Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Would you…
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I commissioned a book several years ago that was a5 folded to a6, the size you’re proposing. It was something designed for people to stick in their bags, pockets, etc so they had it for reference.

I’ve just rooted around and found it. From what I remember the feedback I got was that the format was good but there wasn’t enough info on the pages. It was designed with limited text on the page as too much text made it looked crammed in.

If you want to have 30 minutes reading material on A6 then you will struggle to make the design work. You need images to break up the text.

Just my thoughts from experience.

Thanks Gary, noted.

30 minutes was a stab in the dark to be honest…

warton
    Free Member

30 minutes was a stab in the dark to be honest…

I read viz cover to cover in about 30 minutes. I suggest you would be looking at 5 minutes, maybe 6 or 7.

So, would I pay to print ut something that will keep me entertained for less than 10 minutes? No, definitely not.

you avoided my price question, thats the really important past, you said it would be value for money.

Bike mags are about 100 glossy A4 pages? they’re 4 quid, so I would suggest anything over 20 or 30 pence would be too high.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

back/front cover or first/last…

copy needs some tweaking but you get the gist i’m sure…

warton
    Free Member

Looks good, to be honest,

but most people will print that in black and white, as the cost of colour printing will be huge, so it will be very dark. on top of that, double sided printing, with that amount of dark will reduce the paper to mush, if you’re using a run of the mill inkjet.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Looks good, to be honest,

but most people will print that in black and white, as the cost of colour printing will be huge, so it will be very dark. on top of that, double sided printing, with that amount of dark will reduce the paper to mush, if you’re using a run of the mill inkjet.

Cheers, it’s only one double sided every three weeks,…and of course there would be pdf/online options.

warton
    Free Member

i would say your best bet would be online only, and look at your income stream as being advertising once your product (it would have to be a website really, IMO) gains popularity.

I would honestly say there is no market for a magazine that people have to print out themselves.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i would say your best bet would be online only, and look at your income stream as being advertising once your product (it would have to be a website really, IMO) gains popularity.

I would honestly say there is no market for a magazine that people have to print out themselves.

cheers for the feedback – this is kind of just a side project at the moment, it’s all about the enjoyment, as long as someone enjoys it, that’s fine for now,…then who knows what might happen further down the line.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m not sure about your product but I’ve enjoyed reading this thread, which is a good start

Mbnut
    Free Member

Charging for it might be tough… some good online mags out there for free,

http://www.imbikemag.com/

No room for advertising with the paper folding format but hey… good luck.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Bear in mind that (well in London anyway) there are a free newspapers available each morning and evening. The Metro and the Evening Standard are the biggies here. They are many, many, mnay pages long and I would imagine, targetted at to 30 min average read time.

What you’re proposing would probably be able to be read in the time it would take me to print it, go over to the printer and get back to my desk!

I’d stick to something on-line. Maybe e-mail a pdf?

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Would you…’ is closed to new replies.