Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Would this be a good intro to the Peak District?
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/routes/1-the-peak-district/15-jacobs-ladder.html

Never ridden in the Peaks before, but work have me going down south in a couple of weeks and I have some days off after. Can do a day’s ride in the Peaks (have booked the Travelodge in Glossop) and going to do Sticks Pass in the Lakes the next day on the way home.

Would that loop above be a good representation of the area?

I can get myself around pretty much any trail I’ve come across in Scotland or the Lakes and will have a full sus with me.

riklegge

Yes, that’s a fairly representative route. Jacobs Ladder is a classic descent, I suppose to get another Peak “tick” it would be tempting to extend the route or change the start to enable a descent of the beast (goes towards A57 from Hope Cross). Another alternative is the classic route around Ladybower, but you would miss Jacobs that way.

Garry_Lager

Yes, definitely – classic route.

It’s longer than its 18 miles suggests, but its not an all dayer, either – many options though to extend if you want. Hayfield side prob easiest.

jekkyl

yup cracking loop, plenty of speed and tech, lots of climbing too but not too much.

crazy-legs

If you’re staying in Glossop, start your ride from Hayfield (point 6 on the map in your link). Much easier to drive to! There’s a large Pay & Display there.

You can do the route either way round. There’s a LOT of climbing on it but most of it is pretty rocky all-weather stuff. Top of Rushup might be a bit of a bog at the moment.

That’s pretty much THE Peak District classic ride though, it appears about 3 times a year in MBR as they recycle old articles.

I’d factor in 3hrs minimum to do it in without wrecking yourself. 4hrs is more realistic with a few stops, gate opening etc. Just so you’re prepared on a timescale!

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

The grassy climb up to broad clough wouldn’t be much fun, better to avoid that by going up the bridleway between points 5 and 8. Still do the loop as it stands just go up to Jacobs via an easier stone track rather than boggy grass.

Personally for me the descents around Ladybower (cheeky ones included) are way are better than Jacobs as Jacobs is usually busy (with walkers who panic) and so spoils the top and middle sections which are great. The bottom section is just big boulders to ride over and at speed, rim dinger territory.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Ok, sounds like I’m pretty much on the money.
    Did plan on starting at Hayfield

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d also pick Ladybower over Jacob’s if I was giving people one day in the Peaks.

But it’s not a bad ride still.

Tracey

We have stopped riding Cavedale and Jacobs on weekends and Bank Holidays due to the amount of walkers on them.
    Its a classic route, mostly enjoyable especially when its not busy.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

It’ll be a weekday in February. Surely not too bad?

I guess if I like it (sure I will), Ladybower will still be there later this year?

What I want is a ride that is a) good, b) easy to navigate (gpx to Garmin plus text description saved from website) and has a place for me to park my car, take a piss and eat a pie at the end. It’s a flying visit: a recce if you will.

ampthill

You can’t argue that it doesn’t meet your needs

chakaping
    Free Member

Jacob’s is probably a bit easier for navigation TBH.

riklegge

Yeah, a weekday in Feb sounds the ideal time for Jacobs, as long as its not covered in sheet ice.

docrobster
    Free Member

A weekday in February you say?
    https://strava.app.link/BVqN3Wexz3
    I saw about 4 people last year. Glorious weather too

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Nice pics!
    Looking forward to this ride.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Just beware at the amount of climbing involved on this one. A very lot in just 18 miles.
    It however mostly avoids the most horrendous mud that you can find in most other parts of the Peaks at the moment!
    There will however be 2 muddy sections most notably the Hollins Cross Climb and along the top of Rushup Edge at the moment but the rest of it is mostly stone.

If you do it opposite way round then most of Jacobs Ladder uphill is a walk.

ampthill

If you do it opposite way round then most of Jacobs Ladder uphill is a walk.

Try telling that to Nick Craig

poltheball
    Free Member

Enjoy – I did a very similar route (from Hayfield) a few weeks ago. As per grannyjone, the Hollins Cross climb and Rushup run are both pretty muddy just now, so the going is a bit slower than you’d expect. Moving time was 2h40m, but factor in butty/picture stops and a meaty puncture/buckle and you can round that up to about 4hrs elapsed.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

eBike so climbing no bother!

chevychase

I’d be tempted to drive into Castleton and start from there, take in the broken road up and go around the top and down Jacobs, then head up towards Hope Cross, do a blat around the tops near ladybower, then back over and around to castleton.

I sort of consider Jacobs to be the “western end” of the peak, and the ladybower inn side of Ladybower as the “eastern end” and everything in between north and south as the “main” bit – but YMMV.

carlos
    Free Member

eBike so climbing no bother!

Pfft… in that case.

Start from Sett Valley car park in Hayfield, Up Highgate Road, Descend into Coldwell Clough, Climb to Edale Cross, Descend Jacobs, Climb Green Lands to Hollins Cross, Descend Back Tor Farm, Along the road and up Jagger Clough to Hope Cross, Descend The Beast, Climb back up through the Woods to Wooler Knoll, Descend Roman Road to Hope, Up Pindale, Dirtlow Rake, Descend Jacobs, Climb the Broken Road, Rushup Edge, Roych Clough, Turn right off Pennine Way and descend into Coldwell Clough again, but keep going down past the Campsite. Go for food in either Rosie’s or the one opposite the Church that does nice Chocolates.

Nice easy drive back over to Glossop once you’re done

grannyjone
    Free Member

You’ve definetly got the right tool for the job then!

Probably will get round that 18 mile circuit in an hour and a half or less. Only the gates will get in your way.

It will be an excellent fun ride on an E Bike. Much less so on a regular bike due to the amount of steep climbs.
    I remember going round there on my regular Trail Bike multiple times in the past. The climbs are so punishing I was often blowing myself out just to go slightly quicker than the walkers, of which there were many!!

chakaping
    Free Member

Now he tells us.

You could do both.

Or Ladybower and Cut Gate.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Good workout lifting an eBike over gates though

grannyjone
    Free Member

There shouldn’t be any locked gates on the Bridleways in the Peak District, definetely all the Gates on the Jacobs Ladder route will open

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Would this be a good intro to the Peak District?’ is closed to new replies.