to 60% max lending so desk top valuations can be carried out

Premier Icon peekay
    Subscriber

Just had an email from the removals company saying that the British Association of Removals has told all removals companies to stop work unless they are literally mid-move with things on a van.

That is going to make things a little more difficult.

Premier Icon prawny
    Subscriber

Our house went SSTC at the end of feb so we’re just working through the paperwork now. I’m in no rush to move at the minute but I’ll not be the one stopping it going through. I’m lucky that work is carrying on as normal but from home, I’m happy with the price we paid and the mortgage is sorted.

The guy buying ours is downsizing following a breakup and the house we’re buying is because the guy is moving in with his fiancé so hopefully it will just be delayed while we wait to be able to have documentation witnnessed and for removal companies to go back to work 🤞🏻

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.