Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Would St Foy work for a 3 day break next summer?
  • dantsw13

I really fancy a week with the White Room, but realistically, a week for a bike holiday aint going to happen.

Would the marked trails in St Foy be enough for 3 days of lift assisted riding? A bunch of us have been to Morzine/LesGets for the last 2 years, but I really fancy somewhere different.

Northwind

I could ride around St Foy for 3 days… If, if if, I could find the best trails and catch the uplift. To be fair I never pay attention to my surroundings when guided but I’ve no clue which of the best trails are mapped, and I don’t really understand the resort uplift- where he goes, where he picks up and when.

TBH I could ride ace of spades all day 🙂

Course, you’re also handy for Les Arcs and fairly close to La Thuile, which has pretty magnificent riding with the benefit of chairlifts.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Chamonix and/or Verbier (they are about an hours drive apart in the summer).

Trail Addiction did long weekends in Les Arcs last year fyi. I skied with White Room and they are excellent (summer weeks sold out really early btw).

wallop

Oh, La Thuile. How I love thee.

bland

how are you planning on getting there? Transfers from geneva are not cheap, circa 400Euro if i remember right so unless there is a group to fill the van it can easily make it unviable. you could hire a car tough but not cheap.

Driving would be a non-goer really

stumpytom
    Free Member

Bourg st Maurice would be an ideal base for three days. You can get the funicular from town up to Les Arcs and it runs unitl about 7pm so you can session ‘black 8’ to your hearts contents.

Tignes and Val are only a 40 minute drive up the valley and it is all free there with a lot of pisted/mapped riding. La rossiere and La Thuile is only up and over the St Bernard pass from Bourg and La Thuile in particualr has some wicked runs, very similar to Aosta/Pila further down the valley. The only thing I would say is that unfortunately La Thuila and La Rossiere are not linked by lift so it does involve some climbing to do both in a day.

ianv
    Free Member

Would the marked trails in St Foy be enough for 3 days of lift assisted riding?

If you relied on the station uplift that would mean maybe, 2/3 or so runs a day. Its a joke.

For a short trip, fly to Grenoble and you are in Deuz alpes in an hour or Vaujany even quicker.

dantsw13

We have driven to Morzine for the last 2 years for a long weekend, so only another hr on really. It sounds like Whiteroom manage with the St Foy Uplift Van, so it cant be that bad can it?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@dantsw13 – I think the key to Whiteroom is they mix it up with their own uplift, I believe they rely on resort uplift exclusively only on one day, rest of the time they are driving to trail head or another lift system. Given what you want I’d go to Les Arcs / Peisey Valandry if you want that area. You could easily do 3 days in Chamonix self guided with maps / bike book plus a day in Verbier bike park plus a natural route or two down to Tzoumaz and likewise back to car in Le Chables lift car park. I think you need to grow the trip to 4 days riding !

jambalaya
    Free Member

Reading this Sunday, ie warm up day is the only one riding exclusively in Ste Foy, the other days may/may not start from there but they ride down to valley floor before heading off elsewhere

Whiteroom Classic Singletrack Week

mrhoppy

And Whiteroom have a new chalet in Seez now anyway, partly due to issues on the uplift at St Foy I believe.

ianv
    Free Member

It sounds like Whiteroom manage with the St Foy Uplift Van, so it cant be that bad can it?

Maybe they book it exclusively for the day. I did one day there last year and managed two runs despite arriving at about 9.30! About an hour wait for the driver to turn up, plenty of faffing around by him and a wait for some imaginary other people, 30 mins up lift, no chance of being picked up in the valley (as he was waiting for some more imaginary people)so a road ride back to the station x2, he took a massive lunch break and finished early because it rained. The set up was properly mickey mouse.

Anyway, what about Andorra? some guys this summer did 4 days at Vallnord for Euro 250 (Nice hotel, transfer and lift pass incl) plus flights to Barcelona.

Northwind

It’s a different driver now fwiw. Obviously I’ve only seen teh uplift through whiteroom guest eyes, and it was more than adequate- I’d kill for the same back here! We did 3 runs, dropoffs in 2 different areas, some pedalling to access the trails… I could definitely do more riding in a day, mind, we didn’t rush at any point but it didn’t feel like we were waiting about either. Absolutely no bad riding and some phenomenal.

But I do reckon a chairlift resort probably makes more sense. We always seem to waste a lot of time at les arcs commuting between lifts, mind, a lot of the riding isn’t that quick to access from bourg.

Did I mention La Thuile is amazing? 😉

dantsw13

Thanks everybody – lots to digest in there.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Would St Foy work for a 3 day break next summer?’ is closed to new replies.